JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony RDR-GX7 Upgrade with Region-Free Hack Not Working
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garypen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Sony RDR-GX7 Upgrade File Question Reply with quote

I recently loaded up the device upgrade file found on Yahoo. I did some tweaking for my particular remote model and personal ergonomic preferences, of course. Overall, it works great.

My question concerns the region-free code entry process. I decided to program the step 1-5 commands into the numerical 1-5 keys, as I never use those keys for this device. I follow the instructions, as written in the file, pressing 1-5, then repeating. However, it doesn't work. As a matter of fact, the step 1 command is also the power toggle command, which powers the unit on (or off) as soon as I start the series of commands. That seems strange in and of itself.

Has anybody else been able to use the region-free process succesfully? Maybe Robman, as the file's author, can figure out what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only the "author" of the files in the sense that I collected the codes from elsewhere and put them together. I don't actually have a Sony DVD player myself.

I announced the creation of these files in this thread and I got the region free info from this CCF file.
garypen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I wonder if something may have happened during the transcoding of the CCF to JP1 that rendered the region-free codes ineffective?

Or, I may be doing something wrong.

Hopefully, someone has used one of these device upgrades to make their Sony DVD player/recorder region free, or attempted and failed, and can share their experience.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little searching and found this item at videohelp.com. They list the codes in the reverse order to the way they're listed in my file, and as I recall, the CCF doesn't label the steps, it just says to execute them from left to right, so I could easily have got them backwards.

So, try running them backwards and see what happens. The post with the pronto hex also suggests that you need to press each button twice (ie, 1,1,2,2,3,3,etc), but I haven't seen this mentioned before, so I would suggest that you try pressing them once first to see if that works. If the unit powers on at the end, run the sequence one more time. If that doesn't work, try pressing each button twice as you go.
garypen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try all of the above. I know that it works in some form. I've seen variations of this method mentioned succesfully in may places, utilizing laptops or Palms with special RC software, and the 12345 steps coded for that software. But, when I saw that somebody (you) had transcoded them to work in my JP1 remote, I was very happy!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can confirm that the steps are reversed, I will update the files. That's also why I'd like to know if you need to press each button twice or not.
garypen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you know.
garypen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If you can confirm that the steps are reversed, I will update the files. That's also why I'd like to know if you need to press each button twice or not.
It seems that they are reversed, based on where the power toggle is located in the order. However, sad to say, it didn't work for my GX7. But, nothing I have tried has worked. So, maybe the US versions of these models can't be fixed. I've seen that before with Sony's. They're a tough nut to crack.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back to me, I just updated the files to reflect this.
garypen

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Sony RDR-GX7 Upgrade with Region-Free Hack Not Working Reply with quote

Hi,

I downloaded and installed the file Sony_RDR-GX7_DVD_recorder_unit1.txt, which includes the 5 function codes to remove region restrictions. The hack doesn't seem to work on my GX7, and I have a few questions for the author, or anybody who has successfully used it, regarding the file and the hack process:

1. The 5 functions have contradicting labels. In the "functions" column, they are labelled steps 1 - 5. Yet, in the "notes" column, they are labelled in the reverse, 5 - 1! Which one is the correct order? (I have tried both ways, neither seems to work.)
2. The instructions say "make sure the player is in standby mode". Does that mean "off"? (Red LCD on power button?)
3. One of the 5 functions is "power". Can that be correct? It seems odd, especially if it is "step 1" as it claims in the functions column. (While the unit is powering up, and searching for a disk, it seems like it wouldn't respond to any other remote commands.)
4. It also says to press the buttons "left to right". What does that mean? (The buttons are spread out all over the remote, not in a linear left-right arrangement.)
5. Should the tray be empty?

FYI, I've modified the upgrade for a 15-2116. I've added the protocol. I've programmed the functions to number buttons 1-5, leaving all other buttons unassigned. It is able to communicate with the unit, as it powers up or down when the step 1 (or 5, depending on where you look) is depressed.

Thanks in advance for your help.
garypen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a friendly bump. Maybe this thread slipped in under the radar? I can't believe that nobody has tried the Sony region-free hack with a JP1 remote. Somebody should be familiar with it. Or, perhaps there is somebody who has done it with a Pronto, Palm, or Pocket PC, or laptop , who can offer some advice?

Thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that nobody's used it, it just that none of the experts have used it. Regular users tend to stop by the forums when they have a problem, so the people who might be happily using that upgrade are not here to answer your questions.
tnkrer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have this combination, so I cant comment on it. But I have an LG DVD player that I have remote hacked to make it region free.
2-3. Standby is power off with remote. Some players act differently when powered off from the front panel and powered off using remote.
In that case power being the first step might make sense. (it wont accept other commands if its not powered up). You might want to wait a little for the next step so that it does accept the command
4. Is it possible that they are left to right on the OEM remote?
5. Tray should be empty

hope that helps
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just merged this thread with a 2004 thread from Gary as there's additional info in that thread.
garypen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I thought I had tried it before. But, had forgotten about that thread.

During my recent attempt, I too had gotten a Pronto ccf and converted it to JP1, after failing with the initial JP1 upgrade file I downloaded from the forum. The codes are identical. But, the correct order does appear to be the one in the "notes" column, not in the function name column. (You may want to change that in the file).

I am also ashamed to say that I have not yet had a chance to test whether or not the modified hack works, as our region 2 disks are at a friends house right now. So, in fact, I may have actually been successful. The device made no beeps, nor had any screen confirmatuion, so I have no way of knowing until actually attempting to play a region 2 disk.

If successful, I will post my findings here, and upload a copy of the hack-only upgrade, which contains only the necessary 5 function codes, to the files section.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: