JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

how can i fix a DEAD Dtv SD-DVR40 w/bad HD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrAzYodaz

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: how can i fix a DEAD Dtv SD-DVR40 w/bad HD? Reply with quote

taken from http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=43981

i decided to start new thread as i dont have R15 no more.....

here's a copy and paste of my last question on that thread.... please reply here and not url above the above link only gives my ordeal over. and now i am happy..... its all good but i got a dead SD-DVR40 and i got the new unit hooked up.... new unit working.

how can i fix dead unit without opening up new unit with 3 year warrenty via squaretrade?

-------------------------------------------

CrAzYodaz wrote:
first of all ---- thanks everybody that has tried to help me with R15 and R10 models --- when i got the new package remember i was promised a R10 --- it was another R15

to make long story short, i was told to find a R10 for $100 bucks or less and D* would credit my bill ---- then i found out nobody as retailer allowed to sell R-10's anymore.

Quote:
These TiVo receivers have been factory refurbished. I bought several of these refurbished SD-DVR40 TiVo receivers from a local DIRECTV retailer who can no longer sell them due to DIRECTV's release of the "new" Directv+ DVR without TiVo service, or R15. This is DIRECTV's attempt to make more money off retailers by allowing retailers to sell only this DIRECTV+ model which, without TiVo software, lacks the highly regarded user-friendly guide and intuition of TiVo.

that was from ebay and i have the sd-r40 hooked up --- D* still refunding my $75.06 i paid for that item..... just scary that D* would pull all models of shelf other than there r-15 units

anyways..... it took many hours on phone..... i had SD-DVR40 that went dead.... D* replaced it with R15 --- the hassle ----- atleast i got my unit back.

so maybe i need to start a new thread.

cause now i got two SD-DVR40's --- one is hooked up......... the other with bad HD and nolonger boots up........ is there a way to fix my broken unit without opening up my new unit? to install larger HD or whatnot?

then again..... if i fix my old unit......... and fix and upgrade it....... then try to hook it back up....... D* might frown....?

i was told by D* to do whatever i want with old SD-DVR40 unit..... the one that is dead. "throw it in trash or whatever" i was told

and thanks in advance........ yes i got the R15 for $20 without contract...... then was given $100 spending limit were i found the new SD-DVR40 unit.... i confirmed with D* before ordering...... the $75.06 will be refunded to my account. --- this of course after i was promised the R10 and shipped another R15.

D* is good company...... it just takes allot of talking to supervisors

the 2nd R15 is shipped off and recieved.... getting a package empty box to ship back 1st R15 ...... then when they recieve that i will be refunded the $20 fee.......

so any hope for dead SD-DVR40?

maybe i should make a new thread?

again thanks for previous help..... and yes been D* customer over 9 years.

also thanks for any advice on how to fix dead SD-DVR40 unit Wink

Arrow Before JP1, the remote controlled everything
........................ NOW JP1 GIVES YOU THE CONTROL BACK!!

---------------------------
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to revive a dead DV-DVR40 is really completely outside the realm of JP1. I suggest you go looking for help in the TiVo Community Forums, in the "Upgrade Center" or "TiVo Underground".
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
whompus

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know it is the hdd thats bad. WeaKnees sell replacement hdd with os preinstalled on them here http://www.weaknees.com/tivo_rca_dvr40.php

Is it not as simple to replace a hdd in a tivo based system as it is in a replay?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: