JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SDA Being Held Low!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjmaye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: SDA Being Held Low! Reply with quote

I am not new to JP1, but I recently bought a new computer without a parallel port. I purchased a fully assembled cable. It worked with my OFA 9910 and 2 of my 6012B's with no problem. I then upgraded another 6012B with the eprom chip, jp1 connector and jumper2 jumped. Everything looked like it was OK until I hooked up to IR and did a check interface. "SDA being held low. Make sure batteries are installed in the remote".

I definitely don't claim to be a great solderer. The 6-pin connector was not problem. I did have a problem with soldering the chip. On the side of the chip nearest the center I got solder bridging 2 of the legs. I thought I got it removed.

Any chance this is the problem? If so, any recommendations on how to fix? Those eprom legs are TINY!!!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use desoldering braid to clean up the EEPROM pins.
sjmaye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: SDA Being Held Low! ...I think I killed it! Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Use desoldering braid to clean up the EEPROM pins.

I used the desoldering braid and cleaned up the eeprom pins. Tried it with new batteries and now I can not even get any sign of life (usually the red led blinks after installing the batteries, now nothing).

I even remove the eeprom completely and cleaned up all the excess solder on the eeprom pads. I reinstalled the batteries and tried it again. Still deader than a doornail.

Any chance I fried something?

I really like the size and weight of the 6012's, but I can not find them anymore. Does someone know where I can get one of these if there is no chance of saving this one?
sjmaye

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the previous help.

I now feel pretty dumb. After messing around I think I may have been blaming this issue on my upgrade work on the 6012b incorrectly.

At the time of this issue I just got a new fully assembled USB cable from DIY_Gadgets. I upgraded the 6012 and got this SDA being held low error.

I assumed it was from my upgrade work. Since then I tried two other remotes, 9910 and an upgraded 6012. I was able to upload and download with no problem.

Then just after a successful download I went to upload the changes I made and I get the error message SDA Being Held Low, again. Now I had not even disconnected the cable from the remote. Nothing had moved or been changed.

I then plugged in to the 9910 and got the same error message. I played around with the cable, opened and closed IR, kept checking the interface and still got the message.

Then, don't know what I did, but it worked.

I have an email in to DIY_Gadgets, but I think I will check the continuity of the leads to the JP-1 connector.

Anyone have any other clues on working with the USB cables?
rickety

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this error also with two remotes (15-1994) with a DIYGadgets cable, and I discovered that for my remotes the connector needs to go onto the JP1 header the opposite way around than shown in their diagram. Obviously, if the error came up after successful upload or download without the cable being removed, it cannot be the same problem that you have experienced. I added the comment here as this is likely to be the thread that people see first when they experience the error.
yyz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickety, I just got the very same error with my 15-1994. You're probably right about switching the cable but to be safe and before I toast anything (I'm new to all this), I've posted a question about this to the DIYGadgets forum. I'm especially concerned after reading about how critical it is to get the JP1 pinout-to-remote pinout interface correct.

Thanks for the help.
IR v. 7.15
KM v. 9.19
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yyz wrote:
I'm especially concerned after reading about how critical it is to get the JP1 pinout-to-remote pinout interface correct.

It's "critical" in that you do need to have the cable the right way around in order for it to work, but if you connect the cable the wrong way around it won't do any harm.
rickety

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case this saves you some time, I did get get confirmation from DIY Gadgets that the remote used in their guide has a connection that is oriented differently from the 1994. Plus if you look at the last message in this thread http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6318 you can see an authoritative statement that connecting the cable "the wrong way around" can't damage anything.
nobbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting the same error when checking interface or trying to download via my USB connector. I tried switching the plug around, but still the same. Any other recommendations?
bone450

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting this same problem when using a USB cable with my RS-2116. I have tried using both a ati xpress200m laptop, and an nforce4 based desktop, with the same results. I have tried with batteries, without batteries, with some batteries in backwards, with old batteries, with freshly charge ni-cd batteries, with the cable connected both ways, connecting the remote before plugging into computer, plugging in remote after plugging into computer, tried reinstalling the USB driver. Only thing I haven't tried was brand new alkaline batteries.

I have been successfully using my parallel interface for over a year, but since my new computers don't have that I want to try the USB cable. Anyone have any advice on what I might have missed?
bone450

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well tried brand new batteries out of the package and still get the "SDA being held low" error.

I did purchase this from DIYgadgets.com. So I would guess the thing is built right.

I must be missing something in the setup. Using IR6.20, RDF's, and the USB driver from the files section. Do the driver check thing and it says it is ok.
EZ Ed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bone450 wrote:
Well tried brand new batteries out of the package and still get the "SDA being held low" error.

I did purchase this from DIYgadgets.com. So I would guess the thing is built right.

I must be missing something in the setup. Using IR6.20, RDF's, and the USB driver from the files section. Do the driver check thing and it says it is ok.

I recently purchased a 6131 and us cable from robman and receive the same error message using ir620 etc. Is there a version of IR that works with this cable?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you already tried all of the battery tests described here...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5849
EZ Ed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Have you already tried all of the battery tests described here...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5849

The remote is new just purchased from you, works fine with the parallel cable. It's the new usb cable that fails, new batteries, old batteries, no batteries. A second remote also 6131 fails the same way. Should I try deleting the usb drivers and reinstalling.

Thanks Ed
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's probably a good idea. Maybe someone who knows more about the USB interface than me can comment further.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: