JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

8910 macro/pause/extender question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkmcgregor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: 8910 macro/pause/extender question Reply with quote

Well, I discovered quickly that I needed a pause function for macros. I finally got the extender loaded; boy was that easy. The instructions seemed more daunting than the process. A big thank you to all who made this great extension.

I'm trying to add a macro to avoid television power-on delays, during which all other input are ignored by the TV. I was wondering if this is simply mapped in the IR.EXE program? I tried making a spcl prot fns to map the Phantom2 key to the 1104 pause paramter type; also used the key move tab and it created the same special function that I manually created. I tried to include a paramter hex value $10, $A0, and $FF embedded between keys with no apparent delay between the send to last key transmission (the ir light flashes) and the switching to the final device state. The macro appears to run to completion and the correct device is selected, but no delay appears to be inserted. Any clues where I am moving in the wrong direction?

Also, is there more documentation than the beginner - first time jp1'er guide describing the IR and RM programs. Things like the meaning of spcl prot fns, which I took to mean Special Protocol Functions, but more importatnly why the tabs are there and some examples of use. Searching by keyword brings back a lot of entries, and they don't seem to talk about the tool, but rather specific questions about remotes, codes, and usually raw device and protocol hew information, which is a littl foreign to me; for now. I would also like to read more concise documents about the device and protocol numbers and their implication in the scheme of the remote operation. If any are available.

Thanks in advance for any info!
Thanks for a great site with a wealth of useful information and tools!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not clear to me exactly what you are doing, but you need to FIRST create a Keymove to simply be a Pause. The simplest way to do this is using KM or RM and creating an upgrade using the Pause protocol, and assigning one or two (with different durations) pauses as Keymoves to any key you want (I usually hide them on a shifted-phantomX or shift-Pause keys).

After adding the protocol and device upgrades and "Pause" keymoves to IR, you simply insert the desired "pause" button (shift-phantomX, in my example) into your macro where you want the delay.

If that's still unclear, or not working, then upload your IR file (please post a link) and someone will have a look.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
mkmcgregor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Looks like I'm back on track! Reply with quote

Thanks for reply and info Capn!

I was try to use the 8910 Extender's built in delay protocol (Misc:1104 - pause). I may have to venture into playing with protocols, but I have a work around for now (nested macros with many delay keys).

Apparently, all was working with the extender protocol, although not as expected. I played with an idea, and it appeared to prove a theory. I've read quite a few posts about delay protocols. They always seemed to talk about seconds of delay; $A0 would be about 10 seconds. What I'm experiencing with the extender delay (pause 1104) protocol is significantly smaller when the largest $FF value is used (more like a 1/2 of a second, at best). I also remember reading an article describing the extender increasing macro transmission rate (I guess delay around and between transmissions), requiring longer or additional delay between keys to make older macros work correctly. I'm seeing that if I add multiple phantom keys, mapped to the pause protocol with the max delay value (FF), I notice a "viewable" delay in the progression of the macro transmission; based on flashing red light and final device display on LCD. A single one was basically sub-second and was almost unnoticeable. It appears that I must create a nested macro, possibly multiple levels of nested macros (due to the 15 key macro limit), to achieve the large power on delay that I need. Good thing the extender adds a lot more macro space! Smile

Again thanks for the reply. I'm back on track and programming, although being able to get rid of all the extra inserted delay keys tieing up macro space would be nice! I'm sure I'll run out of space some day soon! Smile
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Pause Protocol that comes packaged with the extender, my experience has been that those Pause Protocols provide very short pauses indeed, while the one you get using RM or KM are significantly longer and noticeable. I would (after saving your current "best" IR image) give a try to replacing the "extender" Pause protocol and device with the one generated from KM or RM and see if that gives you a more "noticeable" Pause.

Although packing a macro with very short pauses, and other keys that do nothing but introduce infinitesimal delays is certainly a valid workaround, you may someday really want those precious bytes of memory that each one of those buttons in a macro consumes.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
mkmcgregor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

Agreed. Every byte is precious! I will try adding the other protocol. I haven't done that by hand yet, so it will be a good experience.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much delay do you think you need? If you just need a couple of seconds delay and you can't quite get the pause protocols to work right, you could always try the "Zenith Pause Trick" instead.

Here's the step by step...

1) Temporarily, program VCR/0039 to the VCR button.
2) Press and hold SETUP, 2 flashes
3) Type 994, 2 flashes
4) Press: VCR, RECORD, TV, RECORD, 2 flashes
5) Re-program the VCR button with the code you were using before.

Now, adding the RECORD button (from TV mode) will introduce a couple of seconds worth of delay in your macros.

For example...

macro = TV, POWER, RECORD, other steps...
mkmcgregor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: A lot of time Reply with quote

My goal was to wait for my DLP TV to finish its warmup cycle on first power up. This takes about 10 seconds from the power on key for the light to come up to power and brightness, possibly a bulb life lengthening trick or an internal linux boot the runs the TV, not sure. During this cycle, the TV will not accept any IR commands. So, I was trying to insert a pause that would take all my gear from power on to correct mode; i.e. switching inputs on the TV to the correct value. I'm contemplating on making a separate key for power up and leaving all the other macros as high-speed device switching buttons. That makes more sense from a usability window, but only real use will dictate which I like more.

But, thanks for the input!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really do need to wait 10 seconds between pressing POWER and the TV being ready for new input, I think breaking the POWER button out of the macro is a good idea. After all, are you really going to just stand there holding the remote for 10 seconds while the macro waits?
mkmcgregor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually planning on leaving it on the coffee table pointed at the devices, press the button, and then go get a soda Smile

But the moving power feature is the more practical solution!
greenough1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the pause protocol on my 8811 running ext2. My display is also slow to power up and I have to wait for it be in a state to accept commands. This is only an issue when you power it up the first time.

I have found more than ample delay by a single invocation of the pause. If you look here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2372
you'll see my IR file. I forget the details, but I have 3 delays setup for device AUX (this device has the pause protocol) as phantom 1, 2, 3, I think. Phantom 2 gave me several seconds of delay. Phantom 3 was way too long.

Hope this might help.
jeff
mkmcgregor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback! I'll have a look.
bizwiz41

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: The Zenith Pause Trick works! Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
How much delay do you think you need? If you just need a couple of seconds delay and you can't quite get the pause protocols to work right, you could always try the "Zenith Pause Trick" instead.

Here's the step by step...

1) Temporarily, program VCR/0039 to the VCR button.
2) Press and hold SETUP, 2 flashes
3) Type 994, 2 flashes
4) Press: VCR, RECORD, TV, RECORD, 2 flashes
5) Re-program the VCR button with the code you were using before.

Now, adding the RECORD button (from TV mode) will introduce a couple of seconds worth of delay in your macros.

For example...

macro = TV, POWER, RECORD, other steps...

I know this is an old post, but this "trick" works!

I'm reconfiguring my set up, due to a new HD DVD player. I had macros set up for the family to go from TV to watching a DVD. Everything was programmed, including opening the tray for the DVD.

However, the new Sony took too long "loading", and I could not get the macros to open the tray. I tried the "Zenith Pause Trick", and it worked perfectly!

It may be an oldie, but it is still a goodie!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: