JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Interface Check Failure, help needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ultimateag

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Interface Check Failure, help needed Reply with quote

First off I'm a noob to the jp1 world. I've read all the jp1 for beginners info and I've searched these and the forums on yahoo for a solution with no success.

I'm attempting to run the check interface test in version ir321b. I started with a simple interface cable bought from bluedo. And I'm using 2 different computers to try the software and hardware, 1 is a laptop running winxp, the other is a desktop with win2000. Both computers gave the same result, when the proper port is selected (I believe) it gives the "Always reading "0" from inverted input "S7", even when, etc." when I try the other ports it gives the always reading "1" error message. So at first I thought it was the simple interface cable, since 2 different computers gave the same result. So I bought an ultra interface cable from filebug. I'm still getting the exact same error messages. From this point, logic led me to believe that in an amazing coincidence both parallel ports on 2 different computers might have something wrong with them, because I've never actually used them, I've always used the usb ports for printing. So I plug in an old printer to the parallel port on the laptop to make sure nothing is wrong with the port and it worked fine. I also tried downloading my remote regardless just to make sure and of course it didn't work.

So this is where I am: I've tried 2 computers, 2 cables, and 2 versions of IR (321 & 321b) with the same result. Which leads me to believe either the user (ME) is doing something wrong or once again in a very improbable coincidence the 2 cables I bought are both faulty. Sorry to make this so long, just trying to answer as many applicable questions as possible. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and thanks for reading.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tyler, the guy who invented these interfaces, wrote up a detailed Troubleshooting section in his original design documents, if you haven't read this already, take a look, it might contain the answer to your problems:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/0.%20Simple%20Interface/SimpleRev5.doc
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/0.%20Simple%20Interface/SimpleRev5.pdf
Ultimateag

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was using the simple interface cable, I went through much (not all) of this troubleshooting guide. But I went to the ultra cable assuming that would alleviate many of the cable issues. I take your point however, and will exhaust all options in the guide first.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order for one of the hardware experts to really be able to help you from afar, they would need to know if you tried the suggestions in the Troubleshooting guide and what results you found.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried running IR with the JP1 cable attached to the parallel port but without the remote being attached on the other end of the JP1 cable and I got the same error. Then I plugged in the remote to the JP1 cable, but upside down (pin 1 where pin 6 goes) and got this same error. Then I attached it correctly and all is well again.

Did you do your test of the interface with the remote attached or not attached? If the remote is not attached the test apparently will fail.

Have you tried connecting the JP1 plug to the remote the opposite way? Maybe you have it attached upside down.

Good Luck!
JP1Files
sfhub

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two common mistakes I encountered with friends first using the cable
were plugging in the cable 180 degrees reversed and missing one row of
pins, so only 3 pins are connected and 3 are not, but since the cable
covers the opening, you don't notice it right away.
Ultimateag

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your suggestions. I apparently gave up on the simple interface cable too quickly. The interface and the cable appear to be working sporadically now with the simple interface cable but not the ultra. I say sporadic, because I'm now in the process of going through every possible battery permutation (old, new, leaving 2 in, etc.). I was failing the interface check (and still am) depending on the batteries. The interface check may work for awhile with no batteries in the remote, and then I'll start getting the always reading error. I'll then add 2 batteries (sometimes 3, sometimes only 1) and it will start working again, etc. The 1 case where the interface check has never worked is with all the batteries in.

Once I got the interface working, I was able to download, but I have yet to perform a successful upload. Every attempted upload results in a "data read differs from data written" error message. I'll then put the batteries all back in, the remote says "MEM FAULT" and I have to do a MFG RESET to be able to download to IR again. Each time I did in fact confirm that the remote did not receive the transfer. If I try to download immediately following the upload, I get checksum errors. I'm gonna go through all the battery possibilities I can, but if the batteries don't resolve my upload problem then I'm not sure if it's the remote or just a marginal laptop parallel port interface (with voltage problems) or what.

edit: added voltage to problems at end of post
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What diode is in the cables you bought from BlueDo? If you are now using your laptop, maybe check the cables to make sure that the diode is a 1N5818 and that the resistors are 1k. As this diode is 12 cents more expensive, perhaps the vendor is using the 1N4148 one and saving 12 cents per unit Smile
JP1Files
mikilloran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also new to all this and very happy to see such an active group.

I built a simple cable but had no luck getting it going; it failed the 'check interface' test. Removing the simple cable and using just a wire in place of the diode as a troubleshooting step did get the check to 'pass'. However, replacing the wire with a brand new 1N4148 diode caused the check to fail again. I even tried the diode backwards! Crying or Very sad I figured since I couldn't get that working something was fairly hopeless.

I built my cable from the description at www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/simple/index.shtml, but reading other posters comments I changed the 10k resistors to 1k. Still no luck. Now I see an idea about using a different diode and I've also found rev 5 of the design which uses the 1k resistors. Can we get the link I used updated to point to the newer design? Where's the info regarding the two types of diodes? It would be great to have this all together.

Sorry if this sounds critical, I'm just hoping to help other newcomers as a friend also built his own cable and I had him check my remote. It worked for him, so I tried to use his cable... guess what? Failed! So I disabled the check and have been able to download and upload using his cable (disabling the check with my cable didn't help). It's odd as we're both using IBM Thinkpad A31 laptops. I'm not sure if the mode of the parallel port could be an issue (normal, bi-directional, EPP, etc).

I've also ordered a cable from BlueDo as the 'quality' of my construction made me think it might not last as long as I'd like it to. I'll let you know the luck I have with this one!

Thanks for all the ideas!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: