JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Noob prob with a macro
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjmaye

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
What size eeprom do you have?

I know this is dumb, but I can not remember. It has been some time since the upgrade. Is there anyway in IR to find out?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjmaye wrote:
I know this is dumb, but I can not remember. It has been some time since the upgrade. Is there anyway in IR to find out?

Yes, go to the Raw Data panel, scroll to the bottom, and tell us what the last hex address is (eg, 03F0, 07F0, etc).

Last edited by The Robman on Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
sjmaye

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Yes, go to the Raw Data panel, scroll to the bottom, and tell us what the last hex address is (eg, 03F0, 07F0, etc).

The last row shows 07F0. What size does that say the eeprom is?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjmaye

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
What size eeprom do you have?
If it is 2K, there is no good reason not to use the extender. Take complete control over the HT behavior rather than learn to understand and live with the strange way it works by default.

Thanks Rob!

It is 2k. According to IR I show very little memory left due to upgrades and keymoves etc. Will this still work?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjmaye wrote:
It is 2k. According to IR I show very little memory left due to upgrades and keymoves etc. Will this still work?
Maybe. How much memory have you remaining? One of the primary purposes of an extender is to convert learning memory into KeyMove/Macro memory.

But your remote is not a learner. It's hard to imagine how you have used up all 2k of memory already. You will need SOME memory for the extender itself, but perhaps you can transfer some of your upgrades into using built-in codes supplemented by KeyMoves.

Post your IR and include a link to it in this thread, and perhaps someone can recommend a few ways to recover some memory if it's really that low.

EDIT: I just looked at the 6012 in IR and although you have no learning, you have 1021 bytes allocated as learning memory, with 762 bytes for upgrades and 219 for KeyMoves/Macros. Extenders 2 and 3 both apply to the 2K EEPROM version, and ex2 ups your KeyMove memory to 903 bytes, whilst Ex3 gets you 915 bytes for KeyMoves, so you should ABSOLUTELY use the extender, and recover all of that extra memory.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
sjmaye

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure I have several device upgrades from prior setups are are not needed. I could uninstall these. Let me have a look and get back to you guys.

Thanks for the help.

PS- I quickly (very) read about the extenders. Just how tough are they to understand, apply, and use?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjmaye wrote:
I am sure I have several device upgrades from prior setups are are not needed. I could uninstall these.

It's generally a good idea to remove upgrades you're not using. But that probably isn't required for the extender.

The extender does not make a big change in the amount of upgrade memory available. As mentioned above, it greatly increases the amount of KeyMove memory available.

Until you use an extender, half of your 2K is dedicated to storing learned signals, but your remote can't learn and you have no other practical way to get learned signals into it. So half of your 2k is wasted. That is the reason the extender can take space for itself but still leave you with more than you had without it.

The extender takes all of the original KeyMove memory for itself, then makes most of the original Learned Signals memory into a new (much larger) area for Keymoves. It takes a few small chunks beyond this. But this is its main impact on memory.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing about extenders is that in the un-extended mode you might try to avoid too many KeyMoves as they take up valuable space that you might wish to use for macros. With the extender, however, you can use KeyMoves more or less till your heart's content with the bonus that although KeyMoves take up a few bytes each they also allow you a bit more memory on the Upgrade side. It's a balance but the extender gives you the flexibility and - as johnsfine states - your learning memory is effectively going to waste at present.

Using an extender - provided that you carefully read the documentation that comes with it - isn't much more difficult than adding an ordinary device upgrade and protocol upgrade. And you can always unload it if you don't like it.
sjmaye

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK So I read thru the README.TXT supplied with the extender files. Now that is different!

I have a bunch of question marks, but I guess I will have to try it to further cement how it works in my mind.

In checking memory I show 28 bytes free for move/macro, 429 free for upgrades, and 1021 free for learned signals.

So sar, I am able to do everything I want without the extender, but I like the feature of fast macros. I would like to speed up the macro for TIVO quick skip. It is a sequence of about 9 keypunches. I think it can be sped up and the TIVO will still recognize it.
greenough1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macro speed is an advantage of extenders. When we say they are fast, we mean they are FAST compared to non-extended remotes.

Another advantage is that you can put a macro on any key you like. device keys are not sacred. Remember there's really no problem trying it. download and save your current setup, create an extended image and upload and activate. if you don't like it you can always go back to your save image.

Best,
jeff
sjmaye

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you put it that way because it really appears a bit scary in the text.

I will give it a try this weekend.

Thks.
sjmaye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never say too late...

I finally tried the extender. I love it. The macro speed is outstanding. The main reason I did it in the first place.

Question- I have macros set for starting and stopping device set on the move, pip, swap, sleep keys.

They work fine... all the time. These same keys are defined as TV video functions to change color, contrast etc when in TV mode. No matter what mode I am in the macros are performed.

I tried to write a keymove to override the macro, but it did not work.

Any ideas how to do this?

Also- Strangely enough, when in the TV mode and press TV/VID when it should change inputs I am getting the video functions mentioned above.
I don't think it was doing this before. Any ideas on this one??

Thanks for the help. Even if I don't get these little items worked out I am keeping the extender!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All anybody could say would be wild speculation. Post your IR file and describe the intended actions and symptoms in the notes section.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
sjmaye

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
All anybody could say would be wild speculation. Post your IR file and describe the intended actions and symptoms in the notes section.

I will work with a bit more to isolate just what it is not doing correctly. Then I will post the file. I have not done this before. Just where I do I post the file??

Also, I noticed some entries in the IR file I did not remember doing. I know using the extender put macros in for each of the device keys. These are in the keymove section. They seem strange. For instance, it has a keymove entry now to have TV PLAY perform TV INPUT1. When I try TV PLAY the remote performs like I had I programmed, to work my DirecTV DVR.

I thought since I was running the extender I could remove a bunch of the keymoves, but was concerned I would delete something needed, so I just left them. With the exception of the TV functions I am trying to isolate the remote is running great. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: