JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NEED A IR KEYBOARD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PGBELL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: NEED A IR KEYBOARD Reply with quote

Hi
I have a mythtv pvr that runs Linux. I would like to know what ir keyboard you guys would recommend I buy? I want to load the keyboard to my 8810 remote. In reading some of the other posts, it seems that some ir keyboards are tricky to learn to JP1. I would like the easiest one for this app. any input would be helpful.
thanks ......pg
xaust

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay tuned for the next few days. Rob is debugging a problem that I am having with my Solidtek ACK-571 IR keyboard. I am confident that he will get to the bottom of it.

I use this keyboard and the JP1 enabled URC-6131 remote with my MythTV frontend. My frontend is an Xbox that is running Fedora Core 4. This is a sweet setup (damaged Xbox, only cost me $30). As you know the best part of using the IR keyboard with the remote is that you don't have to monkey around with lirc which seems to be universally aggravating for just about everyone.

I am committed to working the kinks out of the remote and will keep you posted.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, the keyboard arrived yesterday and I hope to play with it over the weekend.
bwade_913

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: NEED A IR KEYBOARD Reply with quote

PGBELL wrote:
Hi
I have a mythtv pvr that runs Linux. I would like to know what ir keyboard you guys would recommend I buy? I want to load the keyboard to my 8810 remote. In reading some of the other posts, it seems that some ir keyboards are tricky to learn to JP1. I would like the easiest one for this app. any input would be helpful.
thanks ......pg

I'm also a mythtv user and have experience with three of the keyboards supported by JP1. I use an RS 15-2117 and rely on its RF relay to control both the mythtv box and a tivo box from remote rooms. All of the keyboard upgrades work as expected in the same room as the mythtv box, but two of them have issue with the RF relay:

Airboard - Nice keyboard and works fine with the JP1 upgrade. The problem is that it picks up random characters from the RS RF relay. It's a known problem that the relay spews RF noise and this keyboard is very susceptible. The most common symptom was that the mythtv box audio would get muted randomly. Very annoying.

Acer - Cheezy keyboard. Some of the keys are failing after just a few months. Not susceptible to RF noise like the Airboard, but for some reason, the RF relay doesn't work for this keyboard. The 15-2117 works fine in the same room, but not across the RF relay.

Solidtek - I'm just getting started with this keyboard but so far I like it. This one solves my problems with the RF relay. It's not susceptible to RF noise like the Airboard but it does work across the relay. I'm using the Nov 8 upgrade and it's working fine for me. The keyboard layout is a bit odd. Some commonly used keys are undersize (tab, cntl, alt, del, etc) but I did manage to type this.

Regarding the question of which is easiest to configure in your remote for mythtv, that's a tie. Thay all have upgrade files available. You just need to edit them in KM so that the keys map appropriately for the mythtv functions.

Good luck with your choice.

Bret
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Keyboards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: