JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

X10 - RF protocol for Powermid or RF remotes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hummbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: X10 - RF protocol for Powermid or RF remotes Reply with quote

I've managed to create an upgrade file to control X10 devices with a normal RF remote. It also works with the Powermid. The file could be downloaded here.

The only drawback is that you can control only 8 devices simultaneously. However by using custom NEC protocol (such as $11a or $141) with two devices the upgrade can be extended to control all devices.

It should be possible to create a protocol/extender to control all house/unit combinations or even work as a normal X10 remote (select unit first and than send command for the last selected unit). Anybody interested?

Enjoy Very Happy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious as to what constitutes a "normal RF remote"? If you mean a normal JP1 RF remote, such as the 15-2117, URC-9910 and HTPro, then I think the fact that they all use a different RF frequency to that used by X10 would present a problem.

In your file description you state that the Powermid is cheaper than the IR543, but here in the States, people can get the IR543 for under $20 from homeautomationnet.com, so the price comparison probably isn't valid.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade here, as it's great when people start to think outside of the box, I'm just pointing some of the short comings before X10 users get too excited, as it's a very common misconception that you can use RF remotes like the URC-9910 to control RF X10 transceivers.
GLT

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is interesting, and I await the answers to Rob's questions.

It appears that maybe I could get rid of the IR543's in some cases because I often have them side by side with a powermid.

Does this work w/ US powermids/remotes?

I have a 15-2117 that I use primarily w/ powermids cause the antenna broke off of it's little box and range never seemed all that good anyway.

GLT
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Powermids do indeed use the same freq as X10, sending the correct NEC signal to them could well be quite an ingenious way to control X10.
GLT

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a QUICK search shows X-10 @310 MHZ and Powermids @418/433MHZ, so I don't see how this could work.

Hummbie, can you elaborate?

GLT

Edit: EUROPEAN X-10 is at 433 MHZ it appears. So could work for Europe. For us poor US people, maybe something with the european version of WGL designs W80032 maybe, but that is getting pretty cost prohibitive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: