JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What did I do wrong? (HTPro RF puck to 8910 board)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: What did I do wrong? (HTPro RF puck to 8910 board) Reply with quote

Thanks to the kindness of the Masked Man, I now have an 8910 board to replace the burned out one on my HTPro. I swapped them out today and IR functions work perfectly. So then I attempted to swap the RF puck by doing the following...

1. Melted the glue on the 8910 modem coil (lots of glue was covering the 4 insertion points for the RF puck) and desoldered those two tiny wires connecting the coil to the board.
2. Did same on coil on the HTPro and also desoldered the four posts on the flip side of the board and removed entire coil/puck assembly.
3. Reversed the process to put the RF puck and coil on the 8910 board.

After reassembling the remote, I had no RF. Now, my soldering skills are totally at a newb level and I'm somewhat sloppy. I also have zero engineering sense, so I don't know whether those two tiny wires have a positive and negative designation, or the solder points on the flip side of the board have to be wholly distinct (no overlap) or whether it matters that that the rubber "casings" on the 4 posts melted a bit, etc., etc.

Just hoping someone can hazard a guess as to what might have gone wrong? Or maybe the RF puck got fried with the rest of the old board?
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the tiny copper wires covered in an insulating film or laquer, in which case they often solder better if scraped with fine sandpaper before soldering?
johnnya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

underquark wrote:
Are the tiny copper wires covered in an insulating film or laquer, in which case they often solder better if scraped with fine sandpaper before soldering?

I don't think so, but I'll take another look. Thanks for the heads up... Any other ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: