JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[mini Howto] Using your PDA to find codes and protocols

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Belial

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: [mini Howto] Using your PDA to find codes and protocols Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

This is my first post here, i hope that i didn't missed a similar post.

The problem :
I found this site some days ago, so i started to look at my old Topline 8 in, a brand new way. I hoped to find every code possible for my stuff. But i ran into some problems when it came to my LDP player (Pionner LDP1950) and my small TV (brandt)

So what could i do without a learning remote !! I was quite sure that it was possible to use my PALM (Tungsten T) to find those codes, and then just upload them to my JP1 remote.

The Palm solution :
Basically, you need (Palm):
  • A Palm powered PDA with Omniremote
  • IRTool.
  • Palm desktop installed (or at least a way to synchronise the notes)
  • A way to upload the new codes (i use RemoteMaster to create new devices and IR to upload them whith a self-made cable)

1. Use omniremote to capture the IR codes. You can train all the needed buttons
2. Use the advance, database menu and select export.
3. Omniremote will create a note, containing some codes (usually consisting of groups of 4 hexadecimal digits)
4. Synchronize with palm desktop
5. Get the note on your computer (using PalmDesktop).
6. Copy/paste Omniremote codes to IRTOOL
7. Click 'DecodeHex'
8. You should now have the protocol, device code and OBC codes compatible with RemoteMaster.
9. Refer to RemoteMaster and IR to transfert your codes to your non-learning remote
10. Be happy !

If you have problem finding IRTOOL or if IRTOOL doesn't recognise your protocol, you can try the alternate way :
You will need

• Pronto Edit V4 (i used an old one, it may work whith newer software)
  • DecodeCCF.

6a. Launch ProntoEdit, and create a device with a panel.
6b. Inside the panel, right click and add buttons.
6c. Edit the buttons, choose IR-code, and display the code.
6d. Save your CCF from pronto edit
6e. use decodeCCF to have a JP1 compatible txt file
6f. Use probability to get rid of useless codes generated during the capture.

The Pocket PC solution :
You will need :

1. Use the remote software to capture the IR codes. You can train all the needed buttons
2. Use the export menu to create a CCF file
4. Use ActiveSync to get the CCF file on your computer
5. use decodeCCF to have a JP1 compatible txt file
6. Use probability to get rid of useless codes generated during the capture.
7. You should now have the protocol, device code and OBC codes compatible with RemoteMaster.
8. Refer to RemoteMaster and IR to transfert your codes to your non-learning remote
9. Be happy faster than Palm users !

Edit 1 : Add use of IRTOOL.
Edit 2 : Add Pocket PC procedure, include links inside the text, changed title.
Edit 3 : Add links to PDA software

Well, i hope this will help non-learning remote owners.
Thanks for your work ! You've done a great job. I think i will post some questions after i have completed my upgrades.

Feel free to send comments, so that this mini-howto can be improved.

Last edited by Belial on Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:00 am; edited 10 times in total
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: [mini Howto] Using omniremote (PALM) to find codes Reply with quote

Belial wrote:

5. Get the note on your computer (using PalmDesktop).
6. Launch ProntoEdit, and create a device with a panel.
7. Inside the panel, right click and add buttons.
8. Edit the buttons, choose IR-code, and display the code.
9. Copy/paste Omniremote codes to ProntoEdit
10. Save your CCF from pronto edit
11. use decodeCCF to have a JP1 compatible txt file

Skip ProntoEdit for that job. It's a big download and several extra steps.

IIUC, you have strings of Pronto Hex (a string made up of a bunch of 4 digit hex numbers) and you want them decoded.

Get the JP1 group's version of IrTool (It is in the old Yahoo group and also someone at RemoteCentral has put up another copy and posted the URL in several threads, but I forget where). Anyway DON'T get the old IrTool.exe from the main folder of IR programs at RC.

You can paste Pronto Hex strings into IrTool and press decode and get the JP1 compatible info.

DecodeCCF is better than IrTool if you already have a CCF file. But IrTool is easier if you're starting from Pronto Hex. Both use DecodeIr.dll to do most of the decoding.
Belial

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some question about IRTool. I've downloaded IRTool V1.2 to test, but the protocol is not recongnised. So i only have raw data.

One other drawback of IRTool is that you can only decode one code at a time. Having the list of codes may be more convenient.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never noticed IRTOOL had a version number.

The version of IrTool I suggested passes everything to DecodeIr, so "protocol is not recognised" wouldn't be an IrTool issue. I assume you didn't get that version.

One code at a time: Did I misunderstand your first post? Weren't you doing copy/paste one code at a time into ProntoEdit? My point with IrTool was that if you have to work one code at a time anyway, you might as well get the answer right there rather than copy one code at a time and still need two more steps to get to the answer.
Belial

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
I never noticed IRTOOL had a version number.

You can right-click in the title bar, about IRTool..., and you can have the version.
johnsfine wrote:

The version of IrTool I suggested passes everything to DecodeIr, so "protocol is not recognised" wouldn't be an IrTool issue. I assume you didn't get that version.

I will try to find the correct version this evening (in europe !)
johnsfine wrote:

One code at a time: Did I misunderstand your first post? Weren't you doing copy/paste one code at a time into ProntoEdit? My point with IrTool was that if you have to work one code at a time anyway, you might as well get the answer right there rather than copy one code at a time and still need two more steps to get to the answer.

In fact, i use all this stuff to create devices using RemoteMaster. I try to have all possible codes, so that i can dispatch them as i want.

I will correct my initial post to include IrTool.
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have successfully used both NetRemote (Promixis) and Total Remote (Griffin) to learn remote codes on a Windows Mobile 2003 SE PDA (Axim X50v).

Both remote software are able to save the learned commands as .ccf files. When transfered to a PC, these .ccf files can be analyzed by DecodeCCF, that will reveal the codes needeed to create an upgrade.

Last edited by aberguerand on Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Belial

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aberguerand wrote:
I have successfully used both NetRemote (Promixis) and Total Remote (Griffin) to learn remote codes on a Windows Mobile 2003 SE PDA (Axim X50v).

Both remote software are able to save the learned commands as .ccf files. When transfered to a PC, these .ccf files can be analyzed by DecodeCCF, that will reveal the codes needing to create an upgrade.

Can you be more specific about the way to transfer data from your PDA to the computer ?

I don't know how data are transferred with pocket PCs.
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belial wrote:
Can you be more specific about the way to transfer data from your PDA to the computer ?

All PocketPCs can connect to a Windows PC via the ActiveSync program. When connected, the contents of the PocketPC's file system can be browsed via the normal Windows explorer, under the "Mobile Device" icon. It is then just a matter of drag'n'dropping the .ccf file from the PocketPC to the PC.
Belial

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aberguerand wrote:

All PocketPCs can connect to a Windows PC via the ActiveSync program. When connected, the contents of the PocketPC's file system can be browsed via the normal Windows explorer, under the "Mobile Device" icon. It is then just a matter of drag'n'dropping the .ccf file from the PocketPC to the PC.

Update is done. Thanks.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting PocketPC ir analysis program is "Pocket Oscilloscope"

http://www.vitotechnology.com/en/products/oscilloscope.html

I have used this on a couple of PocketPC's including the Axim X5, but discovered a couple of weeks ago that it does not work on my IMate... Vito has a "compatability list" on their site.

Related question... is there a similar option for the PC using iir media dongles?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: