JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Visual References (first draft)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bevhoward

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Visual References (first draft) Reply with quote

As a practicing dislexik, some things are harder for me than others, and this experience has pointed out that I really never knew the potential of universal remotes because of my inability to remember programmed keys.

While the keymap printouts in KM helped, they really didn't work for me, so, I put together an html page that did and posting it here in case if may help other participants here.

http://bevhoward.com/stuff/Cinema6.html

Please don't link to this yet as it is "first draft" plus the location will change if I make it public.

Feedback appreciated.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Visual References (first draft) Reply with quote

bevhoward wrote:
Feedback appreciated.

Well, I think it's a shame that you've had this posted for a month and no-one has fed back yet. Lots of effort and end result looks worthwhile. Once I've got my system fully sorted (although I suspect that anyone coming to the JP1 forum never truly finishes tinkering with their systems) I might try printing them out this way.

I am trying a cruder version of this when learning remotes as follows:

1]Gather together a whole bunch of remotes (wait until spouse/partner and any kids are out of house to avoid complaints). Scan in batches on a flatbed scanner at about 150dpi - colour is best. Use you favourite graphics program (even Windows Paint will do) to crop the picture into separate images and store them somewhere sensible (like C:/....JP1/Remote Images)

2]Import the images into a spreadsheet and resize them to about 3 columns wide. Prepare a schematic of the button layout and group together important buttons, colour in any that take your fancy etc. Then draw up a list of the buttons that you want to learn.

3]Once learned and decoded, use Your Remote template to assign to buttons and then print out into fancy booklet like you suggest.

Advantages are that you don't need to do all the learning at one sitting, you can add in other target remotes later and it acts as a handy library of what you have previously done.

Now I know that I should post a link here but I am sitting at work at a networked machine that doesn't have Excel or even Notepad and that has the USB ports inactivated so I can't plug in my memory stick. I will post a copy of my spreadsheet (very crude and suggestions for improvement welcome) later and call it something original like "Remotes and mappings".
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, regarding the feedback thing, most of the experts use what little time they have for remote stuff to either try and help people get started or to tackle some of the more advanced needs of the group. It's unlikely that the experts are going to have much inclination to review a beginners doc, even though it's much appreciated that you took the time to write it.

The people that should be giving you feedback are the beginners themselves, but experience indicates that most beginners just want to program their remote and split, so it's not likely that too many of them are going to post feedback, even if they used the doc.

So, bottom line, don't be discouraged if you don't get the instant feedback that you're looking for, that doesn't tend to be how things work around here.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underquark

If it helps you any with the images there is a full set of them in the tools file section in a file called "Maps and Images required for RM - Version 1.24". If you have not tried RemoteMaster yet that is what they are used for.

You can also find a full set on them on my web page below and get a full size version and a thumbnail size.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils_Ekberg wrote:
Underquark

If it helps you any with the images there is a full set of them in the tools file section in a file called "Maps and Images required for RM - Version 1.24". If you have not tried RemoteMaster yet that is what they are used for.

You can also find a full set on them on my web page below and get a full size version and a thumbnail size.

Thanks - I've upload the file (Warning to those on slow connections - 0.5Megabyte) which is just an example of one way to keep a sort of personal scrapbook of remotes so that notes can be taken, codes filled in at leisure and reference made once I lose track of what I've been doing. I find it useful as I don't often get a lot of time free of adequate duration to see a whole project through in one go. User replaces my scrappy images with their good-quality ones or from your files and then does their own schematic/template to suit. Note that Excel file size with full-quality images will be large so only suited for home use not distribution.

RM is frappucino, BTW.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

underquark wrote:
RM is frappucino, BTW.

Not a bad idea to inventory remotes and this seems like a good approach. If I built that spreadsheet I would have to get another hard drive Laughing Rob would have to go for a mainframe. Laughing

I know what frappucino is but don't care for it myself so I am not sure if you are saying RM is good or bad. Just like frappucino it is a matter of personal taste.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... great responses.

Some feedback based on whats driving my approach.

The templates posted are not used as part of the button "learning" process used to create updates.

However, I have found that when I create each one after each device button is programmed, it greatly influences how I structure and revise each button layout by forcing me to face the usability issues. In addition, the act of editing them is a rememberance exercise in itself.

The reason that I am using html tables rather than excel spreadsheets is that html is accessable using any browser on the network... in my case, a wifi pocketpc as well as the "media computer..." a 10 year old laptop connected to the network as well as the amp.

In addition, the html tables focus only on the label text's relative position on the pad... since they are all the same, the color associates the controled device and a single glance normally answers the button location question.

Quote:
"Maps and Images required for RM - Version 1.24"

I found those the day I downloaded and tested RM and they blew me away... great implimentation of client side maps... even took some time to look at the source. Impressive.

KM did take my attention for building updates, but I have use RM a number of times, both for loading a couple of RDF's as well as continuing to learn the process.

Quote:
"The File"

Your spreadsheet appears to be very close to my approach... the size in excel is an issue for the pocketpc as well, plus the images don't transfer to the pocketpc when excel files are copied over.

Back to the images of the OEM remotes, I've generated them, but they tend to be pretty irrelevant to me since I normally get at least part of their functionality into a programmable remote immediately, so, where I don't have to look at the programmable buttons to control the devices, when I pick up the OEM remote, it's time for reading glasses and some light to read by.

Quote:
feedback

Understand, especially since I see the volume of your (the expert's) posts.

However, my second request for "feedback" http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4910 was a project taken on in large part because of a request of yours, so I hope you have a moment to comment.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback. fwiw, these templates, both on the network, in the pocketpc and printed into a small spiral notebook the size of the cinema6, have proven to be a major part of the success of this project... at least locally.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"The File"

Although I am not an "Excel Person" I took a moment to learn how to export the table columns to an html file, tweaked it a bit and posted it at http://bevhoward.com/stuff/TheFile.htm

One big advantage is the 62k size.

Office html exports contain a huge amount of unnecessary code, even frames if you export a complex sheet, but the basics are there to create simple html layout templates.
Wesley Hester

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: How I keep up with what button does what. Reply with quote

I try programming the same keys in the same places for similar devices.

I also 'map' everything out using Microsoft Word and print onto 11" x 17" paper. It's good to have a handy reference from time to time for buttons I don't use that often.

I feel some people can pick up on using a JP1'ed remote faster than others and I'm one of them. As of right now, I use my URC-9910 and 8810 exclusively. With every new component I buy that has a remote, the first thing I do after getting it home and unpacked is to JP1 the remote and store the original my 'remote box' under a bed. It's nothing to me to use the URC remotes with my main home theater setup, my second room's setup and the various components around the house.

PDF Version of a Word Document of an Earlier URC-9910 Setup

I keep a folded 11" x 17" printed version near my component rack for quick reference only with buttons I rarely use.

P.S. my current configurations only have 11 devices on my 9910 and 7 on my 8810.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils_Ekberg wrote:
I would have to get another hard drive. Rob would have to go for a mainframe.
It could easily be done in Access or Java etc. with links to images but Excel is just so convenient for cutting and pasting and generally foolin' around.
and... wrote:
I know what frappucino is but don't care for it myself so I am not sure if you are saying RM is good or bad. Just like frappucino it is a matter of personal taste.
It's just like everyday Java only much, much cooler. Rolling Eyes Mr. Green
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I have gotten to the point that all my remotes are programmed basically the same so I am real comfortable with the usage of each. I can go from room to room and pick up a different remote for different devices and they will pretty much do the same thing. DVD to watch a DVD, CBL to watch CBL etc.

So I guess what I am saying is that I really don't have a need to set up anything to help jog my memory. I do however believe it is a good idea if you have very diverse setups. When I first got into jp1 I did print out cheat sheets but don't anymore.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So I guess what I am saying is that I really don't have a need to set up anything to help jog my memory.

Under this roof, the need for a memory jog was for both me and Rebecca.

The template project was actually begun more for her than me, but in retrospect, think I have benefited just as much.

She has really begun using the remote... especially the X10 as that finally makes sense for her now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: