JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony cmt-cpx1 (compact audio)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this will help any.

I find that RM is significantly easier to use when it comes to combo protocols.
This is where RM shines. Of course, I am biased.

In KM, the byte2 field can be used for many different things, and sometimes must have 2 values. The syntax can be confusing. Sometimes it takes an actual value, sometimes it takes an index (which itself is sometimes 0-based and sometimes 1-based).
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
bevhoward

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> resentment <<

sorry if it came across that way. I've tried to make it clear that your (everyone's) help has been invaluable and that I had done the prerequisite reading even if I failed to comprehend it and it appeared otherwise.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bevhoward wrote:
>> resentment <<

sorry if it came across that way.
I didn't take it as resentment, but rather frustration. We've all (well, except for Rob and John Surprised ) been there at some point in our JP1 careers! Wink

Hang in there... it'll be worth it in the end.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Success... finally Reply with quote

Thanks to all who helped, esp Robman's detail post as on the fifth or so reading of this clarification of the sony20 protocol the proper entries were achieved.

Final update file has been uploaded to the audio devices updates as

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1940
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Bev. By the way, I moved the file to the "HT Systems" folder as that's where we keep the upgrades for mini-systems.

I took a peek at the user manual and it appears that there are three buttons missing from your upgrade. Did you capture these buttons and if so, do you know what the codes are:

CLOCK/TIMER SELECT
CLOCK/TIMER SET
ENTER

Also, now that you've got a working upgrade, are you ready to do some experimenting? For starters, I'd like to know if this device supports the MUTE function (even though there isn't a MUTE button on the original remote). To test that, try using the RCVR/0158 setup code and try the MUTE button. I'd like to know if the CD player responds to the regular CD controls. To test that, try using the CD/0000 setup code. You could also try the TAPE/0170 (aka VCR/0170) setup code (which is only present on your URC-6800) to see if it does anything extra for your tape player. You could also test the DVD/0533 setup code to see what extra functions are there.

Here's a quick cross reference of setup codes to device codes:

CD/0000 = 17 and 12
TAPE/0170 = 14 (URC-6800)
RCVR/0158 = 16 and 13
DVD/0533 = Sony20 26.73

If you find that your device does indeed support some extra functions, I'll help you set up some special upgrades that we can use for some more extensive tests.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

prot      obc  dev  sub
CLOCK/TIMER SELECT  Sony12  98   16
CLOCK/TIMER SE         Sony12  101  16
ENTER                        Sony20  124  26   57

...ok, next question... how to post in fixed font?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bevhowardok wrote:
ok, next question... how to post in fixed font?

Like this...

Code:
Function            prot    obc dev  sub
CLOCK/TIMER SELECT  Sony12   98  16
CLOCK/TIMER SET     Sony12  101  16
ENTER               Sony20  124  26   57

bevhoward

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will attack the experiments tomorrow... rebecca's birthday today and I have already been too focused here ;-)

I did run the 0158 codes and got no response from this unit on any buttons. but will follow your posted steps and try again.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bevhoward wrote:
I did run the 0158 codes and got no response from this unit on any buttons. but will follow your posted steps and try again.

Use the URC-6800 for the 0158 test (and make sure that you don't have VPT set to another device). Your upgrade file shows that the volume buttons use OBCs 18 and 19 from device code 16, which is an exact match to the volume buttons in RCVR/0158. This makes me wonder whether the MUTE button, which is OBC 20 from device code 16, will also work.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bev,
I have created a version of your upgrade designed for your URC-8910, let me know what you think of the button layout...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1941
bevhoward

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> VPT set <<

VPT?

>> Mute on the HCD-CPX1<<

Unfortunately (mute is needed) didn't work, tried both the 0158 on the 6800 and your update on the 8910... the other controls such as vol work on both, but not mute.

>> key layout <<

for the most part, your 8910 works fine with two exceptions which I discovered from testing and using the remote.

1 - The device select buttons (tuneband/cd/tape) and the "function" button need to be grouped together... on the 8910, would probably opt for 3,6,9,tv/vid. ("function" is the only way to select "AUX")

pip,move,swap,tv/vid might make more sense and would be the way if the numberpad were needed.

2 - Transports... would keep them the same as was on the 7800/6800 ...reason, since the transport controls don't get shared by the devices, it's beneficial to keep them separated.

When I tried them grouped, it got confusing... i.e. thinking <stop> would stop the CD.

Would also keep the fwd/tapestop/rev on the left/sel/right arrows as the layout is close to rew/stop/fwd on the bottom pad.

Equalizer is (at least in my case) not going to be a regular need via the remote, so it's the orphan that takes what's left.

>> Protocol Continued <<

I have some additional protocol questions related to a different device, so, since this thread has been beat to death, will start a new one in "general"

Thanks,
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be helpful if you used the Notes column, or chose more specific function names, to show which virtual device each function applies to.

Some functions are named specifically (eg, "CD Stop") but when I assumed that the generic functions (eg, rewind and fast forward) applied to all modes.

bevhoward wrote:
Equalizer is (at least in my case) not going to be a regular need via the remote, so it's the orphan that takes what's left.

Here's another way to look at that. If you program a seldom used function to a totally non-obvious button, there's no way that you're going to remember which button you used when you do eventually want to use it. With frequently used buttons, on the other hand, you can be more imaginative because you're unlikely to forget where a button is programmed if you use it everyday.

VPT = "Volume Punch Through"

If you had the VPT set to the TV (for example), testing the volume buttons in RCVR mode would be pointless.

Did you try the numeric buttons with either the DVD/0522 or CD/0000 setup codes?
bevhoward

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It would be helpful if you used the Notes column, or chose more specific function names, to show which virtual device each function applies to.

Had planned to go back and update this... remember from the beginner perspective, you are scrambling to simply relate buttons to codes in both directions.

Quote:
Some functions are named specifically (eg, "CD Stop") but when I assumed that the generic functions (eg, rewind and fast forward) applied to all modes.

A note on how I began was I noted that even though the buttons didn't have numbers on them, each remote I worked with did use a similar "number pad" approach to button layout, so I proceeded to label the text on that "map" approach to store the "learned codes" i.e. "1" on the learning remote matched the "1" location on the other remote even though it had a different label which may help explain how I recognized "CDStop" as opposed to "TapeStop"

The fact that the "functions" disassociated themselves from their assigned buttons was a factor in not renaming them as I moved slowly forward.

Quote:
Transport buttons

I only now understand what you were asking for after completing the 0158 process.

CD/0000 = 17 and 12
Play/Stop/Pause Work

TAPE/0170 = 14 (URC-6800)
Stop Works

RCVR/0158 = 16 and 13
DVD/0533 = Sony20 26.73
no transport controls work

Quote:
Never Remember

That came home when working with pads that had been on the Cinema6 for years... _however_ the "Templates Booklet" (posted elsewhere) that now sits on the coffee table finally addresses that, not only for me, but Rebecca has been using them as well... the fact that she is currently using the remote at a high percentage of it's potential stuns me since, in the past, she has used the Cinema7 only reluctantly since it was purchased the better part of a decade ago.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try the numeric buttons with CD/0000 or DVD/0522?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: