JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Balance DR-4111 DVD Recorder
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that you haven't read the jp1 help doc yet, the directions on how to create an upgrade from scratch are covered in section 6

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/#6

You also asked about the shift key, that's covered in 1.16 here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/faq.shtml
DizzyDays

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

I'm guessing that you haven't read the jp1 help doc yet, the directions on how to create an upgrade from scratch are covered in section 6

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/#6

No... I've been reading and reading. Please don't think there was any laziness going on here. In fact, I built up my own JP-1 cable. But I think that was something I read earlier on and forgot about it. This stuff is kind of over-whelming! I was thinking I would not be the first person that wanted a Balance DR-4111 configuration file. I was thinking at worst case I would be warming over an existing definition file.

Thanks for all the help!!!
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No... I've been reading and reading. Please don't think there was any laziness going on here. In fact, I built up my own JP-1 cable. But I think that was something I read earlier on and forgot about it. This stuff is kind of over-whelming!

I second that!

The information is there/here (somewhere) and often doesn't make much sense until one has gone through the process with partial information making many mistakes .

This is how many people learn to fly... with an instructor in the other seat who's primary job is to keep you from killing yourself while you teach yourself to fly <grin> <--<that's a grin!>

I now have a bookmark pulldown that now has 16 reference links and I have read all of them at least once and several at least five times each, but I still feel as if I am both stuppid and imposing as I crawl toward progress.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To reenforce my feelings;

This forum, the "how to's" the huge number of files are unbelievably great!

Would be nowhere with the loss of any one of these resources, so the operational word is THANKS!

I do feel that I am getting feedback that I am not making progress fast enough along with the confirmed feeling that I am not taking the steps in the correct order... I know, but I can't pass something that generates a question without persuing the answer, even if it is impossibly over my head.

I'm excited about this project... the first time I have put this much energy into anything for over a year.

Thanks,
DizzyDays

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bevhoward wrote:
To reenforce my feelings;

This forum, the "how to's" the huge number of files are unbelievably great!

Would be nowhere with the loss of any one of these resources, so the operational word is THANKS!

I do feel that I am getting feedback that I am not making progress fast enough along with the confirmed feeling that I am not taking the steps in the correct order... I know, but I can't pass something that generates a question without persuing the answer, even if it is impossibly over my head.

I'm excited about this project... the first time I have put this much energy into anything for over a year.

Thanks,

Well, I bet the group of people here would make a great field study for some psychology graduate student. I don't think of myself as a control freak or an obsessive compulsive type. But damn it, I want my remote controls to behave exactly how I define they should act and am willing to invest way more time than it would ever take to pick up the original remotes and press a few buttons. Probably most people here are in a similar mind set.

Like I say, it would make a good field study for somebody working on a psychology paper.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DizzyDays wrote:
I was thinking I would not be the first person that wanted a Balance DR-4111 configuration file. I was thinking at worst case I would be warming over an existing definition file.

While that might be true if you had a Toshiba or Sony DVD player, but when you have some obscure model that most of us have never heard of, it's usually going to be up to you to create the first upgrade file.

Good luck.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Like I say, it would make a good field study for somebody working on a psychology paper.

In general, I agree... marginal technology has encompassed every part of our lives like a bad mold growth.

I don't think your feelings are that uncommon even among those who don't have the skills for the subject of this forum, but I think almost everyone feels the same way about out of control remotes.

I posted what I have been learning here on our small computer club's list and everyone wants a demo next meeting (tomorrow)

The driving need behind my own quest was just met tonight as I was finally able to present my wife with a birthday present that allows her to watch movies shown on the DLP projector when I am not at home, something she has not been able to do since we killed our TV five years ago.

In addition to giving her the programmed remote, I generated an 8x10 laminated color image of the remote with large labels pointing to the relevant keys plus step by step instructions for setting up a DVD/VCR session on the flip side in large bold print.

I succeeded in making one Luddite extremely happy today.
DizzyDays

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bevhoward wrote:
The driving need behind my own quest was just met tonight as I was finally able to present my wife with a birthday present that allows her to watch movies shown on the DLP projector when I am not at home, something she has not been able to do since we killed our TV five years ago.

In addition to giving her the programmed remote,

You gave your wife a remote control for a birthday present??? And your still alive to post about it??? This really would be a good set of people to study for some Abnormal Psychology course! Smile
bevhoward

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You gave your wife a remote control for a birthday present???

Didn't even give her the remote, just the programming and a reference card... and... she loved it!

She's been very frustrated since we got the dlp projector at being unable to understand enough to watch dvd's... she's had two video nights without assistance so far.

Now, I _will_ give her something else when the actual day arrives on Monday.... I'm not _that_ clueless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: