JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Shift key on URC8910?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
csete

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Shift key on URC8910? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what the shift key is on the 8910? Is it the "Set" key? If so, is it possible to change the shift key, as the set key is not easily usable on this remote (it is depressed and hard to press intentionally). If an extender is required, what would I gain or lose with the 8910 extender in the library?

Thanks,
Craig
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, shift is Set.
Yes, Set is hard to press.
Yes, you need an extender to change the choice of shift key.

I don't know what sort of answer you expect for "gain or lose".
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you can use a macro to assign a new set key. I use Guide=Set[Setup];Set[Setup] on my 8910 without an extender. I use 2 instances so that it will work with keymoves assigned to numeric keys (otherwise you have to press "Set" twice to activate them). This will work with all the remotes I have tried and since it doesn't mess with the original "Set" key you can still do all the regular things (change setup codes, access menu, send EFC's) that the "Set" key does natively. You just need a key you are willing to give over to the "Set[Setup]" function since the macro overrides all other uses of the button..
csete

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod,

That doesn't seem to work for me. Any hints or is this specific to a certain remote?
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also works on my unextended 8910 where Set function is assigned to the HT button; Zaphod's Guide assignment also works. Perhaps you have a keymove on the guide button someplace and it takes precedence? I'm sure John will correct me if this is a wrong guess Smile

Re "gain or lose" my few cents: in the unextended 8910 macros are annoyingly slow. Extender is almost a must. In addition to gaining speed of macros you'll have flexibility how to set everything up by your definitions of devices, nested macros, long chains of commands in special protocols.

If your devices don't have discrete on/off commands, toad tog protocol under extension helps to handle that, and can be used for control of things other than power (my main use is sound controls). You can program several buttons (com/skip, fav ...) which you can't touch without the extender.

You lose nothing except time to learn and figure it all out.
Loss of learning signals from other remotes is easily overcome by reloading one image or another. Setting up via the LCD menu is no longer needed. A beter design can be had via the extender, a big improvement over the 'as is' remote. Then again there are people who do very fancy things without the extender by clever use of special protocols Smile
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of mine is an 8910 and I used the "Guide" button as my shift key with a macro that assigns "Set[Setup] to it. You still have to use the regular key for setting up the remote (codes, setup menu, etc); you can use the substituted key for "shifted" functions. You cannot use the FAV or the 8 device buttons (unless you use an extender and even then the FAV may be off limits). The L1-L4 or M1-M3 would be available too I think. IR.exe is used to set it up, not RM or KM and you can't assign anything else to the desired button in upgrade devices you load in. Other than that there's no trick that I know of. I use it on my 8910 and several 6131's and a 6011 and an 8810.

Added note: I type too slow (ElizabetD's response) and there is a steep learning curve when you first start using JP1 also.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention in the above blurb about an enormous gain the the keymove/macro space the likes of which you just won't find in the standard remote.

zaphod7501 wrote:
You cannot use the FAV or the 8 device buttons (unless you use an extender and even then the FAV may be off limits). The L1-L4 or M1-M3 would be available too I think.

Steve, in the extended 8910/HTPro Fav is available. I use it to cycle through a bunch of discrete audio inputs the way Tv/Vid works for video inputs. Macro and Learning keys are available extended or unextended as well.

zaphod7501 wrote:
steep learning curve

In addition to learning about the extender, there was a learning curve on the management of upgrades. Whatever I coded in the unextended remote using various combo protocols just didn't fit in the extended 8910 and I had to go through unscrambling several upgrades. Not that it hurt. It was kinda fun Very Happy
csete

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You cannot use the FAV or the 8 device buttons (unless you use an extender and even then the FAV may be off limits). The L1-L4 or M1-M3 would be available too I think.

This was exactly what I tried to do! Oops.

I may still visit the extender, but I want to get something working in the short term and then spend some more time understanding extenders and how they work, etc. I'm so swamped with other things that I really shouldn't be spending time on this anyway.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: