JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ir.exe and Linux/Wine?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davecs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: ir.exe and Linux/Wine? Reply with quote

I run Linux, but I have to keep a Win98SE partition for little things, one of which is ir.exe.

In common with other programs built from Delphi with little addon, ir.exe runs under WINE. The only (and crucial) problem is that it cannot access the Parallel port. Having gone through the source, there are a series of assembler IN and OUT commands which do the transfer. Linux being a secure system blocks them, I suppose.

I do not need the parallel port for anything else, as my printer and scanner are USB. Has anyone managed to solve this problem? If so, what did they do?
classicsat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd write an application to directly read/write the eeprom into a text/hex file that IR.exe reads/writes.
davecs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the whole point, what I am asking is: does anyone know how to bypass the security so that I can do the IN/OUT stuff via my JP1. Otherwise WINE and ir.exe would work OK. I could make a few adjustments to the source and compile it in Lazarus/FPC, but I doubt it would make any difference!
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=19879
classicsat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My whole point is to write, or find, a low level app that can read/write an I2C EEPROM much like the JP1 cable does, and output a file that IR can read/write, so IR doesn't have to.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there is some more Linux appropriate solution using the USB version of the cable.

But if you want the printer port version, writing a seperate app would probably take a Linux Guru and would be much harder than solving the problem in Linux the same way it was solved in Windows.

PC hardware makes it easy for a device driver to kill the protection that stops an application from from direct use of the printer port. It should be a trivial task for a Linux Guru to write something that kills that protection. I'm not sure whether it would be easiest to kill it totally for the printer port, or just for the printer port within Wine, or for a specific application. But I'm confident some form of just killing the protection would be easier than doing it as a seperate app.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtakahar wrote:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=19879

The thread that Hal linked to explains how to run IR.exe under Linux.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. I misunderstood the status (since I'm not trying to use Linux myself). I thought that was just runing the GUI part of IR. Now I understand it handles the remote connection as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: