JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Newbie, how to power everything ON and OFf with one button?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lafrederick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Newbie, how to power everything ON and OFf with one button? Reply with quote

I have a 8910 and would like to have ALL the programed eguipment turn on and off with the remotes main power button. I have figured out have to program everything so far with JP1, works great. BUT I would like a uniiversal ALL On and ALL off. Is that a Toadtog? And what is the easiest way to do that? I have searched for over 30 minutes and have not seen any threads on this specific question. I would guess that many people have taked about it, so I was amazed that it just didn't come up for me to review?

I am sure that this is OLD news for most, but also guessing that many would like a "road map" on how to do this.

Thanks in advance

Larry
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,

Tell us the equipment you are trying to control, Something like SonyTV, Maganvox VCR is OK for right now. Model numbers may be helpful, but not necessary.

IMO, the answer is equipment specific to some degree.
lafrederick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: EQUIPMENT to control Reply with quote

I have the following

1. Toshiba 55 inch rear projector (about 5 years old) works great!!
2. Sony STR935 receiver
3. DishNetwork 322 receiver (but maybe a 522 soon! Smile
4. Phillips Combo VCR/DVD player
5. KLH cheapo DVD player
6. Sony 300 CD changer

Hope that helps.
greenough1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be interested in the responses on this one. I've noticed some experts have a "master on" that turns everything on and a master off that turns everything off.

I don't have those, as I may just want to watch tv and don't need dvd player, cd player and receiver all on in addition to the tv.

What I do is have seperate on macros that turn on the display and whatever else I need to watch it. e.g. my CBL master on does this: turn on tv, turn on receiver and select CBL digital input, switch tv to CBL input.
DVD master on is the same with DBL replaced by DVD.

The "master on" is an issue wiht the family. I've made it consistent across all my devices, but they're looking for a one button solution. I could do that , but then I'd have gear on that's not being used.

Best,
jeff
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie, how to power everything ON and OFf with one butt Reply with quote

lafrederick wrote:
I would like a universal ALL On and ALL off. Is that a Toadtog? And what is the easiest way to do that?

(1) It sounds like all you need is a macro containing all of the "power" commands for all of your equipment.
(2) No it is NOT ToadTog, unless you have only DISCRETE ON and OFF for any of your gear, in which case you may need ToadTog to create an "artificial" power toggle command for one or more units.
(3) "Easiest" is a very personal call, (Personally, I use discretes and tailored macros on the device keys for "ON" and POWER as an "ALL OFF" macro), BUT - A relatively straightforward way is:

Assumptions:
(a) you are NOT using the extender,
(b) all of your equipment has a power toggle command mapped to the "POWER" button for its respective device mode;
(c) you have no commands assigned to the "SHIFT-POWER" functions for any device.

Create a macro on the Power button consisting of a sequence something like this (delete the two-step sequences that do not pertain):
(1) RCVR/AMP
(2) SHIFT-POWER
(3) TV
(4) SHIFT-POWER
(5) VCR
(6) SHIFT-POWER
(7) DVD
(8 ) SHIFT-POWER
(9) CD
(10) SHIFT-POWER
(11) SAT
(12) SHIFT-POWER

The reason for using "SHIFT-POWER" for each command rather than "POWER" is that assigning "POWER" internally to a "POWER" macro would end up in an endless do-loop and your remote would lock up - probably until either the batteries are removed or drained. "SHIFT-POWER" causes the remote to search within that device mode for a command on the "SHIFT-POWER" key, and not finding one, it will default to the assigned command on the POWER key. (Search the docs for "shift-cloaking")

If you are using the extender, then you replace the device keys (odd-numbered steps in the above macro) with the DEV_XXX key that pertains.

This will send a power signal to each of your pieces of equipment in turn when you push "POWER". Master ON and OFF on the same button (but you run the risk of your equipment getting out of synch).
lafrederick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: How do I create the Macro? Reply with quote

I haven't programmed my 8910 in about a year, so I am a little forgetful Sad I thought I used to use IR.exe and KM? But now where on the files part of this forum - do those those programs exist? Only RM 1.20. And I cannot for the life of me get it to install, open, work...nadda zippo ..bummer. I downloaded java 1.42, did it all Got the RDF files. The whole deal (images, etc) etc. But she no workee. I must be REALLY slow . But it seemed much easier before (must be getting old?)
When I unzip Rm, there is NO setup file (like you see with 99.9% of the software/sharewware/freeware out there)./ No little computer icon, nothing. I click on the setup.bat file, but it takes me to a program that I cannot "ADD" anything to? And it has a little "Java" logo on the top left. If I click on one of the RDF files it asks what program do you want to use to open. Which I directed it to the rm master .bat file.

Still no cigar. What the? How do I program the macros? with what program (IR.exe, which seems to be NO WHERE as I searched in JP1 and in Google for 45 minutes, RM Master? Or KM which also seems to be not found) Or? No program??

I am a little confused (or a lot)

Larry
lafrederick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: oh yeah.... Reply with quote

I forgot to answer your question on EXTENDERS.....Got No fancy extenders, nothing . Just a fully programed 8910
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I create the Macro? Reply with quote

lafrederick wrote:
I used to use IR.exe and KM? But now where on the files part of this forum - do those those programs exist?

IR.exe and KM are still the standard tools.

We've been going very slowly at the task of moving everything over from the old file archive to the new file archive. Those seem not to have moved yet.

You need to be a member of the old Yahoo forum to get files from the old archive. IR and KM are at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/2.%20Tools/
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: