JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

urc-6131 modified for replay and tivo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jon2121

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: urc-6131 modified for replay and tivo Reply with quote

I have my replays on the pvr device key. I put my hughes directivos on the cable/sat key.

My problem is that the tivo unit codes don't work. Is this because the unit codes are programmed to work on the pvr device setting only? What can I do to get the tivo unit codes working?
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by unit codes?

The setup codes for TiVo are PVR/0618 and SAT/1142.

If you are trying to use setup code 0618 with the SAT buttons, you must first change the device type of the SAT button to PVR. You are better off using SAT/1142 (since it is the correct device type)
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
jon2121

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unit codes are the remote codes. Rob calls them unit codes on his layout. My setup is:

Rtv5xxx, rtv55xx and rtv4xxx on the pvr device key. I use remote code 1 for the 5k series and toggle them on and off. I use remote code 2 for the 4k.
One dvr40 and two hughes hdvr2 directivos. They use device code 1142. I have three remotes with codes 2,3 and 4 controlling the machines.

Rob programmed the modified urc-6131 with the ability to change remote codes of a pvr. The pip button for the replay and the swap and move buttons for the tivo. Since my replays are on the pvr key, I had to put my tivos on another key. The remote code programming does not work for the tivos on another key. It is set on code 0 which controls all the machines.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH. You'll have to wait for Rob on that. I don't know how he's got you setup.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have the load I've used for the remotes that I've sold on ebay. I designed this load so that you can control all of your PVRs from the PVR button. You press PIP followed by a number to select the correct Replay and you press SWAP followed by a number to select the correct Tivo. So, why do you want to use the SAT button at all?

Do you have a JP1 cable?

If so, to switch Tivo to the SAT button, all you would need to do is re-assign the keymove that's on the PVR/SWAP button to SAT/SWAP. You can put it on a different button if you prefer, just as long as it's in SAT mode.

If you don't have a JP1 cable, the process is a little bit more complicated:

1) Change the SAT button into a PVR button like this...

a) press and hold SET, 2 flashes
b) type 992, 2 flashes
c) press PVR then SAT, 2 flashes

2) Now program VCR/1998 to the SAT button

3) Now keymove the POWER button to SWAP (or the button of your choice) like this...

a) press and hold SET, 2 flashes
b) type 994, 2 flashes
c) press POWER then SWAP, 2 flashes

4) Now simply press the number corresponding to the Tivo unit code that you wish to use and the SAT button will work your Tivo, then use the SWAP button to change to a different unit code.
jon2121

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two of the ebay remotes that work as you say. I just received two remotes ordered from this forum that I thought would be the same. The tivo programming with the swap button does not work on these new ones.

How do I program them to work like the ebay ones?

I have another question since I am already here. I have a sony tv with two rf inputs. The tv/vid button switches inputs including the currently active rf input. I could not find a button to switch between the main and aux rf inputs. How can I progam this in?
drb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have another question since I am already here. I have a sony tv with two rf inputs. The tv/vid button switches inputs including the currently active rf input. I could not find a button to switch between the main and aux rf inputs. How can I progam this in?

If this is sony tv code 0000, the EFC is 112. You can use that if a keymove. Also you could learn that signal. The button to switch it on the remote is ANT/AUX. Here is a link to the advance codes of TV 0000. http://www.hifi-remote.com/cgi-bin2/ueic.cgi?TV_0000

DRB
jon2121

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks drb. I programmed the alt/ant code into the subtitle key in tv mode using the non-lcd instructions on this site.

After doing this I realized that Rob's instructions above for switching the tivo codes to the sat button will work for my original ebay remotes. They won't work for the new ones since the tivo unit codes don't seem to be pre-programmed into the swap key.

So I guess I still need to know how to program the tivo unit codes into any button on the new remotes.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a JP1 cable? You'll need one in order to get the swap function working.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,
The remotes that I have sold on ebay have some very special, quite complicated, programming preloaded into them. The idea is that I'm selling this remotes to non-JP1 users. The remotes that I sell via the link in my sig here in the forum just have some very basic programming added, this is because I am selling them to JP1 users, who will want to load up their own upgrades. When I have, by mistake, given a JP1 user a remote with an ebay load in it, they immediately come here complaining that the upgrade memory is full.

If you want the non-ebay remotes to work like the ebay ones, you'll need to use a JP1 cable to copy the contents from one of the ebay remotes to the non-ebay remote.
jon2121

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of your remotes were available on ebay when I ordered these. I actually followed the links from the replaytv forum to this site. I just assumed that your replay modified 6131 was the same as the one on ebay. I had no idea you programmed different versions.

It is time for me to break down a get a jp1 cable anyway. When I get it, I will copy the contents like you said.

Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On occassion people buying the 6131 from me directly ask me to load the ebay programming, which I'm always happy to do.
jon2121

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Jon,
The remotes that I sell via the link in my sig here in the forum just have some very basic programming added, this is because I am selling them to JP1 users, who will want to load up their own upgrades.
I have to disagree with you on the above statement.

Your link is one of the main ones referenced in both the replay and tivo forums. I could see a where a number of non-jp1 interested people might end up here.

I imagine many have been turned away by your 'different way to buy a remote'. As I feel sure it was intended to do. It weeds out the numbers since it is too much trouble to figure out for most people. I suspect the number of people coming here looking for a remote far exceeds the number actually sold.

Of course, all of this is moot now since you are getting out of the retail remote business.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon2121 wrote:
I imagine many have been turned away by your 'different way to buy a remote'. As I feel sure it was intended to do. It weeds out the numbers since it is too much trouble to figure out for most people. I suspect the number of people coming here looking for a remote far exceeds the number actually sold.

You're gonna have to explain yourself on this one. What is my 'different way to buy a remote' that you speak of? Tell me why a non-JP1 user would want to pay extra for a URC-6131 that has been modified to work with JP1? Why wouldn't they just go to Best Buy and buy the cheaper non-JP1 version?

Just for the record, I have put ALOT of effort into getting the right remote into the right people's hands. If someone writes to me saying that they need a remote to do XYZ and I know how to program one to do just that, I offer to do it for them, usually for no extra cost. If someone writes that they need a remote to work several different Tivos or Replays in the same location, I offer to load my special programming into a 6131 for them. Is this the 'different way to buy a remote' that you are referring to? If so, please explain why me offering a level of customer service that WAY exceeds anything you will find anywhere else would turn people away?
jon2121

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comments have nothing to do with your dedication and desire to help the customer.

You are really talking about two different issues. How easy is it to shop and how sophisticated is the customer.

EASE OF SHOPPING:
I didn't mean anything bad about a 'different way....', but come on!

Your site is in a forum message.
When you click on an item you get a picture, but no checkout link.
To pay with anything but paypal, customers need to email you.
Even the paypal link is only for transfer. Customers have to write out what they want.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. It is just not the way most people are used to shopping on the web. With few exceptions, shopping sites on the web are pretty much standard retail sites with similar charactaristics. You click on an item, it goes to some kind of checkout screen and you pay. All very simple and easy. If people have to figure too much out, they tend to shy away in favor of someplace simpler. I even balked the first time I saw this site and went looking elsewhere. That is when I found the remotes on Ebay (click and checkout). This time, when I found none of your remotes on ebay, I came back here.

LEVEL OF SOPHISTICATION
There is nothing right or wrong about any of this. It is simply about knowing who your customer is and making it as easy as possible for that customer to get what they want. Only you know what your target market is. The "I want to program with jp1" customer is different than the rest. Most people do not want to. I wanted the remote because of button layout and your additional programming, not the jp1 modification itself. That to me is just a necessary evil in a non-learning remote. If people can pay a little more and get something that is already done, they will do so most enthusiastically. The easier you make that happen for the customer, the more likely they will buy. You know, the KISS principal.

If you feel you are taking care of your target market, then enough said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: