JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

?'s on 8800 pro8 extender v2a

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: ?'s on 8800 pro8 extender v2a Reply with quote

It's probably been a few years since I've installed an extender and I have a few ?'s.

First off, Has the method of installing extenders changed in the last 2-3 years? When I first installed extenders I remember doing things with a DOS Prompt CMD and John Fine's SC8ASM program, is this a thing of the past?
It seems in the instruction for the 8800 extv2a that now all you do is add new devices and protocols.

Also, this quote from the read me, "The menu system (definitely gone, not to return)", means that I never will be able to get the menu system back. I will not ever be able to return to an older config and have the remote back like new? Meaning it would be pretty much useless without JP1 programing?

And my last ? on this extender, Will this extender increase the free space available for Key moves and Macros? It seems to me the read-me file suggests that this ext. will allow you to use keymoves and macros on the learning keys, however if the free space doesn't increase it would help a lot with only 194 bytes available.

Any help/answers will be appreciated and might keep me from doing something that I will regret.

Thanks
DRB
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: ?'s on 8800 pro8 extender v2a Reply with quote

drb wrote:
Has the method of installing extenders changed in the last 2-3 years? When I first installed extenders I remember doing things with a DOS Prompt CMD and John Fine's SC8ASM program, is this a thing of the past?
It seems in the instruction for the 8800 extv2a that now all you do is add new devices and protocols.

It's because 8800 is based on a different processor (Mitsubishi 740) and very different implementations.

Quote:
Also, this quote from the read me, "The menu system (definitely gone, not to return)", means that I never will be able to get the menu system back. I will not ever be able to return to an older config and have the remote back like new?

It just means the menu system can't co-exist with the extender. You can always go back to the default image by either reloading an non-extender image with JP1 or doing MFR reset.

Quote:
Meaning it would be pretty much useless without JP1 programing?

I think so.

Quote:
Will this extender increase the free space available for Key moves and Macros?

Not really. IIRC, this extender gives you some flexibility on the buttons you can program, nested macros and a few other things, but the increased key move area is not one of them.

You could adjust the boundaries between the macro/key move area and the upgrade areas with or without the extender by tweaking the addresses in the eeprom, but I forgot the details and it's kinda complicated. You can search in the Yahoo! group if you really want to.

Hal

Last edited by mtakahar on Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
drb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It just means the menu system can't co-exist with the extender. You can always go back to the default image by either reloading an non-extender image with JP1 or doing MFR reset.

As long I can go back I have no problem going ahead and give the ext. a shot. I was afraid the meneu system got overwritten and there would be know way to re-write the correct instructions to the memory.

One quick ? on the instruction for the 1-6L keys. The readme file states to use another learning remote and learn the keys in order. Does it matter where these keys are learned from? What I mean is: Can I use a RS 15-1994 and use the 4 learning keys and two other keys? Or do I need the same remote [8800] using only the 1-6L keys because the signature of the remote and key map are required in order for this to work?

Thanks
DRB
drb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You could adjust the boundaries between the macro/key move area and the upgrade areas with or without the extender by tweaking the addresses in the eeprom, but I forgot the details and it's kinda complicated. You can search in the Yahoo! group if you really want to. "

I tried to search unsucessusful so far. Can you sugguest some keywords to use in the search.

However While searching for info I ran across this quote:

Just FYI, it's a scaled down version of the URC-8800 Producer 8
remote, which uses the old Mitsubishi 740 MCU. The 8780 has four
learning buttons, but the learning memory is stored on a seperate
EEPROM chip which is only accessible with a hardware mod.

Rob"

Is this still true? The info in the readme file for the extender seems to sugguest I can acess the learning keys and map keymoves without a hardware mod.

DRB
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drb wrote:
Can I use a RS 15-1994 and use the 4 learning keys and two other keys? Or do I need the same remote [8800] using only the 1-6L keys because the signature of the remote and key map are required in order for this to work?

You can program your 8800 based on the information (protocol type, device codes, OBCs) you gathered with a 1994.

drb wrote:
I tried to search unsucessusful so far. Can you sugguest some keywords to use in the search.

Ok, I got this with the key words "740 keymove area" (then patiently keep clicking on the "Next" link on and on and on...):
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/message/21594

I used to own 8080B02 that I gave to Jason who wrote the extender you are trying to use.

drb wrote:
However While searching for info I ran across this quote:

Just FYI, it's a scaled down version of the URC-8800 Producer 8
remote, which uses the old Mitsubishi 740 MCU. The 8780 has four
learning buttons, but the learning memory is stored on a seperate
EEPROM chip which is only accessible with a hardware mod.

Rob"

Is this still true? The info in the readme file for the extender seems to sugguest I can acess the learning keys and map keymoves without a hardware mod.

I *think* this only applies to the memory that holds learned signals and NOT key moves. The mod would help you to collect and decode learned signals, which you don't need from your 8800 because you have a 1994.

Hal
drb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok, I got this with the key words "740 keymove area" (then patiently keep clicking on the "Next" link on and on and on...):
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/message/21594

Thanks, that appears to be the link that gives me the required info I need. When I get some time I will play with this a little bit. It may be beyound me but I'll give it a try. BTW, that link ends with sammee002 saying he would get back to you letting you know if it work, did you ever here if he was sucsuful?

Thank again.
DRB
drb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more quick ? [surly not the last] The following is from the readme dealing with the1-6L keys of the extender.
Quote:
URC-8780/8800/9800
Upgrade code 0 = DF D2 (Misc Audio/2002)
FC 00 21 66 06
End

15-1995
Upgrade code 0 = EF D2 (Misc Audio/2002)
FC 00 21 66 06
End

8080/8090 B00/01/02
Upgrade code 0 = CF D2 (Misc Audio/2002)
FC 00 21 66 06
End

I am using a 15-1994. What would the Upgrade code be? My guess would be :

Upgrade code 0 = ?F D2 (Misc Audio/2002)
FC 00 21 66 06
End.

What letter would replace the ? mark?
Thanks
DRB
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I wasn't quite sure what exactly you were talking about, but now I got a little more ideas after reading Jason's readme.

You can use KM spreadsheet to generate the device upgrade for 1994. The setup code doesn't have to be Misc audio/2002 but can be anything you are not using in your 1994.

Based on what I can guess from the examples,

On the [Setup] tab,

Remote: 15-1994 (which you have)
Device Type: (whatever)
Setup Code: (whatever)
Button Codes: EFC

Protocol Name: Manual Settings

Copy the "Upgrade" protocol for s3c8 remotes from the readme and paste it into the "Notes / 3rd party protocol code" section.

Go to the [Fucntion] tab, then assign the EFC's to these buttons.

channel up: 001
channel down: 002

Go back to the [Setup] tab and copy & paste the device & protocol upgrade to IR.exe.

There are two buttons defined in this device upgrade. I am not sure why the "Step2" in the instructions says "Assign a keymove to call the device."

You may need some more diggings in the Yahoo! group unless anyone actually used this come rescue you...

Hal
drb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are two buttons defined in this device upgrade. I am not sure why the "Step2" in the instructions says "Assign a keymove to call the device."

My understanding of the readme is:
load the device upgrade and protocol upgrade to the learning remote [15-1994 in my case]

assign a key to activate the upgrade [any key whatsoever]

learn the activation code on the 1L tru 6L on a reset 8800 in order.

Hopefuly the two buttons in the device upgrade have some other purpose.

Should know my tonight or tomorrow if I am correct.

DRB
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: