JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-8810 (Walmart) won't learn!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wbrells

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: URC-8810 (Walmart) won't learn! Reply with quote

Folks,

I have a URC-8810 that I purchased from Walmart about 9 months ago. It works fine with my JP1 (parallel) cable, but now I need to "learn" some commands from my original remote (for a Panasonic HT810 "Home Theater" system). UNFORTUNATELY, I can't get my remote to "learn" anything, and I'm wondering if:

1) Am I doing something wrong when trying to "learn"? I've followed the directions that came with the URC remote and get to the point where the LED flashes rapidly for several seconds. I then put the two remotes head-to-head (2" apart) and press the button on the original remote that I wish to "learn". However, no matter what button I push, I never see any confirming 'blinks' on the URC unit. I've tried a couple of different original remotes, but nothing works... IS THERE SOME 'SECRET' TO TEACHING THIS URC REMOTE, OR IS IT PERHAPS BROKEN IN SOME WAY (SEE NEXT PARAGRAPH)?

2) When I first got this unit - and before "discovering" the JP1 interface - I sent it back to EUI for updating to support the Panasonic "Home Theater" system mentioned above. This "upgrade" seemed pretty useless, but I wonder if it could have destroyed the "learning" ability of my remote? Is there any way to tell if my remote SHOULD be able to "learn"?

Many thanks,

Wayne
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Place the remotes head to head BEFORE invoking the 975 command. You need to press the OEM button WHILE the LED is rapidly blinking on the 8810 and hold it until the LED stops. Then when you're done learning, you need to press and hold the SET button until the LED blinks twice to save the learned signals.
wbrells

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Many thanks - leaning works perfectly now! The problem was with the following "screwed up" instructions that came with my URC-8810:

4. Press an open learning key once (e.g. L1) to store a feature to be learned. The LED will blink rapidly for 4 seconds.

5. Place your original remote control head-to-head (about 2" apart) from the One For All 8L Home Theater Upgradeable Univeral Remote Control with Learning.

6. On your original remote control, press and hold the key to be learned until the LED on the One for All 8L Universal Remote Control blinks twice.

8. To lock in new feature(s) on the One For All 8L Universal Remote Control, press and hold SET until the LED blinks twice, then release SET.

BTW, I recall reading that other (non-L) keys can be programmed in the same way as the L keys. Is that really the case?

Again, many thanks!

Wayne
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wbrells wrote:

4. Press an open learning key once (e.g. L1) to store a feature to be learned. The LED will blink rapidly for 4 seconds.

What they say there is correct. But it sure does give you the wrong idea about what you're supposed to do.

wbrells wrote:

8. To lock in new feature(s) on the One For All 8L Universal Remote Control, press and hold SET until the LED blinks twice, then release SET.

I've never done that step. I'm pretty sure you don't need to. I assume it just cuts short the usual timeout before the remote automatically reverts to normal mode. That timeout is so short anyway that there is no need. This step does not "lock in" the new learned signals. That happens as soon as you get the double blink from each learn.

wbrells wrote:

BTW, I recall reading that other (non-L) keys can be programmed in the same way as the L keys. Is that really the case?

Correct. Almost all keys can be programmed via learning (the device buttons and a few other special keys can't). But the total capacity for learned signals is very limited. With just L1 through L4 in 8 different device modes most users would exceed the total learning capacity. By learning many keys in one device mode you could fill the learning memory and have none available for other modes.

I expect OFA intentionally misleads you about which keys can be used for learning so you won't try to support an entire device via learning. Learning is intended to handle a few missing functions when you have a built-in or upgrade setup code to handle most of a device. If they didn't mislead people about the remote's abilities they'd get far more users confused and/or complaining about the limit on total learning memory.

Of course with JP1, it makes sense to temporarily fill learning memory from one original remote with a whole batch of functions learned to logical positions (rather than L1 to L4). Then decode them, change them to keymoves or upgrades and clear them out of learning memory. So with JP1, limiting your learning keys to L1 through L4 is silly.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wbrells wrote:
Many thanks - leaning works perfectly now! The problem was with the following "screwed up" instructions that came with my URC-8810:

We all agree that the instructions are screwed up, which is why we created this thread:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3943

johnsfine wrote:
wbrells wrote:

I've never done that step. I'm pretty sure you don't need to. I assume it just cuts short the usual timeout before the remote automatically reverts to normal mode.

That is indeed what it does. On occassion I have forgotten to "lock" the signals in and have gone on to press a button expecting it to send a signal and instead I get the rapid blinks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: