JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCU810 or URC 9910?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you prefer?
RCA RCU810
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OFA URC-9910
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 4

Scoob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: RCU810 or URC 9910? Reply with quote

Hey all,
I'm new to this little world of control, but I do love my A/V equipment and have lots around to try to reel in. Espoecially important is easy control of the two HT systems in the house - esp for the wife.

Decided on buying the 9910 and just ordered a JP1 cable. I'm also considering buying a RCU810 for comparison and wanted to see who thinks what about each. I've read some posts about advantages of both, but I can't find anything about advantages of one over the other (except the built-in RF on the 9910) - or disadvantages that might turn me off (other than the lack of a plug on the 810 which is a minor point). I could buy either another 9910 or an 810 for the second system.

Any and all responses are welcome. Thanks.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the RCU 810 has larger buttons than the URC-9910.

The URC-9910 has more buttons than the RC-810:
Track-rewind, track-advance, L4, Comm-skip, Home Theater.

They both have an LCD and backlight.

For me, the extra buttons would win.

If you like the URC-9910, consider the HTPro, which is functionally identical to the URC_9910, it just has a nicer finish. They're going fast and cheap. Do a seach for HTPro and you'll see some threads about it.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without JP1 the RCU810 is more limited than the 9910, but you're obviously a JP1 user, so that levels the field a bit.

Pros for the RCU810:
I think it has a more solid feeling construction than the 9910 and it gives you the ability to program functions to the device buttons as part of an upgrade. It also has an EL backlight, similar to the 15-1994 and other remotes of yesteryear, whereas the 9910 used LEDs which make for an inferior backlight, plus you can only get he 9910 with a red backlight now, which is not as popular as the green backlight used for the early 8811s.

Pros for the URC-9910 or HT-Pro
You can program macros to the device buttons, even without using an extender. It has more buttons than the RCU810, and I don't think the buttons are quite as jumbled as they are on the RCU810. Plus, of course, it comes with an RF extender and if you get the HT Pro version, it has a rubberised feel to the lower half of the casing, kinda like the feel of the 15-1994. If you decide on the 9910, I also recommend that you get the HT Pro version, here's a link to X10.COM where you can get it for $7.99 (with free shipping if you spend $50).
Scoob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the 9811 HTPro is actually a clone of the 9910? That pic is quite different - but I think i like the layout better. It seems to be made for easy right-handed operation - instead of the symmetric way most are laid out now. So which do I get if I order it? Question

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. It helps a lot - and it looks like the RCA is moving down the list.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be misled by some of the pictures that you'll see on sites like the X10 site for the HT Pro because they are using the wrong picture.

Here is a valid picture of the HT Pro next to a URC-9910:

Scoob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are the best, Rob.

How the heck can they sell it at such a low price?! $14 delivered from x10.com is crazy considering the deal I thought I was getting from eBay...

Looks like I'll get two of those and be done with it.

Thanks again, Scott
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because the current wholesale price is just $7, which is obviously less than it costs to make the remote, so it sounds like the distributor is clearing out their stock. If you buy 7 remotes, your total would be $55.93 which would qualify you for free shipping. Maybe you could give the spares to people as Xmas presents or something.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered 7 earlier today (can't resist a bargain). I probably won't ever use one, but I think they'll make good gifts.

I'm going to make another try at teaching my mother to use a universal remote and this seems like a good candidate. She has a Comcast Cable box (that came with a non-JP1 AT&T universal remote), a JVC TV, a Sony VCR and an Emerson VCR/DVD combo. I managed to program the AT&T universal for minimal support of the JVC and Sony, but didn't have time to do a tedious search to maybe get partial support of the Emerson. So she uses the AT&T remote for a lot, but needs the Emerson remote for that device and sometimes needs the JVC and Sony remotes for functions missing from the AT&T.

I tried long ago to get her to understand a urc-6800, which is a great remote and could easily handles all functions of all these devices. She just couldn't grasp the modal nature of the remote. The AT&T lights up one of four device buttons (as some old European OFA models do) each time a signal is sent, which helps those who don't get the modal concept get it. I hate the LCD myself, but maybe it will help bridge the gap for my mother now that she's half way to understanding it from using that AT&T remote.

I've set up remotes (7800's, 8810w's, or 15-2104's) on occasion for other relatives and coworkers, so this seems like a less expensive and possibly more beginner friendly alternative.
Scoob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea. I'll also set one up for my neighbors since they're good folks. Universal remotes for everyone!
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered Wednesday morning and got the shipment confirmation email Friday evening saying that it shipped on Thursday (not impressive email processing), estimating delivery Monday. I guess that's not bad for free shipping, if it actually gets here then.

Three of the seven are spoken for and they aren't even here yet and I turned down the request to reship one (the three are local hand off, not shipment).
Scoob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my shipping confirmation (about 10 minutes ago). Funny thing is that I got the package about 3 hours ago! Not too bad, although their communications are lacking.
drb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am getting the 9910, here is one ? Does the 9910 feel [size and grip] like the Producer 8 [8800]? I hate the 8800, while it is about the same length of the 15-1994 and feels way too big. Also I don't like the button layout of the Pro 8. The 9910 seems that the layout could work.

DRB
Scoob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the HT-Pro instead of the 9910. Same thing except the back is coated with an almost-suede coating that is easy to grip. The 9910 is a smooth back. I like the feel and weight of these in my hands - and so does the wife. My dad was in town last week and liked it so much he ordered 2 himself (and received them two days ago). 8)

I've never held the Producer 8, so I don't know about the feel. But from the pics, it seems "heavy" in the middle, while the "new" design of the 9910/HT-Pro is shapely and contoured in the middle for easier holding.

Follow the x10.com link from Rob above. Only $7.99 each plus shipping.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 9910/HT-Pro remotes really have next to nothing in common with the old Producer 8 series. The P8 is indeed bulky, the 9910/HTpro is much slimer.

However, the word I hear is that X10 has sold out of the HTPro. I also checked with Surf Remote Control and they say that the distributor has stopped selling it also.
Scoob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HT-Pro is still in stock with x10.com. They say the distributor isn't supplying, but they still have some. Hurry!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: