JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ok, I need help. need discrete codes, and some other tips...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pickled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: ok, I need help. need discrete codes, and some other tips... Reply with quote

I did pretty well on my first run through with JP1 about 2yrs ago, but I'm pretty lost now that I'm trying to do it again. Here's 3 of my current issues:

1) Is there somewhere I can tell exactly what I did to this remote before? Did I extend it, upgrade it etc...how can I tell? Also, I think I did both, if so how would I know what for? I know that's a lame question, but it's been so long I really have no idea.

2) I'm using the HTPro/8910 OFA remote and I currently can control most of my stereo which is an HK 525 EXCEPT I need to be able to set it to the right surround sound setting (DTS NEO6) when I switch to other devices. For some reason, it used to work perfectly but now it has stopped. However, I never had a discrete code for this so I have no idea why it worked before. How can I get this to work flawlessly?

3) I also need discrete codes for my TV, but if I remember right they didnt exist when I did this before. My TV is a Toshiba CX36H60 (CX32H60 should also be the same). If I still can't get those, how can I get things working better? As it is now, it works ok, but I have 2 buttons one for ALL OFF, and one for ALL ON, and that's due soley to the TV. I'd prefer one button for on and off...any ideas how to do that?

Thanks a lot!
Herbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anwsers:

1) Use ir.exe to dump the contents of the remote. An extender will show up there (if present), and upgrades will show up, although you can't quite reconstruct the upgrade back into KM.

2) Read (and answer) the The Number 1 Code Search FAQ in the Code Search section

3) Tosh is known as the #1 TOAD (non discrete) brand. If there were none before, there are probably none now. The best you can hope for is that a workaround might be available. On Toshiba VCRs, usually hitting "Play" will power on the unit if it was off. Maybe something similar exists for the TV? (Channel up, or something?)

3A) I'm confused, though: If you have an ALL_OFF and ALL_ON button, aren't you using discretes? If you want one button for POWER_TOGGLE (on/off/on/etc.) then just use the advanced code for power. The Toshiba WILL have a code for this.
pickled

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Thanks!

2) I just did, see http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4066

3A) I guess I'm the one that was confused. I am using discretes for everything except the TV, which is why I have the seperate buttons for On and Off. So, I described it wrong, but I still have the same issue -- I have 2 buttons for power now, but I want to have just one that toggles. Any pointers about how to do that with my set up?

Thanks again.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are seeking suggestions, why don't you explain why you are looking for a power toggle. Most of us create a macro that turns on all the relevant equipment and sets all the AV inputs to the correct settings depending on what we are doing like watch TV, or a DVD, watch the PVR, etc. Those only work well when you have discrete power and input commands.

Usually we put those macros on the on the device button that best describes what we are doing. So you press TV and everything just works. Many of us have a master Off macro. Mine is on shift-power but many also use sleep.

BTW, there is a very reliable macro to create discrete input selections for the Toshiba TV's. It depends somewhat on model, but one is Ch+|Video Toggle. Ch+ always takes you to Tuner mode and then AV toggle takes you to video 1. Video 2 is Ch+|Video Toggle|Video Toggle. The newer sets use a menu command and a numeral. Perhaps AV toggle brings up a menu and you select the input by number (or something like that).

If you really want a toggle button then the standard Toshiba TV power toggle should work. You can key move TV/0156 EFC 119 to the device/button combination of your choice. You do NOT need to have TV/0156 assigned to any device on your remote.

I believe there are some recent Toshiba branded LCD Flat Panel Displays that are made by LG and use their IR command set. Otherwise, every Toshiba TV that I have run across uses the basic command set in TV/0156
pickled

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jon.

Quote:
why don't you explain why you are looking for a power toggle. Most of us create a macro that turns on all the relevant equipment and sets all the AV inputs to the correct settings depending on what we are doing like watch TV, or a DVD, watch the PVR, etc. Those only work well when you have discrete power and input commands.

Usually we put those macros on the on the device button that best describes what we are doing. So you press TV and everything just works. Many of us have a master Off macro. Mine is on shift-power but many also use sleep.

Based on what you are saying I guess I DON'T want a toggle. What I was trying to do was improve my current set up since it was done 2yrs ago, and is not quite right. So, since I'm too green to even know what I need here's my current set up:

Devices: Motorola Cable Box, Toshiba TV CX36H60, Tivo, Xbox, Reciever HK 525, Sony DVD Player DVP-NC665P

1) I use my POWER button to turn everything on, and set eveything properly for TV watching.
2) To switch to a different device, press the device button and everything switches to the correct settings for that device
3) To turn everything off I currently use the M1 button, but I like the Sleep idea!

Problems with this set up:

1) This is the pressing problem -- I don't know how to get my macros to set the receiver correctly. 99% of the time I need it to go to DTS NEO 6 CINE, but since that can toggle right now, I usually end up on DTS NEO 6 MUSIC which sounds AWFUL for TV watching and movies. What can I do here?

2) I pretty much always have to turn everything on, even if I'm only going to use the stereo. How can I fix that? I think what you guys do is something like have the macro on the RCVR button turn everything ON and set right just for the reciever, which sounds good, but I get brain cramp trying to figure out how to get each device to work perfectly with just it's device key AND in conjunction with everything else. Here's an example, I could use the TV button to turn on and set up the TV for watching, then I want to switch to DVD so I click the DVD button, since the DVD button now also sets everything right for itself, it will toggle the TV OFF since the TV was on before I pressed the DVD button. I have no clue how to get around that. Any tips, or even just your views on this would be a big help.

3) Since I have macros on the device keys I can't really access any device easily without running the macros which isn't always ideal. What's a common approach here?

Quote:
discrete input selections for the Toshiba TV's

Thanks, I've been using that already and it works great for switching the input on the TV.

Quote:
You do NOT need to have TV/0156 assigned to any device on your remote

You stressed this a bit, but I don't know why this is important? Space savings? Also, since I do need to have control of the TV, don't I have to have it in there as a device?
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's start with the basics and I'll post some suggestions on the sound fields for the HK separately:

On your list the following have discrete power commands:
Toshiba TV CX36H60
Receiver HK 525
Sony DVD Player DVP-NC665P

I think the TiVo does but most people leave them On. I'm not sure about the XBox and the Motorola STB definitely doesn't have discrete power commands, so leave it on all the time. You probably do that anyway with a TiVo. Neither one consumes very much power (and probably consumes about the same amout of power on or off).

Start with using the shift-device button for your macros. It solves your issue about accessing your device button for the time being.

FWIW, I don't try to turn off everything until the final Off command. If I start with TV and then go to DVD and then to satellite, I don't bother to turn the DVD off until I shut everything down. Here would be the macros I would suggest. Make sure you have VPT set to receiver :

shift-TV
Receiver/Amp(device button)
Receiver On
TV input (Receiver)
TV(device button)
Discrete On

shift-DVD
Receiver On
DVD input (Receiver)
TV(device button)
TV On
Ch+
Video/Toggle (assuming AV1 input)
DVD(device button)
Discrete On

shift-Receiver/Amp
TV (device button)
Discrete Off -- I would turn the TV off in this case
Receiver On
CD input (or tuner etc.)

shift-VCR -- For the TiVo
Receiver On
TiVo input
TV(device button)
TV On
Ch+
Video/Toggle
Video/Toggle (assuming AV2 input)
VCR(device button)
Discrete On

Sleep
TV (device button)
Discrete OffReceiver/Amp(device button)
Discrete Off
DVD (device button)
Discrete Off

These ignore timing issues etc. I don't know if the Toshiba TV is an HD model, but I set up a separate macro for HD and Regular definition TV and in my case HD and Regular definition Satellite since the inputs are different. I am assuming you use the TiVo to control the cable box. If not you would create a shift-Cable macro similar to the others.

However, at the end of each macro, if done in the order that I have listed, the Volume (due to VPT) will control the receiver and the Transport keys (Play, stop, FF etc) will control the TiVo or DVD as appropriate. If you execute a macro the second time, since you are using discrete (or psuedo-discrete) commands nothing will be turned back off. Also if you are watching a DVD and hit Ch+, nothing will happen. If you had been in the TV device mode you would have just changed back to TV and listening to the DVD audio.

Regarding my emphasis about TV/0156, I was attempting to point out that if you were using a device upgrade for the TV, perhaps TV/1156 you didn't have to assign a setup code from the built in library to a device button to use commands from it. You can assign just about any setup code/EFC to most any device/button on your remote.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the HK sound fields, I don't really know anything about the HK receivers, but I did have an HK-520 (and some others) decoded in my files with these commands:

(NEC1):130.114:140 EFC=060 Test

(NEC1):130.114:144 EFC=125 Hall*
(NEC1):130.114:147 EFC=131 Matrix*
(NEC1):130.114:149 EFC=128 Movie*
(NEC1):130.114:150 EFC=126 Night
(NEC1):130.114:153 EFC=001 Up
(NEC1):130.114:154 EFC=255 Down
(NEC1):130.114:155 EFC=003 Stereo
(NEC1):130.114:160 EFC=221 DTS
(NEC1):130.114:161 EFC=225 DTS NEO:6
(NEC1):130.114:162 EFC=223 Logic 7

(NEC1):130.114:193 EFC=177 Left

To find discrete commands, you generally look at the lineup of OBC. (NEC1):130.114 is the (Protocol):Device.Sub-device and the three digit number just after that is OBC. OBC's are the true function number from the manufacturer. The commands with asterisks came from other HK models, but many times those functions will work on all or some other models. I don't know if a command for DTS NEO:6 and then "movie" will work, but it's Worth a try. If DTS NEO:6 will get you to where you can toggle the sound fields a consistent number of toggle to work reliably then you can just add that in the macros as appropriate. You probably want to try every OBC from 141 to 170 to see if any do what you want. I assume that 154 and 155 move up and down the choices of sound fields, but I don't have the equipment.

If that still doens't fix the problem, you can always assign the appropriate receiver sound field toggle commands using key moves to buttons in the other devices (TV, DVD, TiVo, etc.) so you can adjust them after the macros have been executed without having to return to the receiver mode to fiddle with them.

Use can also use tools like DecodeCCF to decode HK Pronto ccf files to find other potential hidden commands to try to get discrete commands to simplify the process.
pickled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks very much Jon! this is just the type of info I needed. I hope to have a chance to work on the remote this weekend, at which time I'll probably have a few questions for you once I can digest your whole post.
pickled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On your list the following have discrete power commands:
Toshiba TV CX36H60

Just noticed the above quote. I thought my TV could only toggle power? Did you mistype, or can I get discreets for the TV somewhere?
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I got confused by your answer to Herbie. Most Toshiba TV's are TOADS except for newer RPTV and HDTV's. Wait until you get everything else working correctly and then tackle the extender and ToadTog. It works really well and gives you a virtual discrete On and Off.

The TV is probably the least important device for discrete power commands because it's pretty obvious when On or Off. All my other equipment is in equipment closets so that would be much harder without discrete power and input commands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: