JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony STR-DE915 Learned to Keymove

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phobia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Sony STR-DE915 Learned to Keymove Reply with quote

Hi,

In a previous thread, I managed to get most of my learned commands setup as keymoves in my 15-2116 Radio Shack remote.

I have only the learned commands from my Sony STR-DE915 receiver left to transfer. When I transfer the learned codes to keymoves the resulting keypresses don't operate the receiver.

What am I doing wrong? I've looked at some of the Sony specific files, but I'm not sure where to begin. The remote functions when using the learned button, but not when I try to move it to a keymoved button.

The receiver responds to RCVR code 1058 and the learned keys do work, so I'm not sure if the whole AV1 AV2 thing applies to what I'm doing or not.

Here is my current IR file... not sure if that will help or not.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=download&file_id=1286

Any help is appreciated greatly!

-- Phob
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at http://www.hifi-remote.com/sony/Sony_efctable.htm

Your learned signals use the Sony12 protocol, with a mix of devices 12, 18, and 16, so you'll have to use the appropriate setup codes as listed on that page to get those devices.

That page uses the term command code ( or C.C.), which from a JP1 point of view is the OBC.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Phobia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Is the best method to use RM to make an upgrade?

I did this, with success for a 1 button test, but it seems to have completely reasigned my AUX from RCVR 1058 to 0159. (0159 is the setup code which works for the device 12 items on that list)

Many other keys stopped working with this "upgrade". Is this normal? I'm going to have to make seperate upgrades for each of the devices (12, 16 and 18).

I'm a bit confused as to how to combine the upgraded code with my exsisting setup as to not loose my working keys.

thanks!

-- Phob
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A device upgrade does not overlay a setup code. It replaces it.

RM/KM are perfectly good ways to handle this, but you either have to
  1. Recreate the entire setup code or
  2. Use RM/KM to create a device upgrade with no buttons assigned, and which is not assigned to a device kye, then use IR to create the keymoves you want, using the Hex cmd that RM/KM shows for the desired functions.

Phobia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will I need a seperate upgrade for each device? 12, 16 and 18?
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phobia wrote:
Setup code 1058 is capable of generating commands for all three of those device numbers. It uses 2-byte keymoves, so it's a little harder to translate the OBC into the required hex values to enter into the keymove in IR. The easiest way to determine the hex values would be to use KM or RM as a "hex code calculator". You would start an upgrade using the Sony Combo (12/15/20) protocol, set the program to OBC mode, and just enter the functions you need on the functions tab. The two hex bytes will be calculated for you, and then you can manually enter them in the keymove in IR.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could either use 2 upgrades that use the Sony 12/15 protocol (it allows two devices), or one upgrade that uses the Sony 12/15/20 protocol that allows any device number, but would require a protocol upgrade.

Alternatively, you can try using the setup code listed on that page I linked to earlier, showing the device numbers available from some of the built-in setup codes. For example, Audio/0000 uses devices 17 and 12 (need that one!), Audio/0020 uses devices 18 (need it) and 24, and Audio/0158 has devices 16 (need it) and 13.

Then, depending on whether the device you want is listed first (A) or second( B), you take the OBC and pull the EFC to use for your keymoves from the appropriate column.

So for example take the signal you've learned onto the PIP button, which uses device 12 and OBC 63, you would create the keymove using setup code AUD/0000, then lookup command code 63 in the "B" EFC column, which would give EFC 165.
Phobia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Success Reply with quote

Thanks so much to you both of your very helpful advice!

I ended up going Mike's route and used RM as a 2-byte HEX calculator for the correct keymove codes for Setup Device 1058.

Here is my current IR file.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=download&file_id=1287

Now that I have no more learned keys in memory, I have to apply the extender and try to get my Macros all setup on DSP keys.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions about that! Smile

Thanks again,

-- Phob
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
...or one upgrade that uses the Sony 12/15/20 protocol that allows any device number, but would require a protocol upgrade.
Greg, the 15-2116 doesn't need a protocol upgrade for the Sony 12/15/20 (pid 0027) protocol. It's used by the built-in 1058 setup code, and therefore can generate any Sony 12 or Sony 15 command.
carlb613

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phobia wrote:

mr_d_p_gumby wrote:
Setup code 1058 is capable of generating commands for all three of those device numbers. It uses 2-byte keymoves, so it's a little harder to translate the OBC into the required hex values to enter into the keymove in IR. The easiest way to determine the hex values would be to use KM or RM as a "hex code calculator".

I tried setting up a Sony STR-K650P on a 15-2116 "eight-in-one" remote and was able to access everything of major importance but the [DVD] button on the front panel, and all without going the JP1 route (yet).

The 1058 (and 1158, and 1258) "two-byte" codes appear merely to be combining codes from three of the one-byte devices: 0158 Audio controls volume/mute/power and input selector buttons, 0159 Misc controls tuner functions (scan, preset 0-9/A/B/C, direct frequency input). The third code is 0010 Misc but this provides very few functions and can be ignored.

Unfortunately the 0158audio code has been removed from the 15-2116.

However, if I start with the following keys already assigned:
TV 0060 Samsung (using keymoves for caption/menu items)
VCR 0060 GE/RCA (default)
SAT (using entirely learned codes - now why won't it redefine <power>?)
DVD 0651 Koss CD/DVD player (found by code search)
Audio 1058 (Sony receiver)

and, for a second TV and stereo:
CD rcvr0219 (Sanyo DXD959CD stereo)
Aux vcr0240 (Samsung TVCR combo unit, addressed as a Samsung VCR, using a learned code for <input> button only)

then there is still one button free (I don't have cable) so assign:
Cable misc0159
Audio rcvr1058

The 'learning' memory is already full (due to learning an entire Fortec Star dish remote) but there's still just enough 'keymove' space free to move anything interesting from misc0159 (assigned to the otherwise unused 'cable' button) to [Audio] where it may be added to the existing Sony codes:

Keymoves
[cable/misc0159] P-0-1-0 to [Audio/rcvr1058] 1
[cable/misc0159] P-0-0-6 to [Audio/rcvr1058] 2
[cable/misc0159] P-0-0-8 to [Audio/rcvr1058] 3
[cable/misc0159] P-0-0-4 to [Audio/rcvr1058] 4
[cable/misc0159] P-0-1-1 to [Audio/rcvr1058] 5
[cable/misc0159] P-0-0-7 to [Audio/rcvr1058] 6
[cable/misc0159] P-0-0-9 to [Audio/rcvr1058] 7
[cable/misc0159] P-0-0-5 to [Audio/rcvr1058] 8
[cable/misc0159] P-1-3-8 to [Audio/rcvr1058] 9
[cable/misc0159] P-1-3-4 to [Audio/rcvr1058] 0
[cable/misc0159] P-0-4-2 to [Audio/rcvr1058] [+100] (A)
[cable/misc0159] P-0-3-8 to [Audio/rcvr1058] [A/B] (B)
[cable/misc0159] P-0-4-0 to [Audio/rcvr1058] [sleep] (C)

take care of the presets; the direct frequency enter key is already in code rcvr1058 as [select] and may be moved to [enter] using keymove:

[audio] [select] to [audio] [enter]

and the scan +/- keys assigned using keymoves:

[cable/misc0159] P-0-7-2 to [Audio/rcvr1058] [ch+]
[cable/misc0159] P-0-6-8 to [Audio/rcvr1058] [ch-]

At this point, the select and arrow keys may be reassigned to the five (of what should have been six) available input sources using keymoves:

[audio] 1 to [audio] [leftarrow] audiodisc
[audio] 2 to [audio] [select] tuner
[audio] 3 to [audio] [rightarrow] video2/toslink
[audio] 5 to [audio] [uparrow] audiotape
[audio] 6 to [audio] [downarrow] video1

The DVD code (audio0158 advanced code P-1-9-1) is not available without going the JP1 route but the rest seems to work well enough.

This particular combination uses all available memory for keymoves and for learning so could well represent the approximate limit of what the 'out-of-the-box' 15-2116 remote can do without the JP1 cable.

I'm sure that this could be done in some better way by downloading new JP1 devices for Sony and for the FTA dish, but for a "too lazy to get out of the easychair and put the remote down" solution it's not half bad Smile
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlb613, you can map efc for sony audio receivers on the 2116 without jp1. Here's how:

1. press AUDIO
2. press and hold P
3. press SELECT
4. scroll down to TAPE
5. press SELECT
6. press exit

7. press AUDIO
8. press and hold P
9. scroll down to KEYMOVER
10. press SELECT
11. press AUDIO
12. tap P, do not hold
13. enter 124 or 191 for DVD, or what EFC you're mapping
14. press SELECT
15. press AUDIO
16. pick a key

Now repeat for other EFC's you need by starting from step 7. Once done return AUDIO device to setup code 1058.
carlb613

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaskedMan wrote:
carlb613, you can map efc for sony audio receivers on the 2116 without jp1. Here's how:

1. press AUDIO
2. press and hold P
3. press SELECT
4. scroll down to TAPE
5. press SELECT
6. press exit

7. press AUDIO
8. press and hold P
9. scroll down to KEYMOVER...

Hmmm, that's interesting...

Not sure if this was what you meant but press-and-hold-<P>, then scroll down to TAPE gives me the usual list of device codes (such as Sony TAPE0243, TAPE 0170 and some other assorted codes for other brands).

Tape0170 doesn't seem to offer me anything useful, but TAPE0243 is able to provide power/volume/mute control and does allow the advanced codes (such as P-1-9-1) which used to be in Audio0158 to be used.

The <DVD> key P-1-9-1 can then presumably be "borrowed" from TAPE0243 using the same keymove approach described above for keymoving the various Misc0159 tuner codes into a Audio1058 device.

The keymove sequence would be, were the TAPE code assigned to <cable> or some unused device key and AUDIO1058 to the <audio> key:

press-and-hold<P>, then select 'keymover'
from key: <cable> P-1-9-1 <select>
to key: <audio> then whichever key is to become the DVD input select

As far as I can tell, no requirement that either of these codes actually remain assigned to the unused <cable> (or whatever other) device key once the keymoves have been completed.

Presumably every code for the Sony in AV1 mode (receiver powered up once with the front-panel <enter> key pressed and held) should therefore be found among regular or advanced codes in one of the following:

Tape0243 - power/volume, hidden (advanced) functions for input select

Misc0159 - tuner - scan, presets, direct frequency entry

Misc0010 - (just a few lesser-used speaker control keys)

Nice work... thanks Smile

Last edited by carlb613 on Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
carlb613

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by carlb613 on Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant what I wrote, if you DON'T press SELECT after "press and hold P", you run into other operations like LEARN, VOL LOCK and SUCH. Hitting SELECT, you're now in CODE SET, so you can change RCVR or AMP to TAPE. And didn't have you enter a code because the first one listed is Sony TAPE code 0243 which you need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: