JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

X10 - Getting Started

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: X10 - Getting Started Reply with quote

If you want to use a JP1 remote to control your X10 devices, you will need one extra piece of equipment. You will need an IR543 box, available for $20 from Home Automation Net (click on the link). These USA boxes run on 110v, Europeans needing a 220v box should use the IR7243 box available for £32 from Let's Automate (click on the link).

Either of these boxes will convert the IR signals from your JP1 remote into X10 signals which it will send down the powerline. The official setup code for X10 is HOME/0167 (HOME is the same as CD in most remotes). If your remote doesn't have that code installed, you can use this upgrade from the file section to add it.

If your intention is to use your JP1 remote to program another remote, like the MX-500 perhaps, you should use that upgrade even if your remote does have the HOME/0167 code isntalled, because it generates a much cleaner, easier to learn, signal than the one generated by the official 0167 code.

If you could use discrete codes for your X10 devices, such as a code that will only turn on the unit 1 device (without you needing to first press 1, then pressing CH+, you can use this hacked upgrade. It still sends the 1 and CH+ signals, but it controls it within the protocol itself and it allows you to program the code to one button. This would also be useful if you are using your JP1 remote to teach a remote like the MX-500 that only allows macros on a limited selection of buttons.

The IR543 (or IR7243) box works with just one House Code, which is selected using a rotary dial on the box itself, you can't control the House Code from the remote control. If you need this level of control you should get the $95 hacked IR543AH box, and for your remote you would need this upgrade. There is a version for the UK available here for £65.

A frequently asked question among X10 beginners is "Where can I find a universal remote that will control my X10 devices using RF instead of IR?" and the answer is you can't, the only remotes that will control X10 by RF are the ones that X10 sells.

Another frequently asked question is "Can I use the RF signal from my 15-2117 or URC-9910 to control my X10 transceiver?". The answer is no, IR/RF remotes like the 15-2117, URC-9910, etc cannot control RF devices. Your only viable solution is to get an IR543 box.

The folder for X10 / Home Automation upgrades is:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/3. Device Codes/Home Automation

Last edited by The Robman on Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
pickled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: is that always the case? Reply with quote

I don't mind getting that box, but do I need it? My X10 stuff is run off this:

http://www.homeautomationnet.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=103

Which recieves RF signals to control my X10 stuff. So, if my JP1 remote already sends RF signals I should be good to go, shouldn't I?
pickled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermind! I just got the answer in post#2 right here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3012

thanks anyway!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: