JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

8810w Connection Problems! Argghh...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OatmealNick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: 8810w Connection Problems! Argghh... Reply with quote

I know these problems have been posted a zillion times before but I swear I have tried everything. I made the Simple Interface Rev 5. First I used 10k Ohm resistors and a 1N4148 Diode. Got "Problem connecting to interface" anytime it was plugged into the parallel port, Either plugged in remote or not. I messed around with it and got it to say "Problem connecting to Remote" until I plugged it into the remote then I got the "Problem connecting to Interface" again. I rebuilt the interface with an old school germanium diode and 1k ohm resistors. I get the same "Remote Problem" until I connect it to the remote then I get the "Interface problem". Just to clarify I tested all of those combinations with Batteries in, out, reversed, Timing delay 0-100, multiple ports etc. Anyone have any clue?? It's starting to get annoying Crying or Very sad
btw does anyone happen to have a PCB layout for Eagle or Express PCB for the Ultimate Interface? I was trying to make it on a 1 sided board but gave up and I dident want to order multiple boards if I only need 1. Thanks in advance!
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most likely problems (no offense intended , I have done one of these myself several times) are construction errors or operator errors. If you built it yourself , you may have the cable orientation wrong. Have you tried reversing the JP1 plug on the remote? (did you look very carefully at the connector to determine pin1) The RS232 connector usually has small numbers marking the pins but the JP1 side won't. Have you taken an ohm meter and verified that you have continuity from connector to connector. Did you extend the ground connections as mentioned in the instructions or just connected 1 ground pin on the RS232 connector.

Very carefull attention to detail is important when constructing projects. I may be a little anal about this due to my profession. I once built a HeathKit Oscilloscope that worked correctly the first time with no construction errors.

The most common error I have is plugging the connector backwards (I used a 6 hole Molex connector for my adapters rather than a modified drive cable connector.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: