JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Interfacing a URC6017

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Interfacing a URC6017 Reply with quote

Hi there, mabye this is a Canadian model thing but I have been unsuccessful at passing the interface test with 2 URC6017s. I tried batteries in/out as suggested by I. I built a second simple interface that has the 1K instead of the 10K resistors but this has not helped either. Both interfaces work just fine with my RCU810.

The only real affect I have on the 6017 is that once I run the interface test, I have to unplug the interface to get the remote to function (LED blinks) - for visual confirmation, I have held down the volume key while performing the test and the LED on the remote goes out as soon as I select O.K. to begin the test.

Any suggestions? I was hoping to be bilingual with RCA and OFA by Monday morning. Very Happy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The URC-6017 is the Canadian version of the American URC-6012. Neither remote ships in a JP1 ready condition, you have to solder in three components to make it work (as described in the mod doc in the Hardware folder):

1) An EEPROM
2) A 6-pin header
3) A wire across JMP2

You described your interface in great detail but neglected to mention what modifications you made to your URC-6017
MJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Thank you Rob Reply with quote

A minor boo boo.. the EEPROM is the problem. I Overlooked the EEPROM requirement on the list of JP1 capables. Embarassed I was curious about that jumper when I saw it. I shorted it but that obviously couldn't have helped without the EEPROM.
MJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: ... in addition, there are no pads for an EEPROM on my 6017 Reply with quote

Should the pads be obvious?
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that radio shack does not carry the eeprom that JP1 needs. I have also read several notes recently about folks that bought the wrong eeprom (they go by bits, not bytes, so the number you actually are looking for on the eeprom turns out not to be intuitively 2k).

so in anticipation of your next question, where can i get this eeprom, you might want to read this. also, i think these people can sell it to you, but make you sure you order the right part.
JP1Files
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: ... in addition, there are no pads for an EEPROM on my 6 Reply with quote

MJ wrote:
Should the pads be obvious?

I think so.

See some pics of the 6012w PCB in the Yahoo! group Photos section.

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/lst?.dir=/6012w+EEPROM+addon&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t

Hal
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On most EEPROMs the #1 pin is marked with a dot or a bevel. If you get an EEPROM where it's not obvious, just look for some sort of indication of where pin1 is, because it will be marked somehow.

Then on the remote, you'll see that four of the pads are joined together, this is the side where pins 1 trhu 4 should go.

I would advise reading my "how to" doc on this in the Hardware folder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: