JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dish PVR/DVR and 811 Tip
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donphillipe, I have fixed the problem and tested it. Basically when we did the second device upgrade for remote address 11 it called the newer protocol $0002 and you dutifully uploaded the new protocol. Your other device upgrade for remote address 1 used the older version of $0002 that is built in to the 8810/8811. The reason is that with two protocols with the same ID the upgrade will take priority. That in turn will break the device upgrade that you previously had for remote address 1.

What I did was create a device upgrade for remote address 1 that uses the newer protocol. I also changed it to a PVR(VCR) also and renamed it VCR/1780. By changing that I eliminated a number of key moves and deleted some redundant ones. You now have the same buttons assigned with a lot more key move macro memory. Page up is on FFWD and Page down is on FREV

Remote address 11 is VCR/1775. I have uploaded a zip of the two KM Master device upgrades and the new file in IR with the upgrades loaded and the other changes that I mentioned. So you can directly upload the WalmartDS5-1.IR into your 8810 and test it. It worked well in my 8811.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garypen wrote:
You know. I did read it. And it didn't really click with me. I'll read it again, though.

In the mean time, if the reader simply right clicks on the link, and chooses "save target as", he/she can save the KM txt file just fine. (Your links seem to work the same way, so I'm wondering what the diff is?)

The difference is that Greg's links work, and yours don't.

If you look closely, you'll notice that your links begin with http://f6.grp.yahoofs.com/... and have alot of "randon data" crap in them before getting to the actual file name, whereas Greg's links begin with http://groups.yahoo.com/ and don't have any random data in the URL.

Please re-read the "how to" thread (which is also linked to from my sig) and tell us what isn't clear, then we'll try and make it clearer.
garypen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They work when I right-click 'em. But, it's moot, as Greg's work, as you say.

If I need to post any more links, I'll deal with the instructions at that time.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your links will work for a short time, but they will expire. And then nobody can use them.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
garypen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhh. Dot splains it Lucy.

I'll go back and edit the links at some point. In the mean time, everyone can use Greg's corrected links that he was kind enough to post.

They're pretty nice KM files for Dish receivers, especially with 2116/2117 remotes.
donphillipe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Got it to work Reply with quote

Boy, what support you guys give here. This is great!!! I REALLY do appreciate the effort by this team. I finally got my remote to work and I could have not done it without your help here. Here is what I did, I went to PVR2's regular remote and changed my remote access code from 11 to 3 (because I now had a working mapping of a RC=3 for a Dish PVR). I then opened the 811 (RC=3) example KM above. What I found was that all the functions of the 811 exactly matched what I was already using as SAT/1775 for my PVR1 (a 522). I checked the 811 functions and the only difference I could see with it and the 1775 I was already using for PVR1 was that unit code 2 was selected instead of 0.

So, as a test, I opened my existing KM file for my 8810 mappings for SAT/1775, changed the unit code to 2 and saved the file as CABLE/1776. I then assigned the CABLE/1776 for the cable button. Now, the good news is that when I use SAT, my PVR1 is controlled as always and (update!) when I use CABLE, my PVR2 now responds to the same personal preference keys I assigned to PVR1.

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Now onward to tackle trying to make the function buttons of the remote send a video input select to my tuner. This will be way beyond my current level of experience! Any pointers on where to get started would be like always, appreciated!

Last edited by donphillipe on Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
donphillipe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry jon, I will test yours if you would like, however, I already got something going before seeing your last post. I can't thank you enough for your help and thank you gary for the shortcut! You guys are A++++++++++!!!!!
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Got it to work Reply with quote

donphillipe wrote:
(Now onward to tackle trying to make the function buttons of the remote send a video input select to my tuner. This will be way beyond my current level of experience! Any pointers on where to get started would be like always, appreciated!

The numeral keys are the AV inputs on most audio setup codes including Audio/1023, that IIRC is your receiver (that is setup on both your TV device and Receiver device). I assume that is the receiver you want to use. BTW, IIRC, the volume punch through won't work on a non-native device. Your VPT is set for TV and I think it will only work if you set it for the Receiver, but I never remember the non-extended rules correctly since I use an extender.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donphillipe wrote:
Sorry jon, I will test yours if you would like, however, I already got something going before seeing your last post

No, remember the first rule of management: "don't mess with anything that is working properly" Smile
donphillipe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Got it to work Reply with quote

jon_armstrong wrote:

The numeral keys are the AV inputs on most audio setup codes including Audio/1023, that IIRC is your receiver (that is setup on both your TV device and Receiver device). I assume that is the receiver you want to use. BTW, IIRC, the volume punch through won't work on a non-native device. Your VPT is set for TV and I think it will only work if you set it for the Receiver, but I never remember the non-extended rules correctly since I use an extender.

I am using the video/audio switcher from the receiver to select desired display video that drives my projection TV monitor. As far as using TV for the receiver's device type, simply by using the receiver remote code with a device type of TV worked for some reason. If I can remember from when I set it up with my previous amp, I think I had to make it a TV device to have VPT work. Not sure if it was supposed to work this way, but I am not touching that part of it if I can help it!

Re: Switching video inputs when selecting device buttons on remote .....
The new amp (that just replaced the previous one hit by lightning) has discrete device buttons on the remote, so if could send one of those keys whenever I switch device buttons on the remote, it would all be automatic! This rings a bell that this may require an "extender" to send signals when the remote device buttons are pressed, and from memory, the last time I started reading up on extenders, my brain fused. With the setup I have today, I only have "64 free" in Move/Macro so that may not be enough room to do what I want anyway (with all the other stuff I have set up).

I will hit this again if I can get up the courage. Maybe someone has written an easier to understand document (for me :-0) on it since I last looked. Thanks again for all your help .....
garypen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using your AV receiver for video switching, why not try and find an upgrade code for your receiver? I downloaded one for Denon, added a few functions that were missing by copying the learned codes, and created a new file that does everything, including sound modes, eq, and basically all configuration parameters, as well as input/source switching that you seek.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Got it to work Reply with quote

donphillipe wrote:
Re: Switching video inputs when selecting device buttons on remote .....
The new amp (that just replaced the previous one hit by lightning) has discrete device buttons on the remote, so if could send one of those keys whenever I switch device buttons on the remote, it would all be automatic!
This rings a bell that this may require an "extender" to send signals when the remote device buttons are pressed, and from memory, the last time I started reading up on extenders, my brain fused.

You would need the extender to put macros on the device keys for the 8810W. Without the extender, you can assign a macro to a shifted device key which is a good first step. Get everything working exactly the way you want and then the final step is installing the extender.

Quote:
With the setup I have today, I only have "64 free" in Move/Macro so that may not be enough room to do what I want anyway (with all the other stuff I have set up).

The extender will give you more memory since it reallocates 1K of learning memory. But based on what I saw in your configuration you had several redundant key moves for Page Up and Down on one of your dish units (each one is five bytes). Also if you change the device type on your SAT receivers to VCR(or PVR) you can directly assign the Transport Keys (Play,Stop, FF, REW, etc). When using the CBL/SAT device type you must key move them. That is four extra bytes per button x two devices. You will save something like ~50 bytes of key move/macro memory
by doing that. You will use up a little more upgrade memory but the net savings is four bytes per Transport button.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: