JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"No response from interface..."

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevpriest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: "No response from interface..." Reply with quote

I originally posted in this thread: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1799, but didn't get any attention there, so I'm trying this as its own thread.

I'm having trouble getting started in what looks to be a very interesting hobby.

Here is my situation:

I started with a 15-1994, bought a JP1 cable from HovisDirect, and connected it to one of my computers. I installed IR, placed the decodeir.dll in the same directory, installed the rdf files, and started IR and pointed them to the rdf files. Then I tried to test the interface, but I get the message "No response from interface..."

I checked my LPT1 port, it's set to use 378 in both WindowsXP and the system bios. I tried turning the JP1 cable connector upside down. I always get the same message "No response from interface...".

I tried two other computers, one a fresh install of Windows 2000, one a Laptop with XP Home on it. In both cases, I verified that LPT1 was set to 378 in both the bios and Windows. On all computers, I get "No response from the interface..."

I bought a new remote, a 15-2116. Same response all three computers. I read the hardware docs where it talks about testing the interface, but here I started getting out of my depth. But clearly, something's not correct, because even if I completely remove the interface from the computer (nothing plugged into the parallel port at all) and choose "Check Interface", I get the same message. From reading "Simple Interface Rev 5", I expected to get a different error in that case.

Let me add that I've also tried adjusting the transmission delay between 0 and 1600.

Where should I be looking to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks,

KevPriest[url][/url]
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that you're getting the "No response" message on 3 different computers leads me to believe that the cable might be defective.

What happens if you uncheck the Auto Check entry on the Interface menu and try a download? You might also want to try removing the batteries from the remote, or reversing one battery to reduce the voltage.
kevpriest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried unchecking "Auto Check", but whenever I get to actually attempting a download it just tells me it just says "No Response from Remote. Make sure the interface is plugged into JP1 properly."

I've tried it with batteries in, out, but I definitely didn't try with one reversed. Hmmm.

As far as the cable being bad, is there a simple way to test? I do have a ohmmeter around here somewhere. Is there somewhere the correct readings I should expect are spelled out, or should I re-read the "Simple Interface" document and try to figure out the correct readings from that?

Thanks!

KevPriest
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, you're getting the same results on multiple PC's with multiple remotes?
kevpriest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all three computers do exactly the same thing.

Thanks again,

KevPriest
fezzicthegiant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Having Similar Problem Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

I have an 8810b and a home-made JP1 cable. Out of frustration I made a second cable and bought a 8810w at Walmart and am getting the same deal on both my laptop and my wife's computer:

If plugged in normal or not at all:

Did not receive a response (acknowledgement) from the remote after sending device address. (ErrNo=7, Param=160)
Details: No response from interface. Make sure that the interface is connected to the PC, and that you've specified the correct port.

If plugged in backwards:

No response from interface. Make sure that the interface is connected to the PC, and that you've specified the correct port.

This is the only way I can get different results. I've been reading through lots of posts and doing searches. I've tried the usual suspects like changing batteries, taking out batteries, putting one in backwards.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
fezzicthegiant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: NEVERMIND Reply with quote

Backwards diode!!! Switched it and we are good to go. 8)
w3s

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: No response from remote - Even when cable not plugged in. Reply with quote

I am also getting the error message "No response form remote" when running the Check interface test. I get this response even when the interface is not plugged into the Parallel port.

In the simple interface design document, it sounds like that should not be happing. Am I correct in assuming that if there is nothing plugged into the parallel port I should get a different error then "No Response"?

Thanks,
Wes
resago2001

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parallel cable won't work with 2000 or XP, you need a win9x box.

I guess the IR program is trying direct access. 2000 and XP don't allow that.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resago2001 wrote:
parallel cable won't work with 2000 or XP, you need a win9x box.

The Simple interface WILL work on 2K and XP...

Quote:
I guess the IR program is trying direct access.

It is...

Quote:
2000 and XP don't allow that.

They do, at least as far as IR is concerned, but you need administrator priveledges.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: