JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

User Manual for URC3660, 3661, 3680 and Insignia NS-RMT8D21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davecs

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: User Manual for URC3660, 3661, 3680 and Insignia NS-RMT8D21 Reply with quote

In the thread about testing the 2.15.x version of RMIR, I mentioned that it might be a good idea, to create a special document for this family of remotes, as it seems to acquire almost extender-like powers in conjunction with a JP1 lead and RMIR, particularly with the changes in the version under test.

I've started drafting one, I was going to ask Graham to take a look, but the news that he's in hospital with appendicitis has put a dampener on that. Would anyone like it if I put it up as a Google document, I can share the link with anyone who asks, and share editing rights with anyone with a Google account.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better idea might be to create it as a wiki document, then others can add to it over time.
davecs

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
A better idea might be to create it as a wiki document, then others can add to it over time.

You're right of course. But I wanted it given some editing before it becomes public. You gave me a password and a page a few years back for the "USB remotes in Linux" page, and that's still the method I use. But I can't remember those details. I don't mind putting it in the wiki, and it can be edited/corrected from there. Do you want to set me up to do it? PM me if so.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had the wiki page send you a new password. The beauty of Wiki pages is that you can develop them as a collaborative effort, so I would suggest that you start creating the manual there, and share the link here so others can advise or contribute. We'll only add the link on the main page when it's ready.
davecs

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I just had the wiki page send you a new password. The beauty of Wiki pages is that you can develop them as a collaborative effort, so I would suggest that you start creating the manual there, and share the link here so others can advise or contribute. We'll only add the link on the main page when it's ready.

OK, here is the link:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/The_3660_family
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a great start Dave, thanks. I added some links to the websites for each of the remotes. If anyone else wants to contribute to this user manual, but you don't currently have an id for our Wiki page, let me know and I'll add you.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject: User Manual for URC3660, 3661, 3680 and Insignia NS-RMT8D21 Reply with quote

On the Wiki page The link for the Walmart onn 3660 is incorrect. The link is for a Non-JP1 remote i am not even sure if there is any current links for the Walmart one
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: User Manual for URC3660, 3661, 3680 and Insignia NS-RMT8 Reply with quote

HamburgerHelper1 wrote:
On the Wiki page The link for the Walmart onn 3660 is incorrect. The link is for a Non-JP1 remote i am not even sure if there is any current links for the Walmart one

This:

onn. R113663 6-Device Universal Remote https://www.walmart.com/ip/747238608
davecs

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The Insignia link was to the wrong model, the one with 5 buttons. Both corrected. By the way I just noticed while I was looking for links that the 3660 is also sold under the One For All brand in Canada.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@HamburgerHelper1, would you like access to update the wiki ?
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:46 am    Post subject: User Manual for URC3660, 3661, 3680 and Insignia NS-RMT8D21 Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
@HamburgerHelper1, would you like access to update the wiki ?

I suppose I could have access to the wiki
With limited time and not knowing what I'm doing with wiki I probably wont be able to contribute much.
davecs

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@TheRobman

Can we add the page to the index now?

I can think that someone might want to add something about 9xx commands and the factory reset. There was also the stuff about hiding settings in part of the memory for recall later. But I think there's enough there to make a valid wiki page. The only problem I can think of is that 2.15.x isn't "stable" yet, and the Activity key stuff needs a hack with 2.14.18. We'd have to make it clear that 2.15.x is still being tested but is known to work OK with this particular remote.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done. And I added links to the original user manuals for each remote to the article.
davecs

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote the Wiki page as a direct comparison with the official manuals for these remotes. You know what I forgot because the 3661 manual didn't mention it? Macros! Not Multi-Macros, not Timed Macros, but plain ordinary ones, global or device-specific. I've added a section now!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davecs wrote:
I wrote the Wiki page as a direct comparison with the official manuals for these remotes.

Yeah, I got that from reading it and I figured that, as you hadn't repeated what was already in the official manuals, it was probably a good idea to link to them, for the folks that don't have the original manual.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: