JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Remote URC-3660
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: New Remote URC-3660 Reply with quote

I have been able to get similar results by experimenting with Segment E9 but it need's a lot more investigating.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:11 am    Post subject: New Remote URC-3660 Reply with quote

Actually using E9 might make integrating it into RMIR a little bit easier
jmezz13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: New Remote URC-3660 Reply with quote

So here's probably a dumb question. What would happen if you removed segment types CD, CE, and CF from the RDF to try and remove the Activity function on the three buttons?

HamburgerHelper1 wrote:
I have been able to get similar results by experimenting with Segment E9 but it need's a lot more investigating.

Another question showing my ignorance. Segment E9 isn't in the remote by default, are you adding it somehow?
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:55 am    Post subject: New Remote URC-3660 Reply with quote

Removing segment types CD, CE, and CF from the RDF will not remove the activity function from the remote it is in the remote itself
My method is as far as i am concerned is a crude way of making the remote do what i want.
My experiments seem to show Segment E9 interacts with segments CD, CE, and CF
and E9 seems to over ride CD, CE, and CF
I believe Segment E9 is supported by the remote as my experiments have shown
and that it just was not implemented but i have been able to do so.
As far as how i did it is basically the same method i used for CD, CE, and CF
I do not believe i am adding it to the remote as it is that i am having the remote show it to me.
For the time being I need more input from the experts before having others experiment with this idea because of the possibility of bricking the remote, a risk i am willing to take, but i don't want others to risk it
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think you can brick the remote by uploading a bad setup to the E2 area. The most that can happen is either a factory reset if the remote recognizes a bad setup, or it locking up by going into an infinite loop. In either case you can recover by uploading a valid setup. I can't remember which remotes it concerns, but I have found remotes in which you need to take the batteries out, connect it to the PC then put the batteries back in, in order to get it to enter communication mode from an infinite loop.

As for the E9 segment, here is my understanding of it, after the length and type bytes:

Code:
byte segmentFlags          // Normally 0xFF.
byte deviceButtonNumber    // Always 0x00.
byte boundButton           // Always 0x00.
byte unknown               // a flag byte indexed by device index (0-7), but only 0x00 seen
byte activityFlags         // bit n set to 1 for n = 0 to (numberOfActivities - 1), e.g. 0x1F for 5 activities
byte[numberOfActivities]   // (activityDigit - 1) for each set activity, 0x0F if activity is unset
byte padding               // 0x00 if required

This comes from my study of the URC7980, so it is possible that it is different in the URC3660 but I don't think so. I have never experimented with changing this manually, but perhaps setting the activityFlags byte to 00 will tell the remote that there are no activities. Is that what you have found? Or perhaps something to do with the byte I have marked "unknown"?
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:20 am    Post subject: New Remote URC-3660 Reply with quote

I did not believe a bad setup would cause damage to the remote
but I did not want others to risk it just in case it did.
So far I have not had any progress with setting No activities with E9
but I have to repeat some tests
E9 may not be the answer to this activities puzzle after all
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:52 am    Post subject: New Remote URC-3660 Reply with quote

Graham
Can you try to duplicate this
It might be hard to follow me but I'll try
Segment E9 needs to be present for this to work even though I changed nothing in it and I tested this procedure without it too
With E9 present the activities Tab changes the values in E9 but has no effect on the activities
Now back to segments CD CE CF I found the original activities settings without E9 When set to "0" would defaults to "1"
but if I manually change this byte to "0" it then disables the activity, so we can use the button for other purposes
Without E9 present and manually changing it to zero, upload worked fine but cant Re-download RMIR error
and i had to upload a backup file to bring the remote back

Hope this makes sense
Randy
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: New Remote URC-3660 Reply with quote

More testing and unfortunately activity keys seem to be completely disabled this way so back to the drawing board
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: New Remote URC-3660 Reply with quote

Well i have no progress so it looks like my original procedure might be the way to go
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unrelated to activities But testing showed this support for this remote

To perform a MFR Reset:
Remove all power from the remote (press a button after to discharge the capacitor),
Reapply power, wait for 2 flashes,
Press 2 + 8 simultaneously within 6 seconds, 2 flashes,
Type 9 8 1, wait for 4 flashes.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:30 am    Post subject: New Remote URC-3660 Reply with quote

Instead of deleting the segment I filled the data with FF FF FF FF
Now the activity is disabled and a macro works but using it to switch to another device as the last step in the macro will not work. The macro ends with the activity button as the last blink of led where as if i delete the segment then it will switch to the device as the last step in my macro
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:52 am    Post subject: New Remote URC-3660 Reply with quote

HA
Someone stop me before I loose my mind
This is insane instead of deleting segment CD or changing it's data
I changed it's type Yes I changed it to type 13
It does not activate/deactivate the backlight like the original 13
it behaves like a normal button as far as i can tell
and a macro of tv, 2.0, then dvd did leave the remote at device "dvd"
and the activity is disabled because it is no longer type CD
This idea may not work for this but it is interesting info for future endeavors
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: New Remote URC-3660 Reply with quote

actually changing its type may just be changing its address so its the same as deleting it
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the info on doing a factory reset for the 3660. I tried to find a way myself but failed, so that is very useful. As for changing the type of a segment, segments are accessed by their type. Their address in the remote is irrelevant. If you change the type from CD to 13 then the remote won't find a CD segment, so it is the same as deleting it, but it would be better to change the type to something completely unused. I am not aware of any remote having a segment with first digit between 4 and B. Segments with types not used by a remote are completely ignored.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Many thanks for the info on doing a factory reset for the 3660. I tried to find a way myself but failed, so that is very useful.

There is info on how to do factory resets on many different remotes, including this one, here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/Master_Reset_Instructions
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 14 of 18

Jump to: