JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Inset thingy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Inset thingy Reply with quote

I bought my Firestick 4K to see if it could handle the Amazon and FreeVee content that my Roku has lip-sync issues with. Alas, it didn't do any better than the Roku. I recently needed my Firestick to get a certain app and when I plugged it in, I found that I had lost the remote. When the Firestick booted I got the big "No Remote Detected", and got no app icons on the home page. I tried using the app on my phone and although it was slow as molasses in Jan, the content of the icon less apps would play, I just needed to remember where I had set up the icons. I played with this, unplugging and replugging it in for 3 weeks, and then decided to buy that little Inset Gizzmo to see if that would at least give me a speedier way to pause my videos.

No sooner did inset arrive than my Original remote turned up. I unplugged and replugged in the Firestick and all the icons returned like magic.

I really hate the FireStick and usually just use it for streaming demos, to show how bad it performs in comparison with an equivalent Roku Stick.

So before I open the inset thingy, I was wondering if this could be used with a ROKU stick? I really didn't understand what it was doing other than it seems you are using XBox codes on a JP1 remote to handle the simple controls on a Firestick, but am clueless otherwise?

Thanks for any help

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to see you back here Vicky but unfortunately I know nothing about the issues that you're having.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is an "inset thingy"?
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the Inteset IReTV y-adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=inteset+iretv+usb+ir+receiver

Let's you control a Fire stick or Onn Android tv streamer via IR, using the xbox 360 code.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fire Stick supports a connected USB keyboard as a way to control it. The IReTV receives xbox IR commands and translates them into keystrokes and emulates a USB keyboard at the USB connection to the Fire Stick.

So, this would only work IF the Roku also allows you to connect a USB keyboard AND uses the same keystrokes for the same functions. I don't know if it does, but I doubt it.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it works perfectly on mine Fire stick 4k max, for cursor, transport, and menu. It doesn't have the discrete channel keys that firestick remote has.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one as well, but no Roku stick to try it on. So I guess there's only one way to find out. Just keep in mind that a regular Roku (not a stick) does IR natively and costs about the same as the Inteset thingy.

Let us know how it goes.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the explanations. It was just what I needed. I am returning the ir receiver, since I bought it to deal with a lost remote for the FireStick and now know that it has that horrible flaw where it will not display the icons if the remote is not found.

ANOTHER QUESTION.

All my notes say is that for the Nevo I need to create learns for the volume keys in order to get them to repeat when held.

I did not document what software I need to use to use to create learns. I have been hunting , and for the life of me can't remember which software does that. I probably am looking right at it and not seeing it.

Vicky

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, my Nevo vol keys repeat normally. So could just be a matter of finding the right protocol?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Volume keys only repeat when I am in TV mode. When I switch from Cable to Roku, I need to hit the volume key 18 times to get the volume right level.

So I changed the master volume to TV, and now the stereo can't change volume more than 1 click at a time. Again 12 clicks to change the volume to match the source.

Last edited by vickyg2003 on Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
My Volume keys only repeat when I am in TV mode. When I switch from Cable to Roku, I need to hit the volume key 18 times to get the volume right level.

I think we'd need to see your RMIR file to diagnose that.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the tv a Samsung brand? Which have for many years given universal and oem remotes fits because of non-repeating volume. Reason Samsung switched protocols 20 years ago, result non-repeating volume. Reprogram the Roku remote, skip the first positive result and see if later codes have the proper protocol.

Roku switched language in the programming of the tv volume, it no longer asks if the music stopped, in which case you would hit NO for negative result. Now it asks if the music is still playing, and so you have to choose YES to get it to try another code.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again this is something from my notes. If you do the volume to another device it never sends a repeat. Just one signal, no dittos, no repeats.

I now have the repeats, for the TV by switching the master volume to be the TV, now the stereo won't repeat on the volume keys. Just one signal, no repeats.

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you set the vol device with an activity?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up doing the learns via irscope and then pasting them into RMIR, solved my volume problem, now I can get both volumes, Receiver and TV with repeats in all modes.

Once I did that I remembered the way I used to do it was with MakeProntoHex and then drop that in as a learn. This method required a good knowledge of IRP but could be done without a remote or an IR Widget.

I need both volumes to be available on ALL devices or activities, and when using what amounts to a keymove on they don't repeat on the Nevo, but they do if they are learns.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: