JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to connect the cable to the remote

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mjh-NM

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: How to connect the cable to the remote Reply with quote

I have scanned most of the JP1 beginner documents and even searched this forum but I can't seem to find this information. I am getting a DIYmall cable to connect to an Inteset remote.

Question 1: This cable has six completely separate leads with separate colors. It seems clear I need to know which color goes on which of the six pins of this remote? Most beginner information in the JP1 forum simply says "connect the cable". I did find a short thread about which color on which pin on the DVR+ forum. But that thread describes a different cable connecting to a different remote. And posts in that thread implied that what color goes on which pin can differ for both the cable and the remote!! So could some kind person please direct this beginner to the information about how to connect this specific cable to this specific remote?
----------- edited update to this question ---------
For others who may read this, I am discovering this is not a stupid question!

From the Beginner's sticky post "What cable to buy" post I did find a reference to a post about the specific "chip Partner FTDI cable". A later reply in that post was how to place the wires of a specific cable into a 6-pin connector, showing a what-color-to-what-pin chart. In turn that reply linked to a specific reply in the "JP1 Hardware" forum in the 6th page of the lengthy post about how to "Build a JP1.x/JP2 cable" which specifies the JP1.3 pinout by color. But an earlier reply in that post suggests the colors have changed from "old" to "new". Further a later reply states: "There appear to be multiple cables out there, apparently not all have wires colored the same."

Finally, a later reply in that thread seems to resolve the confusion and appears to be the most clear answer:
Quote:
Please don't use the color of the wires as guide to how to hook up the cable, because the colors aren't standardized in any way. Also, the numbers nejpski gave are wire numbers which are unrelated to the JP1 6 pin connector pin numbers. Instead use the following list and information from your [cable?] vendor to find the correct colors or signal names for your particular interface:
Since the Amazon ad identifies the signal name of each cable lead's color this "should" identify the pin to which it should be connected. Right?

(But the other two questions still remain.)
-------- end of update ----------

Question 2: Several posts I have read discuss whether to leave the remote's batteries in or take them out when connecting and/or disconnecting the cable. Is this an issue? And if they should be out, do the batteries need to be put back in when doing an RM upload or download? Please be kind if this is obvious, but I do not want to make a dumb beginner mistake and "brick" the remote.

Question 3: At least one post suggested there was a best "order" in one-by-one connecting and disconnecting the six leads. Is this true? And if so what is the recommended order for each?

Thanks in advance for your guidance,

Michael[/quote]
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Match the descriptions in this post with those on the Amazon page:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=120954#120954

2. Leave the batteries in

3. Plug in the pins in any order with the USB unplugged, then plug in the USB after the pins are connected

Once you prove out the proper connections, glue them together to make it easier next time.
Mjh-NM

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. That confirms what I hoped was correct.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: