JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-7935 Needing help with creating device upgrade

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjsone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: URC-7935 Needing help with creating device upgrade Reply with quote

Hello everyone

I am trying to configure my new URC7935 with RMIR. The devices i want to use are my TV (Samsung QN90A) and Apple TV 4K. The minimal target configuration would be to use UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT/HOME/BACK etc. for my TV and PLAY&PAUSE/FF/REV/OPTION for my Apple TV.

Due to the nature of the remote (Algorithm-based activity functions) i set up the remote for my TV and Apple TV via the internal simple setup procedure. Then i learned the UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT/HOME/BACK Buttons from my TV remote (these are normally for the streamer). Until this point everything works as it should. But i also want the Home/TV Button of the Apple TV on the remote which is already uploaded here. Interestingly the same Hex-Code is already used by the simple-setup but does not work as it should.

Therefor i created a custom device upgrade (based on the upgrade by Bob Shults) and added the REV/Play&Pause/FF buttons. With this upgrade the Home/TV button does work but the other three buttons do not.

Its like they are mutually exclusive. I also tried to use it like an external-function but i just cant get it to work.

Here is the "Home/TV Button working but REV/PlayPause/FF Buttons not working" Version

Here is the base configuration created with the simple-setup mechanism provided by the remote

Could somebody help me or explain why it does not work ?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple answer to why the transport buttons do not work is that they send the wrong signals. You have used Bob Shults's "next track" for FF, his "prev track" for Rewind, and I do not know where you have got your Play/Pause signal from. The NEC1-f16x protocol of his signals is more general than the Apple protocol, so it can send Apple signals and also non-Apple ones. The Device and Subdevice parameters are the same for both protocols but the other parameters are different. The Apple signals that work for you have D=238 S=135, his have D=229 S=135 so there is no way you can get his protocol to send your transport signals.

I do not understand your learned signals, which you say do work. The Learned Signals tab cannot decode them, neither can IRScope when I load your setup into my URC7935 and try to read the signals.

If I understand correctly, you only need one signal from Bob Shults, his Home/TV signal which you put on your Options button. Everything else works OK for you on your base configuration. It seems to me that the simplest thing to do is to use your base configuration and put his Home/TV signal as a learned signal on the Options button. You may not be able to do that, so I have done so and posted it here. I have tested that it sends the same signal as Bob's upgrade. Try it and let me know if it works.
sjsone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you soo much! It works!
Yes, the upgrade does exactly what i wanted.

The Play/Pause Signal i am using is the one provided for the Apple-TV via the setup of the remote ("hold these two buttons and then press the correct button for your streaming device" etc.).

So the goto-method of adding another completely different signal is via the Learned Signals instead of the External Functions (at least for this remote because of the tv/streamer/audio restriction)?

The non-decodable signals are from the Samsung TM2180E (SolarCell Smart-Remote). The remote is garbage (that's why i am here).
Would it be helpful to provide more captures from it? If so, is there a better way to capture the signal? Maybe with an MCU and IR-Sensor ?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjsone wrote:
So the goto-method of adding another completely different signal is via the Learned Signals instead of the External Functions (at least for this remote because of the tv/streamer/audio restriction)?

External Functions are Key Moves that are specified in an upgrade rather than in the setup of the remote itself. The URC7935 does not support Key Moves, so External Functions will not work. Unfortunately RMIR did not show a warning about this. I have now updated RMIR for the next release so that it displays a warning on the Devices tab for remotes that do not support Key Moves to explain that External Functions in upgrades will not work.

You are right, the only way to achieve the same thing on your remote is with Learned Signals. You don't actually need to learn the signal as RMIR can be used to create a learned signal from a function in a Device Upgrade, which is what I did for you. However, it takes several steps and the method is not obvious. I can explain how to do it if you like, but if you just have a few signals that you would like converted, I am happy to do it for you.

Quote:
The non-decodable signals are from the Samsung TM2180E (SolarCell Smart-Remote). The remote is garbage (that's why i am here).
Would it be helpful to provide more captures from it? If so, is there a better way to capture the signal? Maybe with an MCU and IR-Sensor ?

Are these the extra signals that you would like? Do you know of any upgrade that sends them? If you are actually learning them, you need signals that show a decode on the Learned Signals tab. You may need to try several times to get them to work. I don't know what you mean by an MCU and IR-Sensor. The alternatives we use are an IR Widget with IRScope or IRScrutinizer with any of the IR receivers that it supports. They are better than learning, but you probably don't have any of the IR receivers so may need just to persist with learning.
StephenR0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
You are right, the only way to achieve the same thing on your remote is with Learned Signals. You don't actually need to learn the signal as RMIR can be used to create a learned signal from a function in a Device Upgrade, which is what I did for you. However, it takes several steps and the method is not obvious. I can explain how to do it if you like, but if you just have a few signals that you would like converted, I am happy to do it for you.

Actually, I would like to know the steps to do this. I have a couple of these remotes. When I needed to learn a signal that I didn't have in a remote, I used Barf's Arduino Nano to send the signal with IrScrutinizer. But it would be nice to have an alternative.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenR0 wrote:
Actually, I would like to know the steps to do this.

You need the current release RMIR v2.13.2, or later (which at present are only development builds). First I will suppose that you are starting from a .rmdu upgrade file and want to import one of its signals as a Learned Signal. Open RMDU (rather than RMIR) and load the .rmdu file. Then open the File menu and select "Export as Girr or IrScope file". Save as Girr, which is the default type then open the .girr file with Notepad or any text editor. You will see that each signal is shown in two forms, raw timings and ccf. The ccf text, between the delimiters <ccf> and </ccf>, is the Pronto hex of the signal. Copy this for the signal you want.

Then open RMIR for the setup you want to import into. Go to the Learned Signals tab and click New. Paste the Pronto code into the Signal Data window and click Apply. The Decode window should now show the signal details. In the Bound Key box select the device and key to put the signal on and click OK. Done.

You can do the same if you are starting with a .rmir setup file rather than a .rmdu upgrade one. Load that into RMIR, go to the Devices tab, select the upgrade containing the signal and press Edit. Now click the Export button on the upgrade editor panel to export the upgrade as Girr, then continue as before.

Girr is the native file format of IrScrutinizer. You can use its File > Import menu to import the .girr file into IrScrutinizer if you wish. You can also import a Girr file into RMDU just by selecting it with File > Open, which will import it as a device upgrade.
StephenR0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. That sounds pretty understandable. Smile I'll work with it.

Edit: That worked perfectly. Thank you very much.
sjsone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation.

mathdon wrote:
Are these the extra signals that you would like?

No, the extra signals are the HDMI1-4 mapped to the Amazon-, Netflix-, etc. Buttons and the Apple TV Volume mapped to the Channel +- buttons. But i did not really looked into these. There is some kind of HDMI-Selection built into the remote but it did not work (can be mapped to the source-button iirc). Unfortunately i cannot learn these from the original remote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: