JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

looking for a new JP1 capable remote and cant see many
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you making learning ability a requirement? If you're using JP1, learning should just be a tool for capturing codes to build upgrades, and if you still have an RS 15-1994, you can use it to capture new devices.
sydyen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Why are you making learning ability a requirement? If you're using JP1, learning should just be a tool for capturing codes to build upgrades, and if you still have an RS 15-1994, you can use it to capture new devices.

The 15-1994s are JP1, and don't want to switch to the OCAP, buy a new device, and discover that the DIY adapter is not working and NLA. Single source is not a reliable contingency.

If there are no recent learning remotes for JP1 then the other course is to buy a JP1.x learning remote to eliminate reliance on the DIY adapter, but having an actively used remote with learning is the most convenient route.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused by your reply. It sounds like when you use the term "JP1" you are specifically referring to the old EEPROM remotes, is that correct? If so, there hasn't been a new JP1 remote in decades (not years, decades, seriously).

Any new JP1 remote is going to be in one of the various JP1.x formats (or even JP2).

My point was just that you don't need the new remote to have the learning feature as you already have a JP1 remote with learning, and for JP1 users the only purpose of having learning is to capture new devices, and you can use your 15-1994 to do that.

If I'm still not understanding what you're trying to do (and I don't even remember what OCAP means), then please explain more clearly.

Last edited by The Robman on Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Inteset 422 has 53 buttons and learning and is JP1.x.

OCAP is the old family of Atlas model cable remote, most of which have the circular bulge in the middle.

Listen to Rob about JP1 EEPROM remotes. Getting a recent one of those is like asking to buy a brand new VCR or tube TV.
sydyen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...you can use your 15-1994 to do that

For how long?

The weak link of the 15-1994 is that JP1 requires an adapter that is only sold by DIY so it is single source and not knowing the financials, those adapters could become NLA (No Longer Available) at any time. For the same money as an adapter, I could buy a JP1.x remote with learning to replace the 15-1994 as a learning remote. My druthers is a 1.x remote with enough buttons and learning to replace the 15-1994

Quote:
It sounds like when you use the term "JP1" you are specifically referring to the old EEPROM remotes, is that correct?

No. I used it to mean both a specific and as a generic based on context (very poor communication skills).

Quote:
The 15-1994s are JP1...
was specific
Quote:
If there are no recent learning remotes for JP1...
was generic

What I should have written is "If there are no recent learning remotes for JP1.x then..."

I have no idea what OCAP means either but it is a UEI remote used widely by cable companies, and listed in http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=RemoteChart as an Atlas 1056B01 which is JP1.3 and has a learning model as 1056L. I have yet to see a 1056L turn up on ebay, the 1056B01 and 1056B03 are readily available.

Quote:
The Inteset 422 has 53 buttons and learning and is JP1.x.

mdavej has found my holy grail. The 422-3 at https://www.amazon.com/Inteset-Universal-Backlit-Learning-Devices/dp/B00M4JYTWA/ is supported by RMIR and https://universalremotes.net/inteset-universal-remote-control-device-code-lookup.html provides the code sets for quick configuration.

Thank you.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that you already have a cable that you can use to program your 15-1994 (you have been registered since 2008, so that's a reasonable assumption). So, if you do have a cable that works with it, what does it matter whether anyone still sells a cable or adapter to work it? And if your current cable were to break, you could use an Arduino to make a new one.
sydyen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... you already have a cable that you can use to program your 15-1994

I have a Prolific, but neither that nor the Arduino gives me JP1 readability. The cable is a non-issue, both require the DIY Adapter to program JP1 remotes.

The Adapter is sole source, if one of the components becomes unavailable, or DIY disappears, then no more adapters.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sydyen wrote:
I have a Prolific, but neither that nor the Arduino gives me JP1 readability.

Why do you say that the Arduino does not give you JP1 readability? You must be misunderstanding something as it most certainly does do so.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sydyen wrote:
Quote:
... you already have a cable that you can use to program your 15-1994

I have a Prolific, but neither that nor the Arduino gives me JP1 readability. The cable is a non-issue, both require the DIY Adapter to program JP1 remotes.

The Adapter is sole source, if one of the components becomes unavailable, or DIY disappears, then no more adapters.
I think DIY has already disappeared.

The Arduino solution does not require the DIY adapter, rather takes the place of it.
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sydyen wrote:
The cable is a non-issue, both require the DIY Adapter to program JP1 remotes.

In case it helps, please read my post about the JP1 EEPROM adapter design availability in another thread.
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very curious about this thread, so even though I'm no expert, I had a couple questions for @sydyen I thought I'd throw out in case they're helpful:

It sounds like you have a working"JP1" cable to communicate with the 15-1994. Is that right? If so, is it a USB cable with a "JP1" adapter or is it the "original" parallel port design? If you have one or the other, then why are you seeking to replace the 15-1994? Stated differently, if you have a working JP1 cable and a working 15-1994, what problem are you trying to solve?

If you do not have a working cable, then I assume you're looking for a cable to communicate with the 15-1994. If that's the case, then as the experts have said, the Arduino solution will work for you.

In either case, I don't know why you want to replace what seems to be a perfectly good and functional 15-1994.
sydyen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Composite responses here...

Quote:
Why do you say that the Arduino does not give you JP1 readability? You must be misunderstanding something as it most certainly does do so.

I am going by http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360 which shows you how to wire a USB/Arduino cable and says "If you need to make it work with older EEPROM based JP1 remotes, you'll need a DIY Gadget JP1 EEPROM programming adapter."

After following WagonMaster's suggestion I wound up at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17185 which says:

Quote:
The best solutions as of 2021 are:

- Make an adapter using an Arduino:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=102890

Far beyond my skill set, the description at https://forum.arduino.cc/t/programming-the-original-jp1-remote-controls-with-arduino/94664 leaves me reeling, it reads like a foreign language.

Quote:
- Buy a complete JP1 EEPROM USB interface from TxSat (Tommy Tyler design):
http://txsat.net/JP1_EEPROM.html

The txsat JP1 cable costs $54 delivered, which is twice the cost of a new remote. That might be justifiable if I was committed to keeping my 15-1994s operational at any price, but that is not the case.

Quote:
...why are you seeking to replace the 15-1994?

I am looking for a modern equivalent which I can be assured of always being able to program. As of today I have a USB JP1.x cable and a working DIY adapter (replacement for one which failed a few years ago). At some point in time I anticipate the DIY adapter failing again.

Quote:
...I don't know why you want to replace what seems to be a perfectly good and functional 15-1994.

I do not WANT to, the innards of my 15-1994s have already been replaced with the ButtonWorx Button Repair Kit, so the remotes are fine for the foreseeable future. My concern is being unable to continue programming them in the future. A sense of urgency came on me when descriptions of the latest UEI remotes at https://www.uei.com/remote-control-solutions-standard made no mention of Learning capability.

Rather than scramble around looking for an alternative when the DIY adapter fails, I would rather have a hot standby JP1.x remote.
ckeays

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sydyen wrote:

I am looking for a modern equivalent which I can be assured of always being able to program. As of today I have a USB JP1.x cable and a working DIY adapter (replacement for one which failed a few years ago). At some point in time I anticipate the DIY adapter failing again.

I just bought one of these then my MOTHER IN LAW stepped on it. So I had to buy another one!
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/224585374677
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sydyen wrote:
Quote:

I am going by http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360 which shows you how to wire a USB/Arduino cable and says "If you need to make it work with older EEPROM based JP1 remotes, you'll need a DIY Gadget JP1 EEPROM programming adapter."

No, it says that you will need that adapter in order to use a JP1.x cable with a JP1 EEPROM remote. Have you seen the thread Best options to program JP1 remotes with USB in 2021!. My post in it gives explicit instructions for using an Arduino Nano, without the need for a JP1.x cable, as a complete interface to JP1 EEPROM remotes. Alternatively, download the development version RMIR v2.13.7 from the RMIR Development folder. This has a subfolder JP1EEPROMSupport in its installation folder that gives the instructions in even more detail and also includes the Arduino sketch (= program) that is needed. No soldering or other equipment required, just the Arduino Nano and some connecting leads.
OzyOzy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
sydyen wrote:
Quote:

No, it says that you will need that adapter in order to use a JP1.x cable with a JP1 EEPROM remote. Have you seen the thread Best options to program JP1 remotes with USB in 2021!. My post in it gives explicit instructions for using an Arduino Nano, without the need for a JP1.x cable, as a complete interface to JP1 EEPROM remotes. Alternatively, download the development version RMIR v2.13.7 from the RMIR Development folder. This has a subfolder JP1EEPROMSupport in its installation folder that gives the instructions in even more detail and also includes the Arduino sketch (= program) that is needed. No soldering or other equipment required, just the Arduino Nano and some connecting leads.

I have no idea where to post this, but it's here just for FYI and in case anyyone else sees this. Yesterday, I actually had success with an Arduino Leonardo as well. The sketch remaining the same, and the only difference beeing the SDA/SCL lines (which go to digital pins 2/3 respectively); thanks to this url for the help https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/language/functions/communication/wire/, I was able to read from my 20 year old JP1 remote RCA RCU810-A, into RMIR, and then copy the data over to a new upgrade for a UEI remote that for the life of me could not / would not work on a newer RCA TV (RTUC6520). Anyways, things worked wonderfully, and I ended up posting the rmi file on the forum: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26800

Truth be told, though I had the Arduino laying around, and it was exhilarating to get things to work, not everyone does, and I'd honestly rather have a JP1.x remote that I don't have to fiddle around with an Arduino on. At one point, I almost lost my learning remote, since the EEPROM was throwing me a bad E2 error. Luckily I had a bunch of files that I had downloaded from it in the learning process, and simply loaded one of those back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: