JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Customizing PC control with Inteset IR dongle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDE12

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Customizing PC control with Inteset IR dongle Reply with quote

l have connected an Inteset IR dongle to a PC and it shows up in Win10 Device Manager as hid-compliant consumer control device and hid Keyboard Device. I uploaded http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14728] to a Titan 2056. The mouse control and letters A, B,C, D do not work (I didn't test anything else). Will this IR receiver work with this upgrade? If so, is there a registry tweak that I need or...?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not. That dongle won’t give you mouse and QWERTY. Should have gotten a Microsoft or HP one to use the upgrade you linked.
DDE12

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this IR dongle not going to have "customization" on a PC in general? I also received a FLIRC for Christmas that I have not yet experimented with. I can use the Inteset with one of my Firesticks. I have another such setup that works well.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it isn’t customizable. FLIRC is, but I don’t think it will do full QWERTY or mouse either. You need the really old dongle designed to work with a Microsoft IR keyboard.
DDE12

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for helping me out with this so I didn't waste any time on the Inteset dongle. I'll see what the FLIRC can do and report back if it can do any mouse movement. I don't need full QWERTY but might need some CTRL or SHIFT + key to accomplish what I'm trying to do. I'll look into the ehome IR stuff on Ebay.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I had a home theater PC, I just got a Logitech wireless keyboard with touchpad. Worked great. There are also really compact ones that have touchpads as well.

There are also keyboard/mouse control apps for your phone that work really well with no IR dongle required at all.

Early on I used an Ortek VRC-1100 which had mouse controls which we also have an upgrade for in the file section. You're welcome to the remote and/or dongle for the cost of shipping if you want to try it out. I have several that I haven't used for years.
DDE12

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a small keyboard w/ touchpad that works well for general PC use. I used to have an IO Gear mini keyboard with track ball that I loved but I think the USB receiver died and it doesn't work anymore. I have a android soft remote that I use in the bedroom. I recently tried out many of them looking for one with jog dial function but could not find one.
I have a couple of "entertainment routines" where my JP1 remote having some mouse and keyboard capabilities would simplify my life and I wouldn't have to pick up/get out/turn on another device. You know how it is, that's why we're all on this forum, right? Very Happy
I might be interested in the Ortek. I looked at the UEI official upgrade that you posted and one that Vicky posted. Neither had alpha codes (hers just had mouse movement codes). Is it possible to add alpha (QWERTY) and CRTL/SHIFT codes to the Ortek upgrade like in the MCE from my first post? Ultimately I'll need some keyboard function to get playback control of VLC, specifically the various skip forwards and skip backs as well as frame by frame.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ortek has no QWERTY.
DDE12

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get the Flirc to control the mouse with Windows native Mouse Keys and accomplish what I wanted. I uploaded an upgrade (rmdu), Flirc config, and some support information here. The FLIRC now can learn macros and long keypresses, so one could probably do most keyboard function through a JP1. Not ideal for extensive keyboard needs, but could be useful for some quick, specific cases.

Thank you again for the advice and the offer for the Ortek.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: