JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Extended Macros in the URCs 7980, 7880 and 7955
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StephenR0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, I'm starting to explore controlled macros. When I'm in the controlled macro editor, I see that there's no option to specify a shifted button as a macro item. Is that an intentional restriction? If so, I'll have to rearrange things to work around that. Thanks.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my absence from these discussions, but I have been in hospital and only just been discharged. I will look at the controlled macro issues as soon as I can. The limitations you describe are not intentional, so I should be able to do something about it. An earlier issue of RMIR allowing things that do not work is something users have to put up with. We do not know exactly what the capabilities of every remote are, especially as remotes (like these) have undocumented features that do work. So the design principle is that it is better to allow things that don't work than to forbid things that do work. The controlled macro issues are ones of RMIR currently forbidding things that MAY work, so I will try to fix that.
StephenR0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's certainly no emergency here. Please, take all the time that you need and put your health first. I hope you're doing better!
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, Graham. Take care of yourself!
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now posted RMIR v2.13.3 in the RMIR Development folder for you to test. This version allows shifted buttons to be included in controlled macros, and allows them to be bound to activities, though not to device buttons as that is not supported by the remotes that support these macros. I took the opportunity also to prevent ordinary macros being bound to device buttons, as we know those don't work.

The first omission arose as the code was developed from that of the macros supported by the XSight Lite/Plus and those remotes do not support shifted buttons. The inability to bind them to activities was simply a bug caused by an oversight of mine.

I think these were the main defects you were finding in the controlled macro implementation. Please let me know if these now work, and if there is any other behaviour that you consider to be a defect.
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the new version, Graham.

I've started to build an RMIR file to use the remote for my setup and I must say I'm struggling a bit. I've put controlled global macros on buttons to navigate to my RPi and BluRay devices and to move among Roku applications. I've managed to configure activities in such a way as to facilitate using the long press on Power to turn components on and off. I have a "WatchTV" command as the last command in several of my macros to setup the key maps. I've included a copy of my RMIR file here

When I long press "Power" my TV and receiver come on correctly. Then if I press the orange button, the TV correctly navigates to fuboTV. All is well, so far.

Next, I try to navigate to YouTube by pressing the red button. The remote "hangs" for at least 10 seconds in among the AUD commands and never executes the command to switch to YouTube, although it does appear to switch to the TV device and then hangs. I suspect that my problem(s) lie with poor timings, so I thought I'd try "normal" macros to see if I could get them to work.

Before switching to normal macros, I decided to download the image from the remote to confirm that what was in the remote was what I intended to put there. However, when I tried to do that, I got the "error downloading from remote" message. So, I closed then re-opened RMIR and proceeded to collect the raw download file. That file is here

This is a first attempt at using controlled macros so there are probably lots of problems for me to fix. I can post rmaster.err files at some point but I think it's too early yet for that.

Thanks for any help.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, I'm sorry for these new problems. The hex code has been created correctly for the controlled macros on some of the buttons, including Orange, but not on others, including Red. At present I don't really understand why this has happened. Do you still have the .rmir file that you uploaded to create the setup of your raw download? That should enable me to trace what is happening. If not, can you tell me something about how you created the controlled macros, such as did you edit some of them, but not all, after first creating them? Did you clone one and then edit the clone? I ask these because it is possible that the initial creation is OK but that the editing process goes wrong, or that one went wrong for some reason and you cloned it, so inadvertently creating other ones that went wrong. Any further info you can give me would be very helpful.
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Ed, I'm sorry for these new problems. The hex code has been created correctly for the controlled macros on some of the buttons, including Orange, but not on others, including Red. At present I don't really understand why this has happened. Do you still have the .rmir file that you uploaded to create the setup of your raw download? That should enable me to trace what is happening. If not, can you tell me something about how you created the controlled macros, such as did you edit some of them, but not all, after first creating them? Did you clone one and then edit the clone? I ask these because it is possible that the initial creation is OK but that the editing process goes wrong, or that one went wrong for some reason and you cloned it, so inadvertently creating other ones that went wrong. Any further info you can give me would be very helpful.

No worries, Graham. Thanks for the help.

The rmir file that I referenced above should be the file that was uploaded to the remote right before I tried to do the download from it.

The first macro I created was the one bound to orange to go to fuboTV. That one works. I didn't clone any macros to create the rest of them; I created each one from "scratch". As near as I can tell, none of the other macros work.

Let me know if you need further information or if I've missed something.

One thing that might be worth noting is that I've tried using both the WCL and com3 bluetooth. Both fail to connect often, but once connected, uploads seem to work well. WCL, in particular frequently requires up to 20 "tries" to get a successful connection. Again, not sure that matters to this problem, and it's more of a nuisance than anything else.

Thanks again for the support.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
The rmir file that I referenced above should be the file that was uploaded to the remote right before I tried to do the download from it.

I have uploaded that rmir file into my 7880 and then done a raw download and the raw download is exactly as it should be, quite different from yours. So I do not really understand what is going on, but I have found some errors that I will fix. After some more testing I will post development build RMIR v2.13.4 which I hope will resolve the problems. I suggest that you do nothing further till I have posted that.

The main error is a misunderstanding of mine about the URC-7880. It is not as like the 7980 as I thought. The 7980 has three buttons labelled A, B, C where the 7880 has A, >, N. In physical appearance that is the only difference, and I took it to be simply a relabelling. However, a more thorough reading of the 7880 instruction leaflet has shown me that in the 7880 those three buttons support what I call real-time macros rather than controlled macros. These are very similar, but real-time macros cannot be created by RMIR, they need to be created on the remote as they record the duration of keypresses and the pauses between them while in controlled macros these durations are set as data. To create a real-time macro you do a long press of the button concerned (A, >, N) where you would use a long press of Magic in creating a normal macro, otherwise the process is similar. I suspect you already know and have used this, though it escaped my attention.

Real-time macros can be edited in RMIR but not created by it and the hex data in the remote has a different structure. RMIR v2.13.0 handled them correctly but v2.13.2 and v2.13.3 interpret the data as controlled macros, causing the problems you are experiencing. There are also a couple of other minor bugs with controlled macros that I have found and will fix at the same time.
Ed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Ed wrote:

I have uploaded that rmir file into my 7880 and then done a raw download and the raw download is exactly as it should be, quite different from yours. So I do not really understand what is going on, but I have found some errors that I will fix. After some more testing I will post development build RMIR v2.13.4 which I hope will resolve the problems. I suggest that you do nothing further till I have posted that.

The main error is a misunderstanding of mine about the URC-7880. It is not as like the 7980 as I thought. The 7980 has three buttons labelled A, B, C where the 7880 has A, >, N. In physical appearance that is the only difference, and I took it to be simply a relabelling. However, a more thorough reading of the 7880 instruction leaflet has shown me that in the 7880 those three buttons support what I call real-time macros rather than controlled macros. These are very similar, but real-time macros cannot be created by RMIR, they need to be created on the remote as they record the duration of keypresses and the pauses between them while in controlled macros these durations are set as data. To create a real-time macro you do a long press of the button concerned (A, >, N) where you would use a long press of Magic in creating a normal macro, otherwise the process is similar. I suspect you already know and have used this, though it escaped my attention.

Real-time macros can be edited in RMIR but not created by it and the hex data in the remote has a different structure. RMIR v2.13.0 handled them correctly but v2.13.2 and v2.13.3 interpret the data as controlled macros, causing the problems you are experiencing. There are also a couple of other minor bugs with controlled macros that I have found and will fix at the same time.

Hi Graham,

I'll stand by and await a new release. Thanks for your help.

I must admit that I failed to understand completely your points about real-time macros and I also did not read the leaflet carefully about "app shortcut keys" (A, >, and N). The leaflet clearly says that you can't put macros on these keys. You'll see from my RMIR file that I did put controlled macros on each of them. I suspect that to use these keys in the way I want to, I'll need to remove the macros and proceed with adding real-time macros instead per the leaflet and then edit them in RMIR as needed.

My hypothesis is that, since the hex code (I don't know what this is) was not correct for the red key, when I pressed it to execute the macro I assigned to it I corrupted the remote's memory, leading to the "hanging" behavior and inabilty to download from it. I'm guessing that you did not press the red button after pressing orange upon uploading my rmir file and consequently you saw an uncorrupted raw download. I'm further guessing that if you do press the red button with my rmir image installed, you'll see the behavior I saw, together with the corrupted raw download. That's only my mostly-uneducated guess, though.

Regardless, I appreciate your help and will not do anything further until I hear back. Please don't rusn on my account, and stay healthy!
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
You'll see from my RMIR file that I did put controlled macros on each of them. I suspect that to use these keys in the way I want to, I'll need to remove the macros and proceed with adding real-time macros instead per the leaflet and then edit them in RMIR as needed.

Yes. Once I have posted v2.13.4, I think it best if you delete all the macros and reconstruct them in the new version. I am sorry for this, but controlled and real-time macros are pretty complicated things and it is not too surprising that I did not get it all right the first time round. The new version, by the way, will not allow you to put controlled macros on those three keys.

Quote:
I'm guessing that you did not press the red button after pressing orange upon uploading my rmir file and consequently you saw an uncorrupted raw download. I'm further guessing that if you do press the red button with my rmir image installed, you'll see the behavior I saw, together with the corrupted raw download.

I guessed that too, after getting an uncorrupted raw download so I did try it and the raw download remained uncorrupted. The corruption remains a mystery to me but is not worth bothering about unless it happens again in the new version.
StephenR0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used normal macros on the app shortcut keys (A, >, and N). I'm currently using DSMs on them without problems. Another data point.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now posted development build RMIR v2.13.4 in the RMIR Development folder on SourceForge. This fixes issues with controlled macros that were still present in v2.13.3, and also includes a revised RDF for URC-7880.

@Ed:
I have also posted, for you, a revision of the V0.3.rmir file of yours. In the end I felt that the best way to test the new RMIR was to make all the macros in your file work as intended. There are nine of them, including the one on WatchTV, and all of them now send what I believe to be your intended signals without crashing or locking up the remote. Of course, I can't tell if they work your equipment as intended, but please try this setup and ignore my earlier comment that you should delete all the macros and create them again from scratch. The macros on the A, > and N buttons are now real-time macros, the other six are controlled macros, but all are editable on the Macros tab of RMIR. As you mentioned, I see that you have WatchTV at the end of certain macros. Do be aware that this will switch to the WatchTV activity but will not run the macro on that activity button as the remote does not support macros within macros. There is nothing I can do about that.

BTW as StephenR0 has pointed out, you can create ordinary macros on the A, > and N buttons in RMIR, and I think you can also on the remote in the usual way. This build of RMIR will not allow you to create controlled macros on those buttons, though. Instead you need to use real-time macros created on the remote itself.

Please let me know if my fixed .rmir file works, and if any problems still remain.
Ed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Graham,

I downloaded both the new version, v2.13.4, and the RMIR file you fixed for me. Thanks very much for that.

I did not know I had a macro on WatchTV. When I open the RMIR file I posted above in v2.13.3, there is no macro on WatchTV. Indeed, I did have a macro on WatchTV in an earlier version of my work, but I decided to delete it in favor of putting macros on other keys as @eah123 suggested earlier in this thread. As appropriate, some of these macros would invoke WatchTV or WatchMovie, or Custom, to set up the key maps.

So, somehow, I created a macro on WatchTV awhile back, and, at some point, deleted it. RMIR v2.13.3 no longer shows it, but you saw it (and fixed it) in v2.13.4. I see it there now -- in the file I posted -- in v2.13.4 but not in v2.13.3. I'd like to just go ahead and delete it before I restart testing. This seems weird enough to me to report it before I restart testing.

Thanks again very much for your help.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
So, somehow, I created a macro on WatchTV awhile back, and, at some point, deleted it. RMIR v2.13.3 no longer shows it, but you saw it (and fixed it) in v2.13.4. I see it there now -- in the file I posted -- in v2.13.4 but not in v2.13.3. I'd like to just go ahead and delete it before I restart testing.

Please work now only with v2.13.4 and with the file I posted, not the one you posted, as v2.13.4 will corrupt the file you posted (and v2.13.3 will corrupt the file I posted). But with v2.13.4 and the file I posted, feel free to delete the macro on WatchTV and indeed make any other changes you wish. There was no way you could use v2.13.3 to delete your controlled macro on WatchTV as RMIR was not showing it anywhere. I haven't actually tested whether the 995 command will delete a controlled macro, my guess is that it won't do so, so you need v2.13.4 to do the deletion.

On your comment about the Bluetooth facility needing many attempts at connection, I am aware that this sometimes happens but I don't think I can do anything about it. The remote was not designed to connect with WCL or the dongle, only with UEI's own phone app, and I suspect there is some minor incompatibility that causes the connection problem. The main thing is that once connected, the connection seems to be reliable. I have found that if I have difficulty connecting, it helps to press Devices+Activity again even though the remote has been registered with RMIR. I don't know if you have tried that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: