JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JP1 models available in Europe?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
powersola

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: JP1 models available in Europe? Reply with quote

Hi all.

I just managed to get a URC-2981 seeing it on Amazon in Italy (where I live). For years I was in search for one, but prices were insane compared to US land and never bought one. Now I did, being tempted by the price.
Since 4 days I'm having fun with my little cheap sub-10 Euro remote.
I also bought a "Superior Freedom Micro-USB 4in1" remote, programmable via USB and it's software, very easy but not so customizable. Have tons of codes, also for my TV and STB, but JP1 is what I had in mind since years, and I pulled the trigger.

I can find little to none models to buy here. I think most of the market for UEI remotes is US?

Aside my 2981, what I can easily find here is:
-- One For All URC7140 Essence 4, for 24€
-- One For All URC7955 Smart Control 5, for 38€
-- One For All URC6820, for 20€
-- One For All URC7145 Evolve 4, for 25€
-- One For All URC7935, for 33€
-- One For All URC6810, for 15€
-- One For All URC1280 Contour 8, for 23€

Something notable about these remotes? Some are better than what I already got (2981, for 9,90€)?

I am still experimenting, many years that I heard and "read" about JP1, only 4 days since I got one. Be kind Wink

Have a nice day,
Federico
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We actually have fewer UEI remote models in the US.

I ask myself these questions when choosing a remote:

- Does it have all the physical buttons I need?
- Does it have enough device modes?
- Do I like the ergonomics?
- Is it JP1 compatible?

Only you can answer all these questions after looking at the remote. Your 2981 looks pretty good to me (lots of buttons, 8 devices, nice ergos). But I don't think we have an RDF for it yet. So you will need to provide some info to us to get it added to Remote Master.
powersola

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:

- Is it JP1 compatible?

Only you can answer all these questions after looking at the remote. Your 2981 looks pretty good to me (lots of buttons, 8 devices, nice ergos). But I don't think we have an RDF for it yet. So you will need to provide some info to us to get it added to Remote Master.

Uh, I did think that US was the land of UEI JP1 remotes. SInce years I couldn't find them in Europe, at least since very recent times.

Yeah, for 9,90 Euro I am very satisfied. For some devices maybe it has "few buttons", but I don't know if a JP1 remote with more buttons exists.
In the end I don't really care, my living room STB have buttons that I never used, so I'm ok, totally ok, with that.

Being a "learning remote" I'll map all the remotes I have in home, for all devices, and upload them to the file area.

I provided the necessary infos to "The Robman" so he made a RDF for this exact remote. Now it is recognised in RMIR Wink
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=102842
6th post.

I did see the luminescent Chameleon remotes, I am quite in love with them, but I can't find them anywhere.. what a pity.

Federico
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:

- Is it JP1 compatible?

I ask a fifth question:

- Does it have an extender with ToadTogs, Fast Macros, etc?

This last question eliminates most (all?) current remotes.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:

All. There are no extenders for JP1.4, JP2 and later remotes. The structure of their EEPROM area (the data storage area that is actually flash, not EEPROM) is such that no-one has figured out how to write an extender for them. The only remotes later than JP1.3 for which there is an extender are the URC6440 and its US equivalent the OARUSB04G, which have USB connections rather than the usual 6-pin connector, as these have unique features that have enabled an extender to be written.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

powersola wrote:
Uh, I did think that US was the land of UEI JP1 remotes. SInce years I couldn't find them in Europe, at least since very recent times.
It was the land of JP1 20 years ago. Then the biggest store selling them, Radio Shack, went out of business. Today I can only think of a few retail models available in the US.

Since you already have an RDF, enjoy the remote you have. I would love to have one like that.
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
All. There are no extenders for JP1.4, JP2 and later remotes.

Thank you. I have suspected this to be true, but I have never seen an expert say so.
Debbv

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Lurker wrote:

All. There are no extenders for JP1.4, JP2 and later remotes.

Thank you very much, I was also interested in this information.
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
There are no extenders for JP1.4, JP2 and later remotes.

Is it possible to use any of the special protocols with these remotes without an extender (ToadTog, DSM, PAUSE, Device Multiplexor, LDKP, ...)? I have found hints that it may be, but no real explanation or howto.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:
Is it possible to use any of the special protocols with these remotes without an extender (ToadTog, DSM, PAUSE, Device Multiplexor, LDKP, ...)?

All remotes support Pause without an extender. Just create a new device on the Devices tab and select "Pause Protocol (Special)" from the protocol dropdown. The Protocol Notes on the Setup tab of the Device Upgrade Editor will then give you all the details of how to use it.

Some remotes support DSM as an undocumented feature. Others have it documented and set up with a 978 command. In both cases, to activate this in RMIR for a JP1.4, JP2 or later remote, edit the RDF and add the following section after the [General] section:

[SpecialProtocols]
DSM=Internal:0

This will add a Special Protocols tab to RMIR with support for DSM as the only special protocol. This entry should already be present in the RDF of remotes that are known to support DSM, but doubtless there are others that support it without us knowing. There is no harm in adding this entry and simply testing to see if the DSM works. If it does, please tell us so that we can update the RDF in the next release. If it doesn't work, use RMIR to delete the DSM entry you created and then delete the section from the RDF.

These are the only Special Protocols that are possible without an extender. I have seen mention of ToadTog without an extender, but that is specifically for JP1.3 remotes and is in effect a specialized single-function extender that cannot be reproduced in JP1.4, JP2 and later remotes that have a segment structure for their user data.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: