JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bluetooth is coming to RMIR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StefanR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My environment here is a little bit more complex, my client don't have bluetooth, for using bluetooth i need to buy a dongle and i decided to use the BLED112.

The Windows 10 client i'm using is a virtual machine running on a VMware ESXi host. I'm using VMware Horizon View with a Teradici Zero Client. When i put in a USB device, it will be redirected from that client into the VM, i'm glad that all that is working.

That's my daily business, VMware and central storages...
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Stefan Rolling Eyes . I had to google the things you mention as your system and I still don't understand it Crying or Very sad . But I am very pleased to learn that RMIR Bluetooth support with the BLED112 dongle runs smoothly on such a complex system.
StefanR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

My physical client here is only a terminal which shows me the graphical output of my virtual machine which is running on the server. The client has only 2 4K displays, keybourd, mouse and network connected. Because it shows only the output it don't need much power and has no moving parts, so it is totally silent.

And this can't be happen: Very Happy
https://youtu.be/BWIPZvwcnX8
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StefanR wrote:
And this can't happen: Very Happy
https://youtu.be/BWIPZvwcnX8

I've had my cats walk across my laptop and silently press a PFKEY that I didn't know I had, which would turn off the WiFi or the Trackpad or something
chuliu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the following questions:
1 In installing extender 1 for 7880, the guide suggests to remove the installer. My question is that if the installer are the TV 180x entries?

2 It says in the extender installation guide that we should use a cable to install it. Can I use bled112 instead of the cable? I remember being able to install v2 extender of 7990 with bled112.

3 Can I delete the TV180x entries after installing v2 extender of 7880?

Thank you.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chuliu, the answer to questions 1 and 3 is YES. As for q2, if you have installed Extender 1 then you can use BLED112 to install Extender 2. You cannot use it to install Extender 1 for the simple reason that the dongle does not work until an extender (either one) is installed. You do not have to install Extender 1 before Extender 2, you can install Extender 2 directly with a cable on the unextended remote.

In a little more detail, no part of either extender resides in the user area of the remote. Once either extender is installed, the installer has no further use. You can rewrite the entire user area, such as by loading a setup that you had before the installation or even by doing a factory reset. The extender installer (or in the case of Extender 2 for the URC-7880, either of the two parts of the installer) is a standard .rmir file that can be uploaded to the remote by any available means. The only reason for saying to use a cable is that most people are installing the extender into an unextended remote. To use the BLED112 dongle to load an installer, the remote must have one of the extenders installed already.

I hope this clarifies the situation.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line, the extender gives the remote Bluetooth ability, so you can't install the remote's first extender via Bluetooth, because it won't yet have Bluetooth ability.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a belated apology to chuliu and a note for anyone else reading my previous post. I wrote there

Quote:
If you have installed Extender 1 then you can use BLED112 to install Extender 2. You cannot use it to install Extender 1 for the simple reason that the dongle does not work until an extender (either one) is installed.

I realize now that I had forgotten that the two extenders are installed in different ways. Extender 1 is installed using the BLED112 dongle. It cannot be installed with a cable. The installation uses only those facilities that work with the BLED112 dongle on the unextended remote, which do not include uploading a .rmir setup file. Extender 2 is distributed as two .rmir files and can be installed with any means for loading .rmir files into the remote. This means that Extender 2 can be installed with a cable, whether or not the remote already has Extender 1 installed, or it can be installed with the BLED112 dongle if the remote does already have Extender 1 installed.

The difference between the two extenders is that Extender 1 supports the use of RMIR with the BLED112 dongle only, Extender 2 supports its use either with the dongle or with the Bluetooth support built in to Windows 10. This means that if you want to use the Bluetooth support native to Windows 10 then you need either a cable or the BLED dongle in order to install Extender 2 as a one-off task.
chuliu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. I understand how the two extenders are supposed to installed and their functions now. When I got my two 7880s, I just followed the readme file included in the extender files, and installed extender v1 and v2 subsequently. I didn't know I could install v2 with a cable without first installing extender v1. I am glad that they both are working with RMIR without issues now.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote in an earlier post, concerning the Bluetooth interface to RMIR:

Quote:
The Windows WCL port code was developed and tested with Java 8, so if you are having difficulty using it and have a different version of Java, I advise installing and using Java 8 instead. It appears that there are Windows 10 PCs on which it does not work even with Java 8, so if even this does not work then please look at the rmaster.err text file that is in your RMIR installation folder. You need to close RMIR after a failed attempt to connect with the Windows WCL port before looking at this file. If you see lines that say that the jni4net bridge failed to initialize then unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about it.

This note refers to the use of the Bluetooth interface with the Windows WCL port only, which is the port that makes use of the Bluetooth implementation included in Windows 10. The Bluetooth interface used with the BLED112 dongle is not affected by these issues.

I have previously reported that RMIR v2.12.8 resolved the issue of the Windows WCL port not working with Java versions later than Java 8. This RMIR version included an update to jni4net, which is imported code used in a bridge between Java and the Bluetooth implementation in Windows 10. This update did not, however, solve the problem of Windows 10 installations on which the Windows WCL port did not work even with Java 8.

I have now identified the source of this problem and have posted development build RMIR v2.12.16 in the RMIR Development folder. If a Search or Connect operation is attempted with the Windows WCL port and fails because the jni4net bridge fails to initialize, this build will display a message explaining how to fix the problem. The problem is in fact nothing to do with the Windows 10 installation itself, it is caused by some methods of downloading and unpacking RMIR resulting in the DLLs used by jni4net being blocked from use on the grounds that they are unsafe. This occurs in particular if MS Edge or IE is used for downloading and Windows Explorer is used for unpacking, though some other methods also appear to cause this blocking. The displayed message explains how to unblock them, a one-off process after which the Windows WCL port will work with Java 8 and all later Java versions.
kerryland

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:

The Blue Soleil stack needs version 1.00 of the extender, exactly the same as that for the Bluegiga dongle.

Could someone advise me if the Blue Soleil stack is still supported? It's a great piece of software btw, it lets me use my HTPC as a bluetooth speaker!
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not tested the Blue Soleil stack recently as it is not installed on my current PC, but the code that supports it has not been changed, so it should work. If you try it, I would be very pleased to hear how you get on, as I am not aware of any other RMIR user who has used it.
eah123

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mathdon I just discovered your work on this, and it wasn't even a consideration when I purchased the URC-7880. Installed v2.00 and working perfectly. Thank you!
MrMoody

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks from me as well, I just set up a Plugable BT4LE dongle and my 7980, works perfectly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: