JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sky HD + (DRX895W) with Intesat 422-3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeoffT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Do you still get the same message about wrong signature when you try an upload of this .rmir file without first doing a download?

Yes, I've just tried again with the same file I sent you and I get the signature warning pop up if I try to upload without having downloaded from the remote first

mathdon wrote:
after first loading your .rmir file, go to the Raw Data tab and look at the table of hex values. If any of them are in boldface, it means that RMIR has found a problem in the loading process and has "corrected" the boldface values. You should not get any boldface values.

I checked through the Raw Data tab and there are no hex values in bold

mathdon wrote:
If that is OK, then the next check would be to see what RMIR is reading as the two signatures that it is comparing. In the current RMIR version that is not possible. If we need that, then I will create a development version of RMIR that prints those two values in the rmaster.err file. I will need a few days to do that, so first please do the checks I have suggested and let me know what you find.

OK, Thanks for looking into this. I'm happy to do any further testing required. I do have another remote on the way because despite the quirks the Inteset is working well once set up and we have got used to one each with the Harmony system. So I can also see if I get the same problems with the next one too.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff, if you download from the remote and immediately upload back to the remote without changing anything, do you get the signature warning? If not, could you download and then save the results as an rmir file and post that?
GeoffT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Geoff, if you download from the remote and immediately upload back to the remote without changing anything, do you get the signature warning? If not, could you download and then save the results as an rmir file and post that?

I Just tried that and I get no error when I upload again.

The saved file from the download is here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26376

One thing I have noticed is that the data as downloaded from the remote has no notes or comments on Macros or Devices that were there in the rmir file that I uploaded to it in. I don't know if that is normal.
GeoffT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second remote has just arrived so I've downloaded the setup as it was delivered just in case that provides any clues. It is advertised as "Pre-programmed for Apple TV, XBox One, Media Center/Kodi and Roku device codes"

This is the file:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26377

When I looked in the Raw Data tab after download, the Signature was 361203 as expected but there were lots of Hex codes in Bold.

I exited RMIR, came back in and loaded my latest file. It uploaded to the new remote fine without any warnings and without me having to download from the remote first which I still have to do with the original one. So it seems to be behaving better than my original so far.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Graham,
What does it mean when RMIR detects that a signature is different in a JP1.4 remote? I ask because the signature isn't in the E2 area like it is with older remotes?

@Geoff,
Your new remote certainly did come with several device upgrades added (16 in fact, you can see them in the Devices tab). Did you get any code lists that say what each of these are for?
GeoffT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Rob,

The Amazon description says it is setup for:

Apple TV (A), Xbox One (B), Media Center (C) and Roku (D)

But as you say there are more devices than that in the list.

I think it is a very good remote, especially with device specific macros, which my previous JP1 remote (URC7960) didn't have.

Thanks to the fantastic RMIR program. I now have it doing everything my Harmony Elite & Companion used to do, but without being tied to Harmony's restrictive and now defunct system.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
@Graham,
What does it mean when RMIR detects that a signature is different in a JP1.4 remote? I ask because the signature isn't in the E2 area like it is with older remotes?

JP1.4 and later remotes have a separate signature block that is not part of the E2, which RMIR can read but which does not display as part of the E2. The Raw Data tab does display the signature that it has read, but in the notes at the side and not as part of the hex data display. When you do an upload, the first thing that RMIR does is read the signature of the connected remote and compare it with that of the setup that is to be uploaded. So a message about a differing signature means exactly what it says.

GeoffT wrote:
One thing I have noticed is that the data as downloaded from the remote has no notes or comments on Macros or Devices that were there in the rmir file that I uploaded to it in. I don't know if that is normal.

Yes, that is normal. The notes and comments are not uploaded to the remote, they are just for your info and exist only in the .rmir file. When you do a download, RMIR is interpreting only the data from the remote, so no notes and comments.

It seems from what you say about the second remote that it is behaving correctly and is free of the "signature differs" issue. Can you confirm this? If so, it looks as if the behaviour was due to an issue with the first remote, possibly some corruption in the firmware, in which case I don't think it worth trying to investigate it further.
GeoffT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:

It seems from what you say about the second remote that it is behaving correctly and is free of the "signature differs" issue. Can you confirm this? If so, it looks as if the behaviour was due to an issue with the first remote, possibly some corruption in the firmware, in which case I don't think it worth trying to investigate it further.

Yes that looks to be the case. The second remote is not giving any "signature differs" pop ups and is working as expected. Something is clearly different with the first remote, either, as you say with firmware, or maybe something I screwed up when I was first trying to upload/download.

But, yes, I don't think it's worth anyone spending any more time on this as RMIR is working perfectly with the new one.

Thanks for everyone's help on this Very Happy
GeoffT

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disappointing update.

I've been tweaking some of my macros and then uploading the new files to both remotes, and on one occasion the new one popped up the "signature differs" message too. Same behaviour as the original, if I then downloaded from the remote, reloaded my latest file and then uploaded, everything is fine, but it looks like there is still something not quite right.

It's a very easy workround, so I'm not sure it's worth anyone putting too much effort into, but I'm happy to test anything if required.
GeoffT

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
I'm glad that you got my setup file working, though I cannot explain what was happening when you were getting the "signature differs" problem.

Your problem with unwanted repeats is a known issue with some remotes and protocols. It happens with buttons that repeat when held, and when the remote holds keys listed in the macro for a time that is long enough for the protocol to treat it as held to repeat. There are no settings that can fix that issue, instead the protocol experts have created non-repeating custom versions of some protocols that are prone to this. The Sky protocol is one of these. These non-repeating versions are not loaded by default in RMIR, you need to select an appropriate option. Here is what to do.

I have posted a new version (MathdonSkyVersion2.rmir) that uses the non-repeating protocol. To use this, you first need to open RMIR, open the Options menu and select "Show Slingbox protocols". Then close RMIR and re-open it for the change to take effect. Now load my new file. The Devices tab should now show the protocols as "RC6-M-20n (no repeats)", with PID 00 20* and variant "slingbox". If it shows these then try uploading to your remote. Because you have had troubles before, if RMIR does not show what I have said then don't try the upload, instead post what it shows so I can try to see what is wrong.

Good luck and report back please.

Graham is there an equivalent "no repeat" protocol for Samsung TVs? Now that I'm trying more advanced macros I'm getting the same problem with repeats on the TV as I was with the Sky. I have done a quick file search for "Samsung no repeat" bit couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not important what brand your TV is, or even that it is a TV, the important question is, what IR protocol does it use? Let's say that the upgrade that works your TV uses the NEC1 protocol, what you would need to do is to check the list to see if there's an NEC1 (no repeats) version (once you've included the Slingbox protocols like GRaham advised), and if there is, modify your upgrade to use that instead.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Rob
The protocol for his Samsung is NECx2. There is at present no no-repeats version of this, though there is for NEC1. Can you make one? His remote has an S3F80 processor, so that is all that is needed.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make an NECx2 signal stop repeating, just change it to NECx1.
GeoffT

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
To make an NECx2 signal stop repeating, just change it to NECx1.

Works like a charm! Very Happy

Thanks very much Graham and Rob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: