JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony IRB-BR1 USB dual IR blaster

View previous topic :: View next topic  
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Sony IRB-BR1 USB dual IR blaster Reply with quote

I bought a Sony XBR-55X850C a few years ago and what I thought was a pair of ear bud headphones is actually a dual IR blaster. Is this able to be used with a PC (Windows 10) to send IR codes with a program like IrScrutinizer or other?

Thanks
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not currently supported in IrScrutinizer.

Do you know if there is a published API for the thing? Or if someone is reverse-engineering it?
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is a API published for it. As I believe the Sony android app is closed source

I connected to the TV and a powered by UEI logo came up.

I don't know if that is worth anything to getting it working but I just thought I'd mention that because UEI is the company that made this JP1 thing possible.
Mr Mod

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried looking here

http://oss.sony.net
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few more comments:

Closed-source does not exclude an open. published API, see for example the GlobalCache products.

But looking closer at it, it seems like a part intended to work just in conjunction with the Smart-Tv. The price tag also hints at "spare part for a Sony", nor really intended to be sold separately, but to be provided with the TV. For this reason. reverse engineering it is probably not an attractive project. But, as usual, if you do not agree, please ignore!!

Alternatives (USB -> IR): Arduino, IrToy, Iguana.
yaworski

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Barf. Even if someone here wanted to take a shot at this and buy the part for $50, without the TV itself it would probably be really hard to even start. Even is someone has a Sony TV, there's a risk that this is only supported by specific models.

Even with a correct TV, to capture the USB traffic would require some advanced hardware.

On the other hand, if you're not afraid to break something, you can try at least opening the main part (with the USB plug) and do some high definition photos and post them here. Maybe someone will recognise some known hardware, which would maybe give some hints.
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaworski wrote:
I agree with Barf. Even if someone here wanted to take a shot at this and buy the part for $50, without the TV itself it would probably be really hard to even start. Even is someone has a Sony TV, there's a risk that this is only supported by specific models.

Even with a correct TV, to capture the USB traffic would require some advanced hardware.

On the other hand, if you're not afraid to break something, you can try at least opening the main part (with the USB plug) and do some high definition photos and post them here. Maybe someone will recognise some known hardware, which would maybe give some hints.

Well I still have both the IR blaster and TV (which has not gotten a new firmware since June of 2020) anyway I am becoming more apt in Android stuff and I found how to extract the raw "APK" files I wonder if that would be of any use to someone who does more coding stuff than I can?

Maybe see how it communicates with the blaster and make a driver and/or app for it?

I want to open it also I don't care if I destroy the casing (nothing a little glue or tape can't fix) but I don't want to destroy the actual circuit board inside.

PS: How can I set the forum to send me an email when a new reply is posted?

I have the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box checked but is there another step? (This conversion is here)
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing you can try is to connect it to a Windows or Linux PC. In WIndows, open the device manager and see how it shows up. In Linux, you can use the command lsusb and dmesg (look at last few lines just after the device has been plugged in).

But more importantly, I do not consider this to be a good "maker project". Several arguments have already been given. The device appears not to be shipping to Germany, where I reside. Furthermore, my 2 1/2 years old "high-end-ish" Sony TV (KD55AF9) is not among the supported ones... Sad

Having said that, I do not understand the effort with which some "makers" go into some "preserve my hardware" projects. If you need a general-purpose IR sender, why not build something like this instead? Success is guaranteed (in principle), parts are universally available, the cost is low and (important!) known, (almost) everything is open-source, support is available, and useful knowledge is picked up along the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: