JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Toshiba TV advanced code problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Toshiba TV advanced code problem Reply with quote

Toshiba TV (device 0156) advanced code 220 is labelled "Black out screen toggle" on this site. What does this code actually do?

I tried this code on my Toshiba 32A43, and the screen went black except for a bright red horizontal line across the middle of the screen. I turned the set off and then on and the picture came back. However, now something has changed because dark scenes are very red (glowing). I am unable to get this red out with any of the picture controls. I left the set unplugged overnight, and this did not help.

Does anyone know what Toshiba code 220 does, and more importantly, how I can undo whatever it did? My picture was perfect before and now it is glowing red. Embarassed

Thank you.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my set it just blacks out the screen and I need to power off/on to get rid of it. If you can't get the picture back to how it was using the picture controls you probably need to use the service menu controls, but you will need to do some extra research before playing with those.

It's VERY important that you avoid the one code labelled **DANGER**RESET** as you won't be able to recover from using this command.

If you do decide to play with the service menu controls, be sure to write down all of the current settings before you play with them so you can get back to where you are now, just in case you make things worse.

Here's some sites I found doing a quick search that might help...
http://www.mindspring.com/~jzyber/toshibatv.htm
http://www.e-repair.co.uk/toshiba_service_modes.htm
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/toshiba/servicemenu/servicemenu.html
http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/tvtools.htm
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob for the help and the links.

I still have no idea why the picture was permanently changed so drastically, but after studying all the information, I went into the service menu and managed to get a picture that looks pretty close to the original to my eyes. I had to turn RCUT way way down (40H to 10H), and BCUT up a little (40H to 5EH). I also had to raise Brightness from 40 to 65.

Thanks for the warning about the dangerous reset code. You may want to add a warning that code 220 is also dangerous, at least on my set.

What is Toshiba's reason for having their consumer TVs respond to a remote code that can damage the set? Can't spurious remote codes be generated sometimes by freak conditions of refracted sunlight and such?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not with all the right compliments in the data, etc. Normally you would need a Toshiba service remote to generate those signals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: