JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OARUSB04G corrupted?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pogo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing's ever that simple. I can replicate the result above with settings.bin in the home folder "bill" as well. It seems if settings.bin is in the folder that RMIR was installed to it will open. Oh, well. On to the big experiment. I'll let you know what i find.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
However, on my Linux box (Fedora 33), it does not work (unless give the full pathname of settings.bin, as described above).

That was true also for me on my Linux machine with Ubuntu 20.04. I have tested Barf's improved code on that Linux machine and am pleased to report that it now works with Auto-detect, without the need to give the pathname.

Development build RMIR v2.12.10, which includes this code, is now in the RMIR Development folder on SourceForge.

Bill, it looks as if you have identified the problem in your setup. If it still does not work after your rebuild, please post the rmaster.err file from a failed attempt with RMIR v2.12.10, as I have added a stack traceback to the error message when the file fails to open for reading. You need to close RMIR before copying rmaster.err, as your previous one was incomplete though fortunately included the lines that identified the issue.
pogo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Good News / Bad News Reply with quote

Good News - RMIR ran perfectly on MAC OS 10.12 (Sierra). Download and Upload were successful.

Bad News -- Upgraded to MAC OS 10.15 (Catalina)
"No Remotes found" New installation with no user confusion issue.

rmaster.err from RMIR 2.12.10 is here.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The error file shows the FileNotFound error again, but the additional trace I put in shows the reason to be "Operation not permitted". I have googled this and found this thread describing this error and giving two solutions, though the circumstances are different. The second solution, which says

Quote:
Give Java (/usr/bin/java) Full Disk access
Give Java (/usr/bin/java) Files and Folders access to Downloads, Documents and Folders

and the steps to do this, seems worth trying. It does seem to be an issue specific to Mac OS X,
pogo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck with this, however you're on the right track. It is some issue with permissions. One thing I did demonstrates this, but is not an acceptable solution. I disabled SIP (System Integrity Protection) and download worked just fine. Not an acceptable permanent solution since it's way more global than just providing access to one application.

I don't know if there's anything of use in it but it did post rmaster.err from the successful download.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the new rmaster.err. There is nothing in it that helps to diagnose the "Operation not permitted" issue but it does show an error in interpreting your setup. If you look at the file, you will see the NullPointerException error towards the end. I would like to discover what is causing this, but would need a download of your setup if you are willing to provide it. If you can copy the settings.bin file from the remote (which does not need RMIR) that would be fine, or if you can repeat your temporary fix to enable you to use RMIR, a raw download would be as good. Either would be better than a normal download, as that represents the interpretation that RMIR made of your setup and so may no longer include the error situation.

As for the "Operation not permitted" issue, all I can suggest is that you look at the documentation for the MAC OS upgrade to see if it says what was changed between versions 10.12 and 10.15. Barf may be able to help you better than I can on that issue.
pogo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 10.15 is the third major upgrade since 10.12 there have been a lot of changes. Unfortunately most having to do with "protecting" the user from himself.

Uploaded settings.bin I've been working with. It's simply the factory fresh file from simple set. Unfortunately I wasn't smart enough to save my setup (believing it to be corrupted), and haven't yet begun to recreate it.

I would say that my issue is with permissions on the external mount, except that I also have no success with settings.bin on the system drive unless it's in my home folder. I'll probably table the Mac OS issue for now, since I can work on settings.bin if it's in my user directory.
Jobius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting the same error with RemoteMaster v2.12.15 and Java 16 JRE on an M1 MacBook Air running MacOS Big Sure 11.2.3. From the rmaster.err file:

Starting normal download
Interface Name = JPS
Port Name = /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE/settings.bin
Testing interface: JP1.X Serial
Testing interface: CommHID
Testing interface: JP2BT
Testing interface: JPS
Interface matched. Trying to open remote
File not found: /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE/settings.bin
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE/settings.bin (Operation not permitted)
at java.base/java.io.FileInputStream.open0(Native Method)

The Console shows an error from sandboxd System Policy: java(48104) deny(1) file-read-data /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE/settings.bin
Violation: deny(1) file-read-data /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE/settings.bin
Process: java [48104]
Path: ???
Load Address: 0
Identifier: ???
Version: ??? (???)
Code Type: x86_64 (Native)
Parent Process: JavaLauncher [48103]
Responsible: /System/Library/CoreServices/JavaLauncher.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaLauncher

I've granted Full Disk Access to /usr/bin/java and the JavaLauncher binaries, so I think it's bug in MacOS/sandboxd. I haven't tried disabling System Integrity Protection, and I'd really rather not do that.

Is there anyone running Big Sur out there who has been able to connect with OARUSB40G remote? (Other than by disabling SIP?)
Jobius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just upgraded to MacOS 11.3, and sandbox is still denying access to settings.bin, even though I granted java and JavaLauncher Full Disk Access.

System Policy: java(11319) deny(1) file-read-data /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE/settings.bin
Violation: deny(1) file-read-data /Volumes/VOXX4REMOTE/settings.bin
Process: java [11319]
Path: ???
Load Address: 0
Identifier: ???
Version: ??? (???)
Code Type: x86_64 (Native)
Parent Process: JavaLauncher [11318]
Responsible: /System/Library/CoreServices/JavaLauncher.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaLauncher
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2021-04-28 09:06:22.741 PDT
OS Version: macOS 11.3 (20E232)
Report Version: 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: