JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Logitech is discontinuing all Harmony remotes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandlotje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: Logitech is discontinuing all Harmony remotes Reply with quote

https://www.techhive.com/article/3614814/logitech-officially-discontinues-its-line-of-harmony-universal-remotes.amp.html

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/1500000658341

Once current inventory is gone, it's gone. I might go buy one soon.

They appear as though they're going to continue support the products for a good while though.

I can hardly believe it.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - times are definitely a-changin'! I didn't expect this so soon though.

I actually am totally off IR now and using Bluetooth/HDMI-CEC for everything in my HT and living room - but at this time you have to be aiming for equipment capable of that for it to work smoothly.

Another article:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/10/22377015/logitech-discontinues-harmony-universal-remotes
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Logitech is discontinuing all Harmony remotes Reply with quote

Sandlotje wrote:
https://www.techhive.com/article/3614814/logitech-officially-discontinues-its-line-of-harmony-universal-remotes.amp.html

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/1500000658341

Once current inventory is gone, it's gone. I might go buy one soon.

They appear as though they're going to continue support the products for a good while though.

I can hardly believe it.

OK I hope they keep the datebase online for a long time or opensource it so people like us can do what they want with their remote they paid for!

I love my Harmony 900! The person I bought it from said it was a Harmony One but it was the better Harmony 900!
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read through this announcement and noted that universal remotes are being seen as increasingly irrelevant in the world of streaming video services.

I don't understand why universal remotes become irrelevant in the world of streaming video services.

To me, a universal remote is needed whenever you have an "entertainment center" that consists of multiple devices. If someone has, say, a Roku TV and no other devices to control, then I get it, but as soon as you get a second streaming device to access content not available through Roku, you end up with a second remote. If you decide you'd like an A/V receiver to be able to hear the high quality sound you get with some streaming content, you have another device. If you watch the occasional DVD, then you have another device. If you have a library of videos and movies, then you likely have yet another device, etc.

I must be missing something. Can anyone enlighten me?

I've certainly noticed that new jp1 remotes are getting harder to find, probably for the same reasons Harmony is going away. But my need for universal remotes is not going away.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't the typical streamer have a TV with a sound bar attached, so that's 2 remotes right there, and like you say, if their Roku (or whatever) is an STB, that's a 3rd remote. But maybe what they're basically saying is the idea that people have a TV, STB, DVD player, stereo receiver, etc all in one location is out-dated and the modern person just has a smart TV, maybe with Roku built in, and they can control everything with the TV remote.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Wouldn't the typical streamer have a TV with a sound bar attached, so that's 2 remotes right there, and like you say, if their Roku (or whatever) is an STB, that's a 3rd remote. But maybe what they're basically saying is the idea that people have a TV, STB, DVD player, stereo receiver, etc all in one location is out-dated and the modern person just has a smart TV, maybe with Roku built in, and they can control everything with the TV remote.

It can work with HDMI-CEC though. I use the NVidia Shield remote for everything now. Hit any button, turns on receiver and TV. All content is available on the Shield except console games (Blurays through Kodi, Tablo for OTA, Sling for cable, Netflix/Amazon). Volume controls the receiver. Power button turns off everything.

When playing a video game you pick up the controller anyway, hit the button and it switches inputs automatically. Hit a button on the Shield again, switches inputs back.

Really it is pretty seemless with good WAF - and you know that comes from an OG JP1 user Smile

That said - it is like when we used to make sure devices weren't toggle only - you have to be sure what you buy works well with HDMI-CEC.

xnappo
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnappo wrote:
The Robman wrote:

It can work with HDMI-CEC though. I use the NVidia Shield remote for everything now. Hit any button, turns on receiver and TV. All content is available on the Shield except console games (Blurays through Kodi, Tablo for OTA, Sling for cable, Netflix/Amazon). Volume controls the receiver. Power button turns off everything.

When playing a video game you pick up the controller anyway, hit the button and it switches inputs automatically. Hit a button on the Shield again, switches inputs back.

Really it is pretty seemless with good WAF - and you know that comes from an OG JP1 user Smile

That said - it is like when we used to make sure devices weren't toggle only - you have to be sure what you buy works well with HDMI-CEC.

Interesting about the Nvidia shield. Thanks! Evidently "devices" can be "apps" installed on the shield or be effectively controlled via CEC over an HDMI connection to it. In that case, you effectively have only one device to control, so a universal remote does become irrelevant.

My own setup consists of a TCL Roku TV, a Yamaha receiver, a Dish Network DVR/receiver (I haven't been able to flush Dish quite yet), a Blu-ray player, and a Raspberry Pi with FLIRC installed running OSMC (Kodi) networked to a Windows 10 "server" running NextPVR, which I use to record/watch OTA TV. I use an OARUSB04G to control everything. It works well and the WAF is good. Smile To get away without a universal remote, I'd have to buy at least a Tablo player ($200 plus subscription to guide service) and an Nvidia Shield ($200), but maybe I'm missing something. I'm not sure how capable CEC control of OSMC is running on the Pi.

A couple questions occur to me as I reflect on how I use my system and how it might work with a Shield controlling things. Can you control the Tablo player with your single (Shield) remote, including setting up TV programs to record and playing them, invoking transport functions, changing OTA channels, etc.? Also, if you have a Blu-ray disc you want to play, then you have to scan it into your Kodi library first, right? My wife would certainly struggle with that! Are there functions on any of your "devices" that are not supported via CEC? I ask this because my only experience with CEC was with a TV that could only turn devices on and off via CEC. I'm thinking that's what you mean by being careful about CEC functionality when selecting devices. Smile

As I wrote this, I began thinking back quite a few years ago when I had all Sony components. They had a system whereby you wired devices together and by doing so were able to control everything with a single Sony remote. I'm not a tech guy, but it are we going back to the future with CEC control?
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:

Interesting about the Nvidia shield. Thanks! Evidently "devices" can be "apps" installed on the shield or be effectively controlled via CEC over an HDMI connection to it. In that case, you effectively have only one device to control, so a universal remote does become irrelevant.

Well kinda, it is still controlling the projector power and volume on the receiver, but yes getting rid of the STB and Bluray player is a big simplification

Ed wrote:

A couple questions occur to me as I reflect on how I use my system and how it might work with a Shield controlling things. Can you control the Tablo player with your single (Shield) remote, including setting up TV programs to record and playing them, invoking transport functions, changing OTA channels, etc.?

Yes - no problem.

Ed wrote:

Also, if you have a Blu-ray disc you want to play, then you have to scan it into your Kodi library first, right?

Yes, but I just do that as soon as I buy it. Admittedly I never rent Bluray anymore, just stream it. Only time I get Bluray really is to collect it.

Ed wrote:

Are there functions on any of your "devices" that are not supported via CEC? I ask this because my only experience with CEC was with a TV that could only turn devices on and off via CEC. I'm thinking that's what you mean by being careful about CEC functionality when selecting devices. Smile

Yes, but none that the family uses. Admittedly if I want to calibrate my audio channels, or do some projector calibration I will be digging out my original remote, or my JP1 remote Smile But that is probably once every three months at this point.

Ed wrote:

As I wrote this, I began thinking back quite a few years ago when I had all Sony components. They had a system whereby you wired devices together and by doing so were able to control everything with a single Sony remote. I'm not a tech guy, but it are we going back to the future with CEC control?

That is the idea, but it isn't quite there yet as the HDMI-CEC spec is not implemented well across the board.
Buzywoman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 3 harmony remote (1x 680 and 2x 350), need purchase harmony hub, but out of stock.

if i am not have original remote for learning I use harmony for learning and made code with ir scope

I have purchased sofabaton U1 remote on amazon (this remote support bluetooth) Smile work with shield tv pro and fire tv cube

logitech harmony stop prodution and selling is a bad news, I love logitech harmony.
mz54

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
...my need for universal remotes is not going away.

not even mine Evil or Very Mad
I just bought a urc-7145 and very happy with that Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: