JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OARUSB04G: Reprogramming WatchTV, WatchMovie activity button

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nocturnal IR Emission

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: OARUSB04G: Reprogramming WatchTV, WatchMovie activity button Reply with quote

I am running "OARUSB04G Extender v1.04.zip" on my remote. With this extender I found that it is not possible to assign Key Moves to the activity buttons. I was able to program them using macros (ComboCancel; DCSave; STB; Phantom1; DCRestore), however I now want to be able to hold them down to repeat the IR command. Currently, holding them down activates their special functions instead of sending the (NEC) IR repeat code.

I do not need Activities at all in my setup so it is OK if this functionality gets permanently disabled.

Is there a way to do this with the stock extender? If not, would be it possible to modify the extender code to support it? I am proficient in ARMv7 assembly but would need a push in the right direction to get started programming these UEI chips.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think it is possible to do what you want. It is not an issue with the extender. The operation of the Activities buttons is set by the firmware of the remote and is not changed by the extender. The extender increases the number of supported activities from two to six by use of the List key as a shift, but does not change the way those buttons work. Neither you nor I could change this by modifying the extender.
Nocturnal IR Emission

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever tried to dump/disassemble/rewrite the entire MAXQ622X flash? Is there any documentation on how this extender was implemented or how you figured out the file layout?

I haven't opened any of my OAR remotes so I'm not sure, but from the datasheet it looks like the MAXQ622X has 128kB of software-reprogrammable flash onchip. settings.bin is 117107 bytes, not 131072, so I'm guessing that is a restricted "window" into the main flash. Unsure whether settings.bin contains any executable code, or just configuration data that the firmware acts upon.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nocturnal IR Emission wrote:
Is there any documentation on how this extender was implemented or how you figured out the file layout?

I studied the settings.bin file obsessively for months, gradually understanding more and more until I knew enough to start modifying it. I am an old man, retired for many years. I have the time to do that. This forum is my hobby, which I do to keep my brain active. There is no documentation on how I did that, it is not possible to explain how you come to understand something. I did write notes on what I found, but I have changed my computer several times since then and no longer have them. I do not think I can help you further.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: