JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-7880 Bluetooth Connection to Windows 10 Not Working
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuliu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also received my urc-7880 remotes from Walmart.
I installed v2 extender with my jp1 cable first.
Then I was able to connect to rmir v1204 with bled112.
After that, I tried to connect with windows wcl and ti worked, too.
Sometimes when I try to connect, it says connection failed.
I need to give it a few tries and it will work.

Note that when I switched from bled112 to wcl, I didn't search again.
Just connected to the entry in the list.
Ed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuliu wrote:
I also received my urc-7880 remotes from Walmart.
I installed v2 extender with my jp1 cable first.
Then I was able to connect to rmir v1204 with bled112.
After that, I tried to connect with windows wcl and ti worked, too.
Sometimes when I try to connect, it says connection failed.
I need to give it a few tries and it will work.

Note that when I switched from bled112 to wcl, I didn't search again.
Just connected to the entry in the list.

Did you use Options>Advanced>Find all Bluetooth? That option worked for me with the BLED112 the last time I tried it, about a month ago. I could not, however, get the Windows WCL to work, with or without Find all Bluetooth.

Graham, should I head up to my daughter's again to try again with the latest version?
chuliu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My urc7880 remote works fine connecting via bled112 or windows wcl with either find all Bluetooth checked or unchecked. If I check find all Bluetooth and search for remote, it will list a lot of nearby Bluetooth devices. I need to select the one with smartxxx, which is the urc7880. Once I register the remote and give a a easy to remember name. I then go ahead to uncheck find all Bluetooth. This time even if I hit search button, only the urc7880 will be displayed in the list.

I did have to re-try the connection a few times, maybe 5 times, before it will connect.
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuliu wrote:
My urc7880 remote works fine connecting via bled112 or windows wcl with either find all Bluetooth checked or unchecked. If I check find all Bluetooth and search for remote, it will list a lot of nearby Bluetooth devices. I need to select the one with smartxxx, which is the urc7880. Once I register the remote and give a a easy to remember name. I then go ahead to uncheck find all Bluetooth. This time even if I hit search button, only the urc7880 will be displayed in the list.

I did have to re-try the connection a few times, maybe 5 times, before it will connect.

Your experience sounds quite similar to mine, except I need to use the "find all Bluetooth" function because, evidently, URC uses a different naming convention here than they do elsewhere. Once I find and register a remote, there's no longer a need for the "find all remotes" functionality.

I think Graham has been working on fixing the "naming convention" problem and the WCL problem. (WCL doesn't work for me.)
Ed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:01 am    Post subject: Test results using 2.12.4 Reply with quote

@Graham,

I managed to pay my daughter a visit today and took the opportunity to try connecting her remotes using 2.12.4 with WCL and BLED112 with and without using the "Find all Bluetooth" option selected.

Long story short, "Search" could not find her remote with BLED112 unless Find all Bluetooth was selected. WCL could not find it with or without the Find all Bluetooth connected.

I took care to save off the rmaster.err file for your review. It's here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26186

Please advise if you need further information.

Thanks for your help.

Ed
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ed,

I am sorry for the delay in investigating the findings in your post of December 20, but other matters have meant that I have not had time for JP1 in the meantime. I have now repeated what you tried with the WCL interface, as closely as possible, and for me it all worked. I installed and used exactly the same Java version as your error file showed you were using, namely 32-bit Java 1.8.0_271, to make sure that Java was not responsible for your problems. Here are extracts from my rmaster.err file in confirmation:
Code:
RMIR v2.12.4
Incorporates Girr v2.2.9
Girr Commit Id: ffb8129
Incorporates IrpTransmogrifier v1.2.8
IrpTransmogrifier Commit Id: 438b283
Legacy merge set = true
System Properties:
   java.version = 1.8.0_271
   java.vendor = Oracle Corporation
   os.name = Windows 10
   os.arch = x86
   java.home = C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_271
   java.class.path = RemoteMaster.jar
Testing interface: JP2BT
Interface matched.  Trying to open BLE interface
Connected BLE interface on port Windows WCL
BLE stack is Microsoft
Port Name = Windows WCL
Opened on Port Windows WCL
Progress updater set
Size now = 1
Progress updater set
Starting connectUEI()
Basic connection to remote succeeded

You will see that the initial system data is identical to that in your error file, but that the WCL interface opened and found one remote (the "Size now = 1" entry), which was my URC7880.

When your system tried to open the BLE interface, however, you got the error
Code:
Can't initialize jni4net Bridge from C:\JP1\RMIR v2.12.4\rmirwin10ble\jni4net.n.w32.v40-0.8.8.0.dll

The jni4net bridge is the interface between the Java code of RMIR and the C# code of WCL, the Wireless Communications Library Bluetooth Framework. If that bridge fails to initialize then nothing to do with the WCL interface in RMIR will work, as its code cannot be accessed. The code of both the jni4net bridge and the WCL Bluetooth Framwork is incorporated into RMIR, in part within the RemoteMaster.jar file but mainly as support files in the rmirwin10ble subfolder of the RMIR installation folder, but that is all code imported under license, not code developed within the JP1 forum. If that code fails, as it has done in your case, it is outside our control.

Its failure must be due to some difference between your setup and mine, but it is not clear what that difference is. As far as I can see, the only possibilities are in the Windows 10 version and in the hardware and proprietary software of our laptops themselves. I don't think it can be in the Windows 10 version as at the start of this thread you had version 1909 so now have either that or later, and I believe I had that version when I started the Bluetooth development for RMIR, though it has since updated to 2004. I believe you said at one point that yours was a Dell laptop, so at present I put the problem down to something proprietary in your Dell machine. I have no other thoughts and cannot see that there is anything I can do to fix it, I'm afraid.

Your other issue concerns the BLED dongle. Here the code involved is entirely in Java, does not involve any bridge and so is in our control. You say that the dongle found your remotes when you used the new "Find all Bluetooth" option but not without that option selected. This I do not understand. Your error file shows two attempts at using the dongle, the first without this option and the second with it. Both appear to have worked. Here is an extract from that file:
Code:
Interface matched.  Trying to open BLE interface
Trying to connect to BLED on port COM3
Connected to BLED after 0ms
Connected BLE interface on port COM3
BLE stack is Texas Instruments
Port Name = COM3
Opened on Port COM3
Progress updater set
Size now = 1
Size now = 2

The "Size now" value increments as each remote is found, so two remotes were found. There is a later attempt with the "Find all Bluetooth" option selected that found 15 Bluetooth devices and which lists their names and addresses, two being your URC7880 remotes with name "SmArt". These will be the two that were found in the first attempt without this option. The error file only lists names and addresses when this option is selected, as it is really a debugging option, so the absence of names and addresses there is of no significance. So as far as I can tell from the error file, the BLED dongle worked as expected.
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Graham,

Thanks for your continued support. I figured you got busy with other priorities. Since my daughter's remote is up and running, I have the BLED dongle and it works using the "find all Bluetooth" options, pursuing this issue hasn't been a high priority for me, either. That said, I'd like to help get it working, just because!

Regarding the jni4net bridge, I'm afraid I'm well over my head technically. My PC is a Dell Inspiron 7390 2n1, currently running Windows 10 Home Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1316). Here is some more information about my system I get when I run the "System Information" app:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-2NIK2NO
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 7390 2n1
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 0907
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 1992 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.10.0, 8/13/2020
SMBIOS Version 3.1
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.
BaseBoard Product 08YRWT
BaseBoard Version A00
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.1171"
User Name DESKTOP-2NIK2NO\g_e_f
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.8 GB
Available Physical Memory 8.73 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.2 GB
Available Virtual Memory 9.83 GB
Page File Space 2.38 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Just for grins, I navigated to C:\JP1\RMIR v2.12.4\rmirwin10ble\jni4net.n.w32.v40-0.8.8.0.dll I noticed that there were apparently 32 and 64 bit versions of this file. I'm running 64 bit Windows, but the referenced file seems to be for 32 bit. Does that make a difference?

I also did some quick searching to see if I could find any known issues with jni4net bridge and my computer and came up empty. I guess if we have to accept defeat on this front, I'll survive. Very Happy

Regarding the BLED dongle, I guess I'm going to have to head to my daughter's house and try again. My memory may be foggy, but I seem to recall that, when I tried to connect without using the "find all Bluetooth" option, I hit "search", the list of remotes went blank (as expected), and after a minute or so, that list was still blank, suggesting that it couldn't find any remotes (or so it seemed). I seem to recall that the "searching..." message was displayed during that time as well. Maybe the remotes were found and the list just didn't get populated?

I'll try the BLED without the find all option and document things more carefully. It may take me awhile to get up to her house, but I'll post back after I've done that.

Again, thanks very much for your persistence and continued support. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with this remote. I kind of like this remote, but it's begging for a "real" extender to be competitive with my OARUSB04 with the excellent extender you built for it. Unfortunately, I suppose, there just doesn't seem to be much demand for it, and it may very well be discontinued.

Ed
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
Just for grins, I navigated to C:\JP1\RMIR v2.12.4\rmirwin10ble\jni4net.n.w32.v40-0.8.8.0.dll I noticed that there were apparently 32 and 64 bit versions of this file. I'm running 64 bit Windows, but the referenced file seems to be for 32 bit. Does that make a difference?

You are running 64-bit Windows but 32-bit Java, and it is the Java version that determines which jni4net file is needed. The bridge selects the version that it needs, that is not set by RMIR. That is why I installed 32-bit Java to reproduce what you were using, though I usually use 64-bit Java.

There is an issue with jni4net, in that it doesn't work with Java 14. I think, in fact, that it doesn't work with Java 11 and later but Java 14 is what I have tested it with. The current release of jni4net dates back to 2014 so I don't think the author is still maintaining it. I suppose it is possible that whatever it is that stops it working with Java 14 could also be affecting your setup, but that seems unlikely.

I haven't tried my dongle with the 32-bit Java 8 to make sure that remotes that are found do actually show up in the list, but I will do so to eliminate that possibility.

There is no possibility of a "real" extender for this remote - at least, not from me. The effort it would take far outweighs the rewards and is just not worth it to me, I'm afraid.
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:

There is no possibility of a "real" extender for this remote - at least, not from me. The effort it would take far outweighs the rewards and is just not worth it to me, I'm afraid.

I completely understand. I didn't mean to suggest that you -- or anyone -- should try to build an extender for this remote, only that it needs one to be really useful. I get to wondering about what will replace my OARUSB04G when it comes time, but that's off-topic for this thread Smile

Thanks again for your help.

Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: