JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help for new setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackching

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Help for new setup Reply with quote

So one of my setups is having a uhf bell receiver downstairs with a hdmi cord ran up the wall to the tv, a firestick and a hdmi hub/switch all hooked to the same television. I have the upgrade files for both the bell receiver and the hdmi switch. Is there any way of running all of these devices on one remote? My assumption is that i have to run an ir extender up the wall from the bell receiver which i have not worked with before and have no idea about. Also i may have read something about an insight or something for the firestick maybe? Let me know your ideas. The RF bell receiver will also work with IR btw.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading between the lines here, am I correct in guessing that you are looking to setup a remote to work the upstairs TV, the problem being that the satellite receiver is positioned near the downstairs TV? So the problem that you are trying to solve is, how to control the satellite receiver from upstairs?
jackching

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Reading between the lines here, am I correct in guessing that you are looking to setup a remote to work the upstairs TV, the problem being that the satellite receiver is positioned near the downstairs TV? So the problem that you are trying to solve is, how to control the satellite receiver from upstairs?

Not quite. There is no tv downstairs. The reason for positioning the receiver downstairs is because it is a dual tuner therefore running two tvs upstairs. It is already working with the upstairs tv via a uhf remote. The problem is also on that upstairs tv i have a hdmi switch in which is ran by remote and a firestick which is ran by remote. I have three remotes for that tv alone. I want to be able to have one remote for that tv running those three devices.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably missing something here, but why does the fact it's a dual tuner mean it has to go downstairs when both of the TVs are upstairs?

The more info you give us, and the clearer it is, the better able we are to help.
jackching

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I'm probably missing something here, but why does the fact it's a dual tuner mean it has to go downstairs when both of the TVs are upstairs?

The more info you give us, and the clearer it is, the better able we are to help.

The two tvs upstairs are wall mounted with no room for stands under them and both rooms have no place to put the receiver as they are bedrooms thats why the receiver is installed downstairs.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Amazon and search for "IR remote repeater" to see your options.
jackching

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Go to Amazon and search for "IR remote repeater" to see your options.

Ya so what do i need for the firestick to work on IR?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firestick needs the Inteset IReTV and Y-adapter, also on Amazon. I buy the kit that includes both.
https://www.amazon.com/Inteset-Receiver-Harmony-Remotes-Included/dp/B07KPPQFF8
Some have reported it doesn't work with very old Firestick models.

If you're not married to Firestick, a Roku is about the same price and doesn't need any adapters for IR, as long as you don't buy the stick model.

For your repeater, you may also want to consider IR over HDMI. I think that would allow you to use your existing HDMI run without pulling any additional cables.
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-109964-Extender-Over-HDMI/dp/B00CQLISDM

They also make wireless repeaters
https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Wireless-Repeater-Extender/dp/B073WQNHQP

Of course, the cheapest ones are wired.
https://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Extender-Repeater-Emitters-Receiver/dp/B07MV1HGX6
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
For your repeater, you may also want to consider IR over HDMI. I think that would allow you to use your existing HDMI run without pulling any additional cables.

That's pretty cool, I hadn't heard of those before. Here's a cheaper one that it's stock with Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Resources-20-60kHz-Cable-Repeater/dp/B07GD67W86/
jackching

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Firestick needs the Inteset IReTV and Y-adapter, also on Amazon. I buy the kit that includes both.
https://www.amazon.com/Inteset-Receiver-Harmony-Remotes-Included/dp/B07KPPQFF8
Some have reported it doesn't work with very old Firestick models.

If you're not married to Firestick, a Roku is about the same price and doesn't need any adapters for IR, as long as you don't buy the stick model.

They also make wireless repeaters
https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Wireless-Repeater-Extender/dp/B073WQNHQP

Of course, the cheapest ones are wired.
https://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Extender-Repeater-Emitters-Receiver/dp/B07MV1HGX6

This is great information. I just need the IR extender and the IReTv and i think im good to go. Does it have to be specifically IReTV or can it be any IR receiver with a USB end on it? I just got the Y adapter in the mail a week or so ago. Oh one other thing, ill need the the upgrade file for the 2020 firestick with volume controls.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to be the IReTV. An IR receiver has no smarts or circuitry to communicate with the Firestick over USB.

It uses Xbox 360 codes (MCE), period. Use punch-thru and your TV or AVR codes for volume control.
jackching

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
It has to be the IReTV. An IR receiver has no smarts or circuitry to communicate with the Firestick over USB.

It uses Xbox 360 codes (MCE), period. Use punch-thru and your TV or AVR codes for volume control.

Can you curse in here? The IReTV is $58 in canada. Might have to pass on it
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check out Roku like Dave suggested (just avoid the stick).
jackching

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Did you check out Roku like Dave suggested (just avoid the stick).

I have two firesticks and a roku stick already. I prefer the firestick way more as you can modify it whatever way you want. Maybe ill have to move the roku stick into that room.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: