JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Teach a old URC-2025 dog some new tricks..
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing. Just realize that taking the last byte only works with the NEC protocol of your TV. Other devices will require different decoding, which our tools know how to do. I recommend you get familiar with IRScrutinizer so you can feed your lirc files into it to decode them regardless of protocol.
samuelrock

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Sure thing. Just realize that taking the last byte only works with the NEC protocol of your TV. Other devices will require different decoding, which our tools know how to do. I recommend you get familiar with IRScrutinizer so you can feed your lirc files into it to decode them regardless of protocol.

It has been a interesting path to this point.. I started on my laptop but could not get the MCE dongle to work properly.. I dug up my old original Xbox DVD dongle that I used with XBMC years back but the driver has not been included in lirc in a few years.. I ended up pulling a demodulator from a old TV board and making a serial adapter again it was a no go I got data similar to what I was getting with my MCE dongle.

At that point it was pointing that lirc does not work properly on modern linux kernels so I had already had a demodulator on the way from amazon when I got home today I slapped raspbian jessie on the pi and ran down the same config that I ran on my laptop and got a good capture..

I was so happy I got it to work I sat here and did a capture on every remote I had in the house..

I have IRScrutinizer on my laptop I have not installed it on the pi yet.. I think I am going to end up using this pi just for IR stuff.. I am about to deploy a home assistant box so I want to integrate a lot of stuff with the automation box..

Here is a photo of all the ir paraphernalia from this project..

Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plug in the USB MCE dongle to a modern Linux system (like the RPi), you will (hopefully Wink ) see that it shows up as /dev/lirc0, This can be used not only by Lirc but also by IrScrutinizer, both for sending and capturing, using /dev/lirc as sending/capturing hardware. No need to use irrecord ever again!!

The Linux kernel supports a few different hardware receivers/senders directly (through the /dev/lirc interface), as well as kernel rendering and decoding. (Note that the device "lirc" now belongs to the kernel, not to the package "Lirc" (despite of the name).)

Lirc is, although not officially discontinued, and still contained in most (all?) distributions, really a piece of history. The new program "ir-ctl" can read/write /dev/lirc just as well as IrScrutinizer.
samuelrock

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Is your URC-2025 paired with a cable box for RF? If it is, I would really love to have a raw download of it to improve my knowledge of its RF support. To use your phrase, that would be awesome Smile .

Graham,

I got a URC-2125BCO-BG in today, it says RF on it and it came with a RF to IR bridge. The remote appears to send RF commands to the bridge where they are converted to IR to be transmitted to the cable box. Let me know if you want me to program anything into it and redump it for you..

Here is a link to the raw dump and some photos of the remote.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26134

Here is a photo of the remote.

samuelrock

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
If you plug in the USB MCE dongle to a modern Linux system (like the RPi), you will (hopefully Wink ) see that it shows up as /dev/lirc0, This can be used not only by Lirc but also by IrScrutinizer, both for sending and capturing, using /dev/lirc as sending/capturing hardware. No need to use irrecord ever again!!

The Linux kernel supports a few different hardware receivers/senders directly (through the /dev/lirc interface), as well as kernel rendering and decoding. (Note that the device "lirc" now belongs to the kernel, not to the package "Lirc" (despite of the name).)

Lirc is, although not officially discontinued, and still contained in most (all?) distributions, really a piece of history. The new program "ir-ctl" can read/write /dev/lirc just as well as IrScrutinizer.

It did showup as /dev/lirc0 in LMDE 4, at the end of the day its just Debian buster.. When I set IrScrutinizer to use that device I got random results at best..

When I installed Debian jessie on the pi and used a ir demodulator connected to the GPIO everything worked exactly as expected.

I may give the MCE dongle another swing using the pi with a buster install. Maybe there is a issue with the MCE device, I will have to to further testing to get to the bottom of it..
samuelrock

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:

Ok, so the MCE dongle works fine in a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04.. Its still a no go on my LMDE 4, At this point I have no idea why.. I will try a fresh install of LMDE 4 later maybe I have botched something on my laptop...
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I admire your tenacity to make whatever you have on hand sort of work, you could just get an actual learning JP1 remote and cable and call it a day. The OARUSB04G would do the job just fine and was going for about $15 last time I checked. I have a drawer full of them I got for less than $10.
samuelrock

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
While I admire your tenacity to make whatever you have on hand sort of work, you could just get an actual learning JP1 remote and cable and call it a day. The OARUSB04G would do the job just fine and was going for about $15 last time I checked. I have a drawer full of them I got for less than $10.

Again its more about learning how to do it.. Plus if someone already has a MCE dongle they are using on a HTPC it will cost them nothing to plug it into a linux box and capture some codes. If they do not have a MCE dongle one can be sourced on ebay for less than 10 bux..

At the end of the day I would rather use the MCE dongle to learn a whole remote by simply entering the button name then pressing said button for 1 second over learning the buttons in banks of 4 like I did years ago with my old URC-8810 and JP1 cable.

I am a ham radio operator and tinker with electronics for fun I have a whole lab in my house I am also a I&E tech by trade I make my living working through issues so working out the details on this stuff only keeps the mind sharp. Its no different than say troubleshooting a modbus network for communication issues..
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: