JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

AR Xsight ARRX12G vs. AARX15G

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chileboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: AR Xsight ARRX12G vs. AARX15G Reply with quote

Is there any functional difference between the 12G and the 15G remotes, other than 12 vs. 15 devices, and the screen selection keys being underneath the screen on the former as opposed to next to the screen on the latter?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are functionally the same. But to me the selection keys for the LCD buttons makes it very cumbersome to use. You scroll up and down to the function you want then select it. With up to 24 functions on the screen and only 3 per page, that's pretty brutal. On the plus side, the remote is a good bit smaller. I think it would work ok for a simple system.

Another difficulty is they can't run the same config file as the 15G or 18G, so you have to start from scratch.

I haven't used one enough to comment on the longevity. I have a couple, but I haven't touched them in years. But you have inspired to dig one out and give it another shot.
chileboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Good info, thank you. Was just looking for a less-expensive eBay gamble, if that makes sense. Smile
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I misunderstand the question, surely there IS a functional difference. Indeed, the differences are greater than the similarities. The ARRX06G and ARRX12G have a MAXQ processor and a data (E2) area with a segment structure. They are equivalent to the European XSight Lite and Plus. The ARRX15G and ARRX18G are in the original XSight series with two processors, an ARM that is invisible from the user point of view but which runs the main firmware and an S3F80 that is the IR Blaster (which is why those remotes use S3F80 executors). The data area is yet a third LSI chip, a dedicated filestore. Perhaps these are structural differences rather than functional ones, but they are very substantial ones.
CyberSimian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: AR Xsight ARRX12G vs. AARX15G Reply with quote

chileboy wrote:
Is there any functional difference between the 12G and the 15G remotes, other than 12 vs. 15 devices, and the screen selection keys being underneath the screen on the former as opposed to next to the screen on the latter?

I have an Xsight Lite (6 devices), an Xsight Plus (same design as the Lite, but 12 devices), and an Xsight Colour (15 devices).

The first Xsight that I purchased was the Colour, as I liked the soft buttons either side of the screen that could be programmed with functions AND with labels to identify the functions. However, when I received it, I was really disappointed with the feel of it. The buttons for the transport controls are excellent, but all of the other buttons sit too low with respect to the casing, making them awkward to press. I suppose that these might be called "low profile" buttons.

I then purchased the Lite. The buttons are "high profile", and much to my liking, but I agree with mdavej about the soft button capability. If you need only the functions that are assigned to the hard buttons, the Lite is OK, as you have only one soft button that does not require scrolling. But if you frequently need to use more than one soft button, the Lite is too annoying. I guess one might call the design "idiosyncratic".

I then anticipated needing more than 6 devices, so I purchased a Plus while they were still available new. This has illuminated buttons in addition to 12 devices. I expected it to have the same feel as the Lite, but when I received it I was really disappointed to find that it had low profile buttons similar to the Colour. I don't know whether this is sample variation, or whether they are all like this.

For the past couple of years I have been using a Logitech Harmony 650 (boo, hiss). Although I dearly love the way that activities are implemented on the Harmony, it has certain other irritations, so I am contemplating setting up the Lite again.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Unless I misunderstand the question, surely there IS a functional difference. Indeed, the differences are greater than the similarities. The ARRX06G and ARRX12G have a MAXQ processor and a data (E2) area with a segment structure. They are equivalent to the European XSight Lite and Plus. The ARRX15G and ARRX18G are in the original XSight series with two processors, an ARM that is invisible from the user point of view but which runs the main firmware and an S3F80 that is the IR Blaster (which is why those remotes use S3F80 executors). The data area is yet a third LSI chip, a dedicated filestore. Perhaps these are structural differences rather than functional ones, but they are very substantial ones.
Massive structural differences for sure. I was thinking more in terms of how it's used. Similar button layout, macro, activity and favorites capabilities.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Massive structural differences for sure. I was thinking more in terms of how it's used. Similar button layout, macro, activity and favorites capabilities.

I know that you and I know that but I'm not sure that Mark does. The difference is far more than just a change of processor, so I thought it worth mentioning in case it helps Mark with his decision.
chileboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read through all of this - Dave is correct in that I was asking more about the user experience, rather than the technical details. I find it interesting, although much of it goes over my head tbh. I'd be interested how, or if, any of it affects my daily use, although I suppose it explains why I can't use my current ARRX15G configuration with the ARRX12G. I'm guessing it would matter if I get into the real intricacies of the programming.

I'm going to stick with the ARRX15G/18G I think.

Thanks for all the info, and also to CyberSimian for his input on the different models.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Nevo and Xsight Remotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: