JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Multiplexor Theory of Operation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark60050

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Multiplexor Theory of Operation Reply with quote

Hi All:

I am new to using extenders and have a question on theory of operation. I am using Comcast JP1.3 remote that has 4 built-in devices and trying to control 6 devices using the multiplexor function.. [I realize there are other JP1.3 remotes with more devices, but I prefer the Comcast remote as I find the range to be better. Works from my Kitchen to my family room]

My question: Which device is the target of the multiplexor? When I configure a multiplexor using 1.02 of the extender, I see an option to assign a key for the multiplexor that is device specific. Then I can select a device for the multiplexor. However, it is unclear which device the multiplexor replaces?

1) Does it replaces the current device?
2) Does it replace the device to which the key is assigned?
3) Does it exist outside of the defined 4 devices (cable, tv, aux, dev3)

I assume that it replaces the device to which the key was assigned. As an example, I've uploaded my test configuration here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26076

In this rmir file I have support for 6 devices. On the built-in devices I have:

Cable: Streamzap remote protocol configured for KODI
TV: Toshiba TV
Aux: Toshiba Blue-ray
Dev3: Yamaha RX-V685

The additional devices I am trying to multiplex are:

Roku XS mapped to OnDemand button
Xbox mapped to the ALL_ON button

The device I multiplex is the AUX device. So I have three phatom keys that I have programmed multiplexors for: the Roku, the Xbox and the Blue-ray. I assume that I have to switch the AUX device using the multiplexor each time I want one of these three devices to be active.

Now the rmir file I've uploaded kinda works, but I've seen some weird things happening. Initially, the configuration works fine. I can control KODI with the cable device and the blue-ray with the blue-rate device. But as I switch back and forth, things start to get wonky. For example, the cable device somehow got swapped with the aux device. So I clearly don't understand what I am doing.

I did search the forum for "multiplex", "multiplexor" and "multiplexer", but could not find a a good example of what I was trying to do.

If anyone can provide some insight on how multiplexors work I would be grateful.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multiplex has the same effect as holding the setup button and manually entering a new setup code. So you're correct that you need multiplexers to change to different setup codes and to change back to the original.

I use a mulitplexer like yours where I multiplex 9 devices on the same device button. My macros look like yours except I don't use X_Cancel. I can't explain why that would possibly make any difference, but it's the only difference I see between yours and mine. Otherwise, maybe there's a bug in this version of the extender?

Here's my working file, if you want to compare it to yours. Mine's a little more complicated because my macro nesting is deeper and I use LKP macros. But the multiplexer functionality is the same.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26077
mark60050

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Multiplex has the same effect as holding the setup button and manually entering a new setup code. So you're correct that you need multiplexers to change to different setup codes and to change back to the original.

I use a mulitplexer like yours where I multiplex 9 devices on the same device button. My macros look like yours except I don't use X_Cancel. I can't explain why that would possibly make any difference, but it's the only difference I see between yours and mine. Otherwise, maybe there's a bug in this version of the extender?

Here's my working file, if you want to compare it to yours. Mine's a little more complicated because my macro nesting is deeper and I use LKP macros. But the multiplexer functionality is the same.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26077

Thanks mdavej. Thanks for confirming my understanding. I took a look at your rmir file. I got rid of the x_cancel and I made sure all keysets were assigned to the AUX device before I used the multiplexor. That seemed to help. The cable device no longer is remapped. Things still don't work quite right. I can't put my finger on what exactly is wrong. For the moment, I am going back to a non-extended device. I may come back to the extender at some point to see if I can pinpoint what is going wrong.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another concept which is useful when you're trying to cram too many devices into one remote is, some devices aren't devices that you really use directly, they're more like device that help you use other devices, like a/v selectors for example, so for devices like that it's usually best not to waste a device button on them, it's better to spread the buttons out. I can explain more if needed.

Sometimes it's also a good idea to combine devices onto one device button, I do that for my stereo receiver and CD player, for example. I have another case where I've merged 2 devices together, the main device is X10 and it doesn't make use of the 4 arrows keys and select, so I re-used them for a remote controlled floor fan.
mark60050

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Another concept which is useful when you're trying to cram too many devices into one remote is, some devices aren't devices that you really use directly, they're more like device that help you use other devices, like a/v selectors for example, so for devices like that it's usually best not to waste a device button on them, it's better to spread the buttons out. I can explain more if needed.

Sometimes it's also a good idea to combine devices onto one device button, I do that for my stereo receiver and CD player, for example. I have another case where I've merged 2 devices together, the main device is X10 and it doesn't make use of the 4 arrows keys and select, so I re-used them for a remote controlled floor fan.

Hi Robman, thanks for the advice. Yes. I have been using some of these options in the past. I use the key moves to add volume control and device selection for my previous Yamaha RX-V620 receiver and I can easily do the same for my new Yamaha RX-V685 receiver. I just need to add some input selection control. I already have a configuration mostly working using key moves without the extender. Moreover, I can also use HDMI CEC to control my blu-ray through my receiver perhaps eliminating the need to program the blu-ray as a "real" device. I can just program a macro and perhaps key move for blu-ray input control and then rely on CEC. So, I am good. Appreciate the help.

I was curious about these device extenders and wanted to see if I can create a more elegant solution. Perhaps add control for basic xbox . But, nothing here is critical.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice for input selects is to pick an unused button, if you have one, and designate it as the input button, then use keymoves to copy the approriate input select buttons to the relevant device mode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: