JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Summary feature in RMIR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: New Summary feature in RMIR Reply with quote

Many updates to RMIR add features or fix bugs that are of interest only to a small selection of users. Development build 7 of RMIR v2.08, available in the RMIR Development folder as an update to build 6, adds a new feature that I hope will be of interest to all users. This is the ability to create an HTML file that contains all the tabular data in the setup that is currently open in RMIR. The obsolete IR.exe that RMIR superseded had a summary facility but until now, RMIR had no equivalent feature. This is initially released in a development build as there are so many variations in possible setups that it is likely that there are still some bugs that need to be fixed. As this is a completely new feature, I would welcome all comments, whether they be positive or negative or suggestions for improvement, as well as bug reports.

What is present is a new item, Create Summary, on the File menu. Selecting this creates a file, summary.html, in your RMIR installation folder and then opens this with your default web browser. Here is what you should expect to see in the summary. The tables under all RMIR tabs should appear, in tab order, looking almost identical to their appearance in RMIR. If you have changed the order of the columns or sorted the rows in a table then those changes should be present also in the summary file. In case it is not generally known, many but not all tables in RMIR allow you to change the column order by dragging the column headers and to sort the rows on column data by clicking on the appropriate header. The summary file is self-contained, so it can be copied and/or renamed if you wish to retain it. If you do not do so then it will be overwritten without prompting when you next run the summary feature.

Please report any bugs, comments and suggestions in this thread.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New Summary feature in RMIR Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
The summary file is self-contained, so it can be copied and/or renamed if you wish to retain it. If you do not do so then it will be overwritten without prompting when you next run the summary feature.

One suggestion... why not use the name of the of the displayed RMIR file (if available) instead of the generic "summary.html"?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
One suggestion... why not use the name of the of the displayed RMIR file (if available) instead of the generic "summary.html"?

I anguished over what to do about the file name. I see three uses of the Summary feature, (1) to view the summary, (2) to print the summary, and (3) to save the summary. For (1) and (2) the file is a temporary file internal to RMIR whose name is not relevant. In build 7, (3) is possible but means knowing about the summary.html file and manually copying it. I wasn't happy with this, but it meant that (3) was possible.

Your suggestion automatically solves (3) as it always saves the file, presumably in the same folder as the RMIR file. The problem with it is that for uses (1) and (2) these files are not actually wanted by the user. I would have preferred to do what IR.exe does and give the user the option to save the summary if desired, but as the HTML file opens in the browser, I could not see a way to do this. But I think I have come up with a solution. For the next build I have turned the Summary item on the File menu into a submenu with two entries, Create summary and Save last summary. Create summary behaves as at present, creating the summary.html file in the installation folder and then opening it in the default browser. Save last summary opens a Save dialog to save the last created summary.html with whatever name and location is desired. This can be while the browser is open or at any time before another summary is created. The user never needs to be aware of the summary.html file, which will continue to be overwritten by subsequent summaries so that there is never more than one temporary file.

I hope you think this meets your concern, though not in the way you suggested.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
I hope you think this meets your concern, though not in the way you suggested.

I guess saving the summary might seem redundant so maybe the filename is irrelevant. Just thought that if users wanted to save it, a unique filename is better than a generic one. Your upcoming solution seems to be the best compromise.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works great. I used the two step process: Save html, then save Last.
It printed fine from SeaMonkey, Vivaldi, old Opera v12. Used Landscape. Remember to supress background color in the browser unless already white.

Suggestions for content that should be useful for people like me often not knowing where I am or what I'm doing.
1. In Other Settings shift keycode is decimal. That's what extenders do. I never know what button I coded. Would it be possible for RMIR to take a peek at the RDF and translate to a key and just list it at the end of the report?
2. In Keymoves section - I'd like to see some indication where RMIR keymoves end and device keymoves begin the way it looks in RMIR - white and grey. Perhaps a blank line would do the job.
3. At the end, after Protocols, could you add the paths, file names and dates of the device .rmdu or keymap master .txt files used
4. Also at the end possibly add path of RDF. The assumption is that RDFs are now from the installation directory. But some old files might be using something else, so the point is to document a mess for debugging.

Thank you Graham for adding Summary and incorporating Mark's suggestions.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, Liz. They are the first indication I have had that anyone has found this feature to be useful Smile . I will look into your suggestions, though it may not be immediately. Numbers 3 and 4 should be do-able, 1 and 2 will be more of a problem, but I will see what I can do.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking.
I don't think #3 can be done. On ancient setups, if I don't know what .rmdu went into .rmir, how could you?
On newer files, perhaps IF open every .rmir device to see .rmdu ... nah, this can get messy.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz, I agree that 3 cannot be done. 2 and 4 will be in the next build. For 2, your suggestion of a blank line does not work, as the rows can be sorted in RMIR (by clicking a row header) and the summary preserves the sorted order, so the attached keymoves may not be consecutive. I have put a * after a row number for attached keymoves, with a note at the top of the table saying what a * means.

I don't see how to do 1, for several reasons. First, how to determine which are the settings for the Shift and Alt Shift keycodes, as there is no standardization of setting names. Secondly, for the URC-7781 extenders for example, the default values are 2 for Shift and 130 for Alt Shift. 2 is the keycode of Setup (called Magic, in fact, on that remote) so that can be identified. But 130 is not a keycode in the RDF, it is shifted Setup corresponding to pressing Setup twice. Have you any suggestions for getting round this? Is it a big issue anyway, as I thought Setup/Magic was the default key for shift on all remotes, and two presses was the default for Alt Shift in extenders and seldom changed except to nullify Alt Shift if so desired.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, thank you.
Good catch about blank line not good for sorted keymoves. * will do just fine.

Re #1: I think it can be done. I don't care about Alt-shift. It'll be always +128 of the base code, as far as I know.
See, the problem is some Shifting buttons are in inconvenient place so I relocate.
And it's silly busy work to do it by hand when I need to figure out where I put it:
Let's say it's for Atlas, extender 303 or 302 or 211.
- Read off the decimal value in RMIR. It's 61.
- Fire up Excel and convert to hex. It's $3D. Or struggle subtracting 48.
- Open RDF in explorer (not from RMIR 'cause it has no Find function)
- Find the hex value searching for "=$3D".
Done. It's a little square D button in the middle of the remote. Just copy what's left of "=".

I assume RDF is totally visible to RMIR, which should make it possible to decode as I do by hand. Yes? No?

Last edited by ElizabethD on Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more wish:
5. Would it be possible to make another Summary submenu with checkboxes of what section to summarise.
Something like:
-All sections (if unchecked, allow checking others)
-Macros
-Special Functions
-Device Buttons
etc.
For instance, to be able to check only Macros and Special Functions?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All done. There is a new item "Create summary selection" on the File > Summary menu, and I have even found a way of handling XShift (or Alt Shift) settings, giving for example

Shift Key is Magic
Alt Shift Key is Shift-Magic

This is just under the "Other Settings" heading and before the table. It is all in build 7 in the RMIR Development folder . Please give it a try and let me know how you get on.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, this is perfect, I love it. Summary is very useful to me. Thank you very much Smile
Items 1,2,4,5 work great. But...
I opened a can of worms with #1-decode shift buttons. It's fine for recent extenders such as RCA, Atlas.

Extender writers in the old days used different words. So for me 6131, 7800, 8910 don't decode. I suspect it would take a lot of work to sift through all extender RDFs to collect at least Shift button codes. And if nobody is using the Summary, it's not worth the effort.
Unless you can just zoom in by using widcard? *shift* or something like that instead of exact phrases.
Here's my tiny collection of the result on remotes I have:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26034
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned the problem with settings names not being standard when you first raised #1, but I thought I had solved it with wildcards. Your testing brought up variants I had not noticed, especially "Shift Button Keycode". I think I've caught all variants this time, so please try development build 8, in the usual folder.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, Just tried build 8. Boy, you're fast!
Thank you. Summary is wonderful. Your tweaks worked. All Done.

Edit: I also love that on the Keymoves tab that floating box about shaded keymoves is gone (Rob asked for it in the external functions thread). But the important messages (are you sure to delete) are still here. Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: