JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

learning code on remote with extension

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tnkrer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: learning code on remote with extension Reply with quote

Why I need this -
I have LG TV and a vizio sound bar in the same room. Sound bar is used as a Bluetooth speaker for music from phones/computers etc. It is not connected to the TV.
The problem is when I am watching TV and increase/decrease volume, sound bar turns on. The volume up/down for LG works for visio sound bar as well.

where as visio's volume up and down does not activate LG's volume up/down

So I guess visio sound bar responds to multiple vol up/down signals.

When I use actual LG TV remote's volume buttons, it does not activate Visio sound bar. So that brings me to my question

I figured a solution would be to learn the vol up/down of the LG manufacturer remote. and replace the vol up/down on the TV device.

I read the extender FAQ, so I understand that the process is to deactivate the extender (RCRP05B, V3.04) learn the codes, decode the codes, replace in the device upgrade, activate the extender, upload new remote ..

Is there a better/quicker way? If not,
how do I deactivate/activate this extender? I understand it does not deactivate when batteries are removed or new image is uploaded.
(found the answer)

After I learn the codes, how do I decode those?
I searched for something similar in the forum, but was unable to find something that would help.

Thanks

ETA: readme says how to deactivate - Long-press setup to deactivate extender
The keymove to activate is on the TV/OK key (not visible to RMIR). To activate, press the TV/OK key
after initial upload to the remote. When the extender is activated, the device button
will flash 4 times to indicate activation. Until deactivated, the extender will remain
active.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/JP1_-_Just_How_Easy_Is_It%3F#Starting_a_New_Upgrade_and_the_Setup_Tab
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an LG TV and a Vizio sound bar, so I may be able to help, but I'm not quite sure I understand your quesiton. In the first paragraph you said:
Quote:
The volume up/down for LG works for vizio sound bar as well.
And in the 4th paragraph you say
Quote:
When I use actual LG TV remote's volume buttons, it does not activate Visio sound bar.

So I am not quite sure of your current situation. I believe that what you want is that the Vizio remote operate only the Vizio volume and your JP1 remote only operate the LG volume. But I'm not quite sure that is the actual desired solution.

Clarify the problem and I will see what I can recommend.
tnkrer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/JP1_-_Just_How_Easy_Is_It%3F#Starting_a_New_Upgrade_and_the_Setup_Tab

Thanks mdavej. I will try this out this weekend, unless of course pH7_jp1 has a simpler solution.

pH7_jp1 wrote:
I have an LG TV and a Vizio sound bar, so I may be able to help, but I'm not quite sure I understand your quesiton. In the first paragraph you said:
Quote:
The volume up/down for LG works for vizio sound bar as well.
And in the 4th paragraph you say
Quote:
When I use actual LG TV remote's volume buttons, it does not activate Visio sound bar.

Thanks pH7.

LG Vol up/down on DEV_TV from my jp1 remote which uses one of the LG OLED TV files from the file section does volume up/down on the LG TV and vizio sound bar. However, the OEM TV remote volume up/down does not change volume on the vizio sound bar.

pH7_jp1 wrote:
So I am not quite sure of your current situation. I believe that what you want is that the Vizio remote operate only the Vizio volume and your JP1 remote only operate the LG volume. But I'm not quite sure that is the actual desired solution.

Clarify the problem and I will see what I can recommend.

What I want is my jp1 remote should only operate vizio sound bar when I am on DEV_AUD and only operate TV volume when I am on DEV_TV. I obviously do not want to use any OEM remote.
My assumption based on my observations is that OEM LG remote is sending some different signals for volume up/down than what my LG TV upgrade is doing. After learning that code, I hope to apply that on my LG TV upgrade rmdu file.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I understand your problem better. It sounds like your approach - to re-enable learning just to see the how the commands sent by the LG remote differ from the commands in your file is a good approach.

My Vizio sound bar can be trained to respond to any IR commands for Vol Up, Vol Down, and Mute and I thought that your bar might have had such training, but it doesn't sound like that is the issue.
tnkrer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
My Vizio sound bar can be trained to respond to any IR commands for Vol Up, Vol Down, and Mute and I thought that your bar might have had such training, but it doesn't sound like that is the issue.

hmm, if my sound bar has that feature, I might be able to use that. I need to find the manual for the bar. Its SB3830, not a very high end model. So probably does not have this feature

Thanks!
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual: https://cdn.vizio.com/documents/sb3830c6m/qsg-sb3830c6m.pdf

But you are right - I don't think I saw that feature there.
tnkrer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
The manual: https://cdn.vizio.com/documents/sb3830c6m/qsg-sb3830c6m.pdf

But you are right - I don't think I saw that feature there.

yup, There was some feature called "VIZIO TV Remote Control" that seemed promising, but that did not change the sound bar behavior.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I had something, but on re-reading you original post I see that there is no connection from your TV to the sound bar. So when you are watching TV the sound from the Vizio is not the TV sound, but from some other device?

In your programming of the JP1 remote do you accidentally have volume punchthrough set to the Vizio? That could explain why the Vizio volume changes, but not why the TV volume changes as well. If you upload your rmir file, I might be able to spot something.
tnkrer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update: After retrying VIZIO TV Remote Control setting, I was able to bring sound bar to a state where its volume up/down is not activated by TV remote. However, volume up on the TV remote turns the sound bar on Sad (Weirdly, volume down does not). So this is still not working for me. (when the speaker turns on, it tells the bluetooth connected devices to start playing music/whatever where it was paused

My observation that LG OEM remote volume up/down does not activate vizio sound bar was incorrect.
When LG OEM remote was pointed at the sound bar, the remote changed volume on the sound bar. My initial observation was based on pointing the remote towards the TV which is on the opposite wall. I think that the OEM remote had older/weaker batteries and so may be its signal strength was weaker and it did not reflect off the wall to reach the sound bar. So learning is not going to help.

Quote:
In your programming of the JP1 remote do you accidentally have volume punchthrough set to the Vizio?

no. each device button macro sets its own volume (at the moment they all use DEV_TV;Set_Vol except AUD which uses DEV_AUD;Set_Vol.

Anyway, with the OEM remote behaving exactly like my JP1 upgrade for LG TV, I think there is no good solution.

I am planning to go low-tech. Cover the portion of the speaker that receives the signal when watching TV and move it when listening to music
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were not 1500 miles from my Vizio, I would do some experiments. But that isn't possible right now.

I intentionally programmed my Vizio to respond to the LG vol commands. This lets me use the LG menu to send the sound to the TV speakers or to the Visio and since only one or the other is in use at a time, this causes me no problem. But that means if mine behaves just like yours, I would never have known.

Grasping at straws here - Have you tried to do a factory reset of the Vizio followed by turning off the "VIZIO TV Remote" feature and then testing again? Probably won't change anything, but it's about all I can think of. Other than that, I'm pretty much out of ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: